shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6810 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 33 of 377
30 August 2005 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Hmm, I don't know since when has Singlish take its present form. Is Singlish available at that time? No, this can't be right......the four major language in Singapore are Chinese, English, Hindi(am I right?), and Tamil, as I know. Since the former three were already taken for national languages, maybe they were referring to Tamil?
1 person has voted this message useful

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7100 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 377
30 August 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Epingchris, English, Chinese, Malay, Tamil are the official languages of Singapore. Singporean English, or Singlish, is a colloquial form of English spoken by many Singaporeans. It is English mixed with Hokkien, Mandarin, Malay and sometimes even Cantonese and Tamil.

Some of the expressions can be found no where else in the world. However, the Singaporean government is encouraging its citizens to speak less Singlish every day and learn "standard" English. (Though every educated person DOES know how to speak "standard" English)

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6927 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 35 of 377
31 August 2005 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
What exactly does all this have to do with the title of the thread 'Ziad Fazah - does he exist?'

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6810 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 36 of 377
31 August 2005 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Because on the list of the languages that Ziad Fazah speaks, there's "Singaporese", and we're trying to find out which language that is.

victor wrote:
English, Chinese, Malay, Tamil are the official languages of Singapore.

So it is. I got it now. Thanks.

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6927 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 37 of 377
01 September 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Ok. I was following the thread and then I lost it. Thanks for clearing that up epingchris.

Latin
Chile
Joined 6781 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 38 of 377
28 September 2005 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
If any reader has access to paper copies of the actual newspaper articles published about Ziad Fazah, or to tapes of the TV shows where he appeared I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Hi.
Well, I have read carefully all this thread. And I just want to add that I saw Ziad on a Tv show in the mid 90's in Chile, he was invited because 'of course' he 'is' the major polyglot in the world. The TV show was well prepared and some people in the studio were natives of not very common languages, I don't remember very well, but they were Chinese, Finnish, Hebrew, Arabic, and others. When the turn of this man came, these people ask him easy questions in their languages and here begin the catastrophe (some people would consider this story funny, but it is also sad at the same time) he started to sweata lot because he wasn't able to respond properly, it seemed that he didn't understand a word of what they were saying, he stuttered and mumbled trying to speak something coherent but he failed badly. At last he could speak something simple in Finnish I think, but of the others, almost nothing. It was very disturbing see this man collapsing in front of everybody, because he seemed a humble man, or I'd say an ingenuous man, he thought that he had learned of those languages.
But the story doesn't end here. After the show he claimed that nervousness was the cause of his failure. And the people of the program agreed to a new performance some months after. And here came this poor man again, same story, same ending, same failure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 39 of 377
28 September 2005 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Latin wrote:
The TV show was well prepared and some
people in the studio were natives of not very common
languages

Are you saying the TV show didn't float him any easy
pitches - common languages - just to get warmed up and
give him some dignity? If they were coming at him from
a "debunk" perspective, rather than an investigative
one, it reminds me of the movie, "Game Over - Kasparov
and the Machine" about the chessmaster and the IBM's
"Big Blue".

KingM
Triglot
michaelwallaceauthor
Joined 6973 days ago

275 posts - 300 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 40 of 377
28 September 2005 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
That is kind of sad, and it makes me wonder. Either he was seriously caught up in his own lies or he'd done the equivalent of listened to the Pimsleur tapes and thought he'd mastered the language. And of course, faced with real language at real speed he found himself in over his head.

Which is what happens to most of us the first time we try to use our new language in a practical setting. We say, "How much does this cost?" and expect to hear, "It costs 10 dollars," and the real answer is something like, "Well, let's see...that'll set you back a ten spot."

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version