Ziad Fazah - does he exist?

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
377 messages over 48 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 ... 47 48 Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 345 of 377
05 October 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Walshy wrote:
Why does it even matter? What are you guys taking a freaking wikipedia article so seriously for?

Welcome to the internet! ;-)

Edited by apparition on 05 October 2007 at 9:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6628 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 346 of 377
05 October 2007 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Walshy wrote:
Why does it even matter? What are you guys taking a freaking wikipedia article so seriously for?

Because other people take it seriously, so to see it from that point of view, it has to be addressed.

Dave M
Groupie
United States
bfmfightwear.com
Joined 6686 days ago

56 posts - 63 votes 

Message 347 of 377
05 October 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I see their is a crucifixion underway.....

I brought nails.....

I will also say that con man is a strong acusation about someone who gave you the mans personal phone number and asked you to speak to him yourselves. If you are so intent on trying the mans life in public call him yourselves. I have no idea how well a native will judge his Persian or his Chinese mostly because I wasn´t born in Iran or China (Taiwan,Singapore elsewhere). Someone else mentioned that I will feign righteous indignation.......Well my good name is being sullied for what? I said and I am specific. " I am his student and here is his contact info, go find out for yourselves."

Did I ask for your credit card numbers?
Did I say you too can enjoy the powers of language learning for 24.99$
Did I ask for anything or do anything other than defend a friend and teacher?
Did I say I was in Guiness?

Until 10 minutes ago I didnt even see the video nor did I know of its existence. I have asked Ziad for videos before and he said they are with his brother in the South of Brazil. I will see him next week and let him know of its existence and Ill ask him to show up or talk about it.

I will also ask you all to tread carefully. Regardless of what you may think of his Finnish abilities he puts food on his table teaching English mostly to Brazilians and he does an excellent job. You are messing with a mans livelihood. You arent doing it based on your conversations or personal opinions (phone number is on thread - reminder. You're doing it based on a YouTube clip and a message board. Thats all I have to say about that.

To those of you (bahut shukriya mera dost Asad)who have given me the benefit of the doubt (you guys know who you are thanks!) thank you.

Some of you who brought a noose and a horse to the tree in the town center...... I dont understand why. I answer e mails. I have been on this thread. I wouldnt have even known about this video unless 2 friends of mine on this board brought it to my attention. I have been very forthright about personal information. Please explain to me where the con was. I met Ziad by chance less than 2 years ago or therabouts. I shared the information where I thought it would be appropriate. I was promptly called a liar and other not so nice things. So - wheres the con?

mlewan
France
lewan.chez-alice.fr/
Joined 6020 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes

Message 348 of 377
05 October 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Could we get the full text of the video for the benefit of those of us who do not understand all the languages. I'll try to start with what I understood, leaving out the Spanish bits, as I'm sure others can spell that better than I can.

The Finnish lady:

koko maa... - the whole country

viisi milion... - five million
suomen... - Finnish

suomen ya ruotsi ya samen... - Finnish and Swedish and Sami

Here it seems she was interrupted in the clip or by Fazah? I did not understand what she actually wanted to say.

The Farsi gentleman:

I have no idea.

The Russian gentleman:

Какой севодня день недели? (What day of the week is it today?)

The Chinese gentleman:

五十八

可谓

中国普通话

困难

在地球上

在月球上
看到唯一

是什么?

It is a little confusing as he starts talking about the 58 languages Fazah is supposed to understand and how difficult Chinese is (I think), and then suddenly comes the test question about what the only human made object is that can be seen from the moon.

It would be nice if someone could correct and fill in the blanks above.

Edit: Corrected viisi to "five" - not "four".

Edited by mlewan on 06 October 2007 at 3:40am

mlewan
France
lewan.chez-alice.fr/
Joined 6020 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes

Message 349 of 377
05 October 2007 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
There have been some far too harsh words about you, Dave, but you cannot claim complete innocence. Today you write:

Dave M wrote:

I have no idea how well a native will judge his Persian or his Chinese

But 30 March 2007 you wrote

Dave M wrote:

He spoke to him in Persian which is one of his strongest languages

and the 9 April 2007 you wrote

Dave M wrote:

His Mandarin is excellent, truly truly excellent

The certitude with which you wrote the statements at the beginning of the year is not really consistent with what you wrote today.

Edited by mlewan on 06 October 2007 at 3:37am

3 persons have voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6047 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 350 of 377
05 October 2007 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Dave M,

apkee basha main both sidhar agaya hai. :)

Thank you for also showing respect to your mentor/teacher. It is very refreshing to know that some students are very loyal to their counsellors.

Don't mind some people on this forum. Over the last few weeks of being here, I have realized there are some very strange people here, some that are always looking for an arguement with practically no basis. Some appear to be very emotionally distraught/irritable by what happens on these forums, I can only imagine what they may be like in person.

Anyhow, don't let them get to you.

I would love to hear more about Mr. Fazah's methods and since you are probably the most reliable link, your insights on your own language-training would be very valueable to I and many others.

Edited by xtremelingo on 05 October 2007 at 7:55pm

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 6981 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 351 of 377
05 October 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
DaveM,

Glad to see you are back on the forum. It is unfortunate that the circumstances were not better. Some people making sensational remarks is not the best way to welcome a member back. Especially when you provided important information for the forum.

xtremelingo,

I can say that you really make great points. After all, this is what this website is about. All about learning to progress in what many of us have an interest in and that is languages.

The mob mentality displayed earlier was extremely ugly.

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6702 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 352 of 377
06 October 2007 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I can't believe you people are calling me unreasonable. The conman remark was the only unreasonable thing I have said, and I have already expressed my regret over that.

The video clearly shows that Ziad is not as skilled as he has been made out to be, a wikipedia article can be altered by anybody who can operate a computer, but a video like that doesn't lie. I've already demolished the excuses for his poor performance, and yet you still call me unreasonable.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt for 2 years, Dave! Surely you can understand my frustration!?

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version