katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6616 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 161 of 377
20 June 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I can agree that those emails look strange. :) But, having read web forums for several years I can only say the written language can differ a lot from the spoken language, it could be worse and it could be very formal. By reading sample posts in Swedish from people I've met, one can't believe they are native speakers, but not everybody has good writing skills.

I read a few of those e-mails. I wouldn't even call it "formal" English. It doesn't have a natural feel to it in any way. But I have no reason not to believe he speaks 56 languages. I'm enjoying this "Mystery of Ziad Fazah" immensely and I'm looking forward to future installments!
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6774 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 162 of 377
20 June 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
So am I, especially his new website.

gtlaau
Australia
Joined 6550 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 163 of 377
24 June 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys

My name is Graham Anderson and i am from Australia.
I can only speak English.

This is my first post.

I just got off the phone with Ziad Fazah.
Firstly i must say he is such a nice guy. He spent 50mins
Talking with me about learning languages and how he is going to teach me etc...   this was the first time i have spoken with him. He was very down to earth and you can tell he is a very passionate person.

Some people have asked how fluent he is. well i cannot say for his other languages(because i dont speak any)
But his english is flawless.

One of the goals in my life is to join the Royal Marines
in England(one of the others is to be a polyglot). And to help ensure that i achieved this goal
I want to be able to speak multible languages(not that it is required).

I told Ziad that to look good for the marines i would like to be able to speak Arabic and persian.

In a couple weeks he is going to start teaching me persian. Ziad told me it is easier to learn persian first then arabic. so thats what i am going to do.

None of you should hesitate in giving him a call or an email or you can use skype(he wont be on skype for a couple days so try it on tues-thursday)

Here is here contact info
ziadyfazah@yahoo.com.br

21 2557 9153 Home Phone Number
21 9602 3067 Mobile Phone
and his Skype contact is ziadyfazah

he told me to tell you guys that you can ask him anything you want but if you call him on his phone please
be aware of timezones(would you like to be woken up at 3am)

he will be teaching me thru skype and email and thru audio downloads he will make for me etc...

He told me that there is no silver bullet to learning languages you have to be dedicated, passionate and work hard at it. He said it wont take to long for me to get a hang of the language once i understand how it works(thats one of the things he teaches you is how the language works)

I should be starting lessons with him in a couple of weeks. I cant wait for it.

If anyone has any questions fire away

sorry for the long post(i hope it was clear i am a bit energetic and pumped after talking to him)

Lastly i would like to say thanks to Fanatic 1. for his maths book(brilliant) 2. for his language book and thats how i found the forum

and also to David Maswary for answering some of my questions and encouraging me to give Ziad a call.

Cyas later

Gra

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6627 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 164 of 377
24 June 2006 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to this site gtlaau! :-) And good luck with the lessons, let us know how things turn out.

Dave M
Groupie
United States
bfmfightwear.com
Joined 6685 days ago

56 posts - 63 votes 

Message 165 of 377
24 June 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Site update, I have paid a web developer and I am encouraging Ziad to move his ass. It will be pretty basic covering at least

1 - Intro
2 - FAQ
3 - Basic Bio
4 - Contact Info
5 - A photo Gallery
6 - Video clips

The original tv video clip of him has been lost but I will scan everything I can from his scrapbook and I will add as many video clips as I can with my camera language by language - that is to say we will find a Chinese speaker, set up a conversation, record it and post it. As its Brazil some languages will be easier to find than others. Were looking at logistical solutions for things like a web cam, online conversation software and mic and payment methods, probably Paypal and Bank transfers as merchant accounts are expensive.

I am happy for all of you who have contacted him and encourage everyone to do so. By the end of the year, when my Hindi and Chinese are where I want them to be and when Im into Arabic,French and Japanese (next 3) I will start moving towards my goal of modernizing the language learning methods employed around the world so that barriers between people are broken down and talented people like the ones here have a place to start their first forays into a field truly needing help.

translator2
United States
Joined 6678 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 166 of 377
24 June 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Dave,

Why not set up a Paypal Donate button and post the link here. Interested users can donate $1, $5, $10 or more to help set up this site and/or pay him for his time? Paypal Donate

While waiting for conversational videos, why not have him read a short sample or give a short speech in each of his languages a la Steve Kaufmann?

Dave M
Groupie
United States
bfmfightwear.com
Joined 6685 days ago

56 posts - 63 votes 

Message 167 of 377
25 June 2006 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Who is Steve Kaufman?

A Paypal donate button would be great, Ill put the idea out there.

I think your idea is excellent. My main concern is that so many people will visit the site just to say " see he's no t that good after all."

The reality is that after 35 somewhat years in Brazil some languages he has had no access to at all and will need time to remember so I came up with the conversation with speakers idea to make it more evident but that is a more conevnient start. We can add video clips as they come up and a goood dozen or more natives can be found around here with some difficulty.

So yeah thanks I think that is a great idea!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 168 of 377
25 June 2006 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Steve Kaufmann, author of "The Linguist, A Personal Guide to Language Learning", developer of The Linguist website (discussion about it HERE) and member of this forum.

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version