United States
Joined 6678 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 313 of 377
02 October 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I thought the same thing. My apologies.

apparition wrote:

I thought you were saying that because it was dubbed poorly, it might not have been authentic or something. I thought you meant "funny" as in "fishy," or "not genuine", not "haha" funny. My mistake!

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6434 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 314 of 377
03 October 2007 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Absolutely incredible! Proof positive that this person is a fraud and people still refuse to accept it. God save me from your followers...

I agree with you.
I understand the video clip perfectly well and there isn't synchronization problems.
It proofs this man spoke Spanish and he didn't speak the other languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6701 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 315 of 377
03 October 2007 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks translator2, I'll have to check that story out some day (when I learn Portuguese).

edwin wrote:
alang wrote:

edwin wrote:

Dave, you have failed to deliver what you have promised. We really have enough of your lies.

Pretty extreme accusative statement. I personally will continue to wait until DaveM presents his side of the story. Between sooner or later. I hope it is sooner. He could shed more light on the subject.

Please continue to wait on behalf of us. I personally have waited for more than half a year. Some people have even waited for nearly 2 years!

But if you spend time going through the past posts by DaveM, you can tell that he is playing game with us.

Indeed. Even a mere photo of Dave M with Ziad still hasn't been provided, and that was promised 2 years ago.

At this moment in time, we can't deny the possibility that Dave was a conman, planning on charging money for the language lessons with Ziad and then probably taking off.

There are a few inconsistencies in Dave's story which, upon cross-examination, he got all "offended" and very defensive over, such as with Ziad's computer skills. Initially Dave says that Ziad is a computer genius, then when it came time to substantiate his connection to Ziad by setting up his website, Ziad was suddenly inept with computers, then when asked about this, he said Ziad was "normal" with computers, and got very defensive about it.

Another inconsistency which comes to mind is how Dave claimed to be competent in Mandarin in a matter of weeks.

If you follow this line of reasoning, then it seems obvious that Dave has probably never even met Ziad.

Whether or not Dave M sought to profit from us remains to be seen, but I think there can be little doubt that he has been stringing us along the whole time.

Edited by Walshy on 03 October 2007 at 4:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6172 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 316 of 377
03 October 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
It is possible that Dave M is Ziad Fazah promoting himself?

Polyphemes
Bilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
Virgin Islands
Joined 6048 days ago

48 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch*, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Bulgarian, Greek

Message 317 of 377
03 October 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Hahaha, I find that very funny. I hadn't thought about it that way.
Though nothing should be ruled out ;)

I am not taking any "side" in this, but I would like to see what DaveM has to say about this. Because he has been keeping awfully quiet, unfortunately.

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6214 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 318 of 377
03 October 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
I talked to Dave Maswary on the phone before, say, a few months ago.. He is not Ziad Fazah for sure because his English accent is pure American. I think I should write an email to him and let him know about this new video evidence. It'd also help open his eyes.

Edited by asad100101 on 03 October 2007 at 8:50am

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6046 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 319 of 377
03 October 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Edwin and Translator2,

I find it amusing how both of you have quickly jumped at the opportunity to see this man fail on one attempt.

I'm sure it made you happy to see a person whom takes the very same interests we do in our language learning fail. What a great support system! I was saddened, not by his failure, but the pathetic, immature reactions of those around him in the audience and the hosts.

I personally don't think this video proves anything at all in either way about his abilities. Being on National TV is not exactly the easiest thing to do, particularly when you are being tested at random on the spot, with possibly no revision -- or have been mislead and be tested on languages totally different <-- he could have been setup too. And looking at the reactions of the hosts and audiences, you can tell they weren't exactly very supportive at all, or try to let him save face, which just futher complicates his position, demoralizes him and destroys his confidence.

As for Dave M, I recall him stating very early in this thread about this very video in the beginning and suggested that Ziad was nervous. He in fact, did make reference to this video before -- in case you have not read the thread in it's entirety (Edwin).

I can believe he is nervous, just given his behaviour as observed and the general mystery that surrounds him, he's not outspoken, he's not flamboyant, he's appears to be a reserved elderly man. If he wasn't, you would hear more about him on the Internet.

Throw any introvert in front of a TV camera like that, and I'm sure you will get a deer in the headlights reaction.

Keep in mind, he did have the confidence to appear on a TV show to demonstrate his skills. Whether he was ready or not is another story. But his confidence must be worth something. I don't think anyone would purposely go on national TV and purposely humiliate themselves. Would you? So there must be some kind of basis to his claims or confidence level.

I do agree it would have been more wise for him to simply say "I don't know." Instead of coming up with anything just for the sake of a response. Then again, he may have been desperate, cornered and felt his reputation was on the line. By providing further responses he just made his situation worse. Bad judgement on his part.

Lets not forget. This man did make it into the GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS. As far as I'm concerned, that organization does have standards, and polyglottery is another area which is highly competitive for that 'title.' I'm sure many interpretors and translators of the world would love to have that wouldn't they? would be great for their resume, marketing campaigns and brochures! So I'm pretty sure when he was inducted into Guiness at that time, that they did their research.

Walshy,

Dave M, whether we like him or not. He was the only purpose that successfully provided any sort of contact information of Ziad Fazah, at a time when many people were actually VERY convinced that Ziad Fazah didn't even exist! Whether he knows him or not; providing PHONE numbers for a person when everyone else thinks is fictional is pretty damn impressive in either case.

Edited by xtremelingo on 03 October 2007 at 9:58am

Polyphemes
Bilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
Virgin Islands
Joined 6048 days ago

48 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch*, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Bulgarian, Greek

Message 320 of 377
03 October 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
But DaveM mentioned Mr Fazah had been "cheated" once before on a show in Chile... Probably the show in question. I wonder who put it on Youtube because it has been added two weeks ago, I believe. And it would be interesting to see if there are any 'good' videos. People from Brazil mentioned those.
Couldn't it just be he had some 'black-out'? I don't want to judge people to harshly by just one shaky appearance on tv, it seems a bit unfair. However what's really strange is that as a native speaker from Arabic he should have that much trouble with Persian, but maybe it's really just his nerves or some sort of black-out. However, what has been mentioned before here and which is a bit 'weird' is that he 'made up' answers - and there is no use denying that. This is a bit puzzling.
But to be honest, I really did pity the man... Like one of the commentaries on youtube said 'No quiero estar en sus pantalones' (I don't want to stand in his shoes)... I don't think we should be too harsh on him, though. Everybody makes mistakes and has a weak day. Why, even I made a terrible mistake on this forum not so long ago ;)

I have to say I am really anxious to know how this whole matter will evolve... I find myself checking the forum quite often for news on this.
It would be great if someone were to contact DaveM. What's puzzling as well is this news about the website he started making about a year ago - or even more. I am not attacking anyone, just listing up facts. And like said before, many, many of these facts are quite contradictionary. We have proof, however, that he exists... But we do not have any proof yet that he really speaks all of these languages.
By the way, of the top of my head... If you're listed in the Guinness book of records it has to be verified by multiple sources, right? I mean, it has to be recorded, there has to be a certain number of witnesses and so on... Wouldn't that be some sort of 'proof' as well? Because there are probably many, many people who want to appear in this book so they should have a strict set of rules for those who intend to get their name in the book.
Well, that's it. To those that know who they are: Say something, please.

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version