Language Learning Forum : Polyglots (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
377 messages over 48 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 ... 47 48 Next >>
Will
United States
Joined 6698 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 257 of 377
30 March 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
For those who have the ability to call Mr. Fazah, would it be permissible for them to record their conversation with him with the intention of posting segments of those conversations?

Even if the conversation segments are in languages I do not understand it would be encouraging to hear the voice of an individual such as Mr. Fazah.

Even if it is permissible, that does not mean those who have the ability to contact him will desire to take up the challenge of recording and uploading bits of their conversations though. Just an idea.

Perhaps good idea in form, but would be bad in delivery?
1 person has voted this message useful

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6215 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 258 of 377
31 March 2007 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
There comes a software for free on the net which can record your skype conversations (as in mp3 format). It goes soemthing like: powergramo. Download and Install it from internet. Dave can do this easily, as he is in constant touch with him and takes private lessons from him in person. It is very much possible to record Ziad's conversations.

Will
United States
Joined 6698 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 259 of 377
31 March 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
In ages past many gifted individuals have walked this planet and many of those people we likely have never even heard of. Others that we have heard of we only know of through their own writings or the writings done by others. All that could be done to relate the stories of those people was to put the ink to paper.

Ziad Fazah exist at a point of human development when technology makes his story easily recorded. The fact that he is a mega accomplished polyglot makes the recorded word even more precious. Had he just been an Isaac Newton, Galileo or Beethoven, ink on paper would have sufficed to record his existence for those who follow on this earth.

What a shame to let Ziad Fazah's words and story exist only in the temporal world of skype and scant blurps found through google searches.

Dave M
Groupie
United States
bfmfightwear.com
Joined 6686 days ago

56 posts - 63 votes 

Message 260 of 377
31 March 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Ill see if hes willing to do it. Please keep in mind, some languages he sopeaks better than others, he doesnt have much time to review. By the standards of many of you here he wouldnt qualify.

Many of you sopeak 5 languages or so and hold an impossibly high standard. Il see what I can do but you have to be relaistic in things like Cambodian,Thai and Vietnamese which he hasnt spoken in ages and will have to review while maintainng a full workday. I have an idea how we can do it however and like I said I can personally vouch for about 12 of his languages personally and I know his process very well too so I will do what I can.

Will
United States
Joined 6698 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 261 of 377
31 March 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Well that is what I meant by this

Will wrote:
...but would be bad in delivery?

It might sound good to record someone and upload the audio but also the uploaded audio could cause the people speaking to unjustly come off in a bad light.

I still hold that it is a shame to not have Ziad Fazah's story recorded in some manner. There are very intelligent people on this forum. Some of them have even had their own books published.

How many writers out there would beat a path to the man's doorstep to have a chance to write a book on him?

Dave M
Groupie
United States
bfmfightwear.com
Joined 6686 days ago

56 posts - 63 votes 

Message 262 of 377
31 March 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
I am going to do it. I see him 3x a week. We have been talking about it for some time.

Will
United States
Joined 6698 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 263 of 377
31 March 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I hope I am still around to read the book (with audio?). Time is short.

If it can be done, a tastefully done uploaded audio clip would be appreciated. Not an audio clip that feels it needs to prove anything but just to hear the man's voice would be welcome by me.

You know, for the grandkids. I can tell them that I heard the great polyglot Ziad Fazah speak.

Wishing you the best Dave in your future ventures.

Edited by Will on 31 March 2007 at 9:04am

Fyodor
Diglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6457 days ago

27 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Swedish, Mandarin, German

Message 264 of 377
02 April 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
asad100101 wrote:
Dave_M,

If I want to call him on his cell phone no , what country code should I dial? How did you call him from usa?

I would like to try to speak with him in Russian.
Can anyone remind me his number?
What is the time difference with Greenwich?
Thanks.

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version