Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6450 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 297 of 377
02 October 2007 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Wow, that's a really bad performance. Obviously, he doesn't know Finnish, Persian, Russian, and Chinese very well. I would have done equally well on that show!

PS: It's very reassuring though, at least it shows he's human.

Edited by Marc Frisch on 02 October 2007 at 3:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6240 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 298 of 377
02 October 2007 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
His pronunciation in Persian was awful, like a zero beginner was trying to read the text first time. Poor guy!

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6450 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 299 of 377
02 October 2007 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
I was really shocked when he read that Persian text, I don't know Persian but he read hesitantly and the Persian speaker didn't seem to be very impressed.
Given his native language Arabic, Persian should be one of the easiest languages for him.

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6240 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 300 of 377
02 October 2007 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
I took a close look at that text. It did not contain many complex words to pronounce. I would perform better than him given the chance. As you already know that, our national anthem is written in Persian. So I have a fair bit of idea of how to pronounce those words.

<<<Given his native language Arabic, Persian should be one of the easiest languages for him.>>>

Absolutely!

morphy
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
France
modernerasmus.com
Joined 6175 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: French*, Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 301 of 377
02 October 2007 at 6:00am | IP Logged 

Well, I know the video is extremely bad, but I believe we should wait for other elements before making a final judgment on Ziad Fazah's linguistic capabilities.

First, the video seems to be only an extract of the original show. It was meant to be shown on a 50 years anniversary of the TV station and it looks as if it was only concentrating on the funny and ridiculous side of the interview (which is, I must add, a bit saddening and pitiful for Ziad). I can hardly believe that he did that badly without giving a few correct sentences.

Secondly, Ziad appeared on other shows doing well. It would be interesting to see those other videos...

Thirdly, some people on this forum stated that they talked with Ziad in their native languages and that he did "ok", which is normal if he's rusty in that language...

At last, I must add another thing about the importance of language practicing throughout the years. Ziad learned most of his languages before the age of 20. He probably spoke the other languages only a few times, thus forgetting a lot.
I spoke for example a bit of Armenian still a few years ago, but can't remember much of it now. Sure it could get back if I were to speak to some old friends again, but it'll need time.
I wouldn't however know how to describe Ziad: as a record holder, or as someone who can speak some 10 languages fluently (which is great by itself) and has knowledge about some 50 others...?!

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6727 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 302 of 377
02 October 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
morphy wrote:

Well, I know the video is extremely bad, but I believe we should wait for other elements before making a final judgment on Ziad Fazah's linguistic capabilities.

First, the video seems to be only an extract of the original show. It was meant to be shown on a 50 years anniversary of the TV station and it looks as if it was only concentrating on the funny and ridiculous side of the interview (which is, I must add, a bit saddening and pitiful for Ziad). I can hardly believe that he did that badly without giving a few correct sentences.

Three of those languages Dave claims he speaks excellently, and in the case of Mandarin, "truly truly excellently". Clearly this is just not so.

morphy wrote:
Secondly, Ziad appeared on other shows doing well. It would be interesting to see those other videos...

I'll believe it when I see it. I started off skeptical but gave Dave and Ziad the benefit of the doubt, until I saw this clip.

morphy wrote:
Thirdly, some people on this forum stated that they talked with Ziad in their native languages and that he did "ok", which is normal if he's rusty in that language...

Most of those people only have a handful of posts to their names, with very few posts, if any, outside this very thread. Mere sock-puppets, perhaps. I don't think a single established member verified more than a language or two.

morphy wrote:
At last, I must add another thing about the importance of language practicing throughout the years. Ziad learned most of his languages before the age of 20. He probably spoke the other languages only a few times, thus forgetting a lot.
I spoke for example a bit of Armenian still a few years ago, but can't remember much of it now. Sure it could get back if I were to speak to some old friends again, but it'll need time.
I wouldn't however know how to describe Ziad: as a record holder, or as someone who can speak some 10 languages fluently (which is great by itself) and has knowledge about some 50 others...?!

Again, this doesn't jive with, for example, speaking Mandarin "truly, truly excellently", and an inability to read basic Persian words, a tongue close to his native one, when again, he is purported to speak it "excellently".

I find translator2's analysis of the situation a favourable one, that is, he learned some basic grammar and phrases and thought that this would get him by. Again, as translator2 says, the phrase "the emperor is naked" was MADE for Ziad Fazah.
2 persons have voted this message useful

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6249 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 303 of 377
02 October 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
A reminder that this site has a short description of the guy:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/guide/ziad-fazah.html

Quote:
... The guy speaks, reads and understand more than 40 languages, most of them learned before he was 20!

He has been invited several times on TV shows and has been tested by speakers of such odd (please excuse me) languages as mongolian and hungarian, always with success.

Admins, would you please attach this YouTube clip, just to show how 'successful' he was?

Dave, you have failed to deliver what you have promised. We really have enough of your lies.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6435 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 304 of 377
02 October 2007 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Ouch!

I like the caption "Qué %/$%# Hago Aquí"!

I wonder why the producers didn't verify that he was able to handle it beforehand, with some sample sentences, etc. I suppose they knew that while it would be entertaining to see him succeed, it would probably be more entertaining to see him fail! Well, maybe that's a bit too cynical...

Edited by apparition on 02 October 2007 at 11:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version