Canada
Joined 5241 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 49 of 100
10 August 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
oldearth wrote:
Googling about the idea of frequency lists and "efficient" study methods is what led me to HTLAL in the first place.
It's been a big part of my study routine so far, but I'm no longer in the mindset of racing to the "finish." The more
I've learned, the more I realize I don't know.

Here's my take now: Whether or not learning X,000 words is the fastest way to basic fluency, I know that I
would like to learn at least 10k or so to achieve my desired reading level in my target language. Given that I need to
learn all these words anyway to meet my long term goal, why not front-load my study with vocabulary and
reading? Memorization is a low-stress way to get started, and with ~1300 words solidly behind me I think I'm a lot
less likely to walk away from this project than if I tried to attack it from the chunk or sentence level with zero
understanding of the component parts.

I'm still lost on most idioms for now, but having a lot of pieces sure does make it easier to get the gist of a
paragraph or conversation in spite of my lack of practical knowledge about how the 10 most frequent verbs can be
contorted in the spoken language. I'm just now starting to incorporate intensive tv and listening into my routine to
get my understanding of colloquialisms up to my reading level. Again, maybe not the most efficient way of going
about learning Spanish, but so far it's been a very enjoyable experience.

I think this a very valid approach and should be pursued if it produces the desired results. That said, I think the emphasis here--at least from my perspective-- is on actually speaking the language. We're not talking about learning all the contortions of the 10 most common verbs. It's more the idea that if you are going to use one of four verbs for nearly 40% of all the verbs you use, you should take a hard look at learning the essential forms of those four verbs. If you don't, then you end up tripping up, linguistically speaking, because you can't use those verbs accurately when they come up.

Again, the idea behind the so-called chunking hypothesis is that learning in chunks is conducive to developing true fluency because in real life you speak in complete phrases and not in detached words. Whether you learn 500 or 5,000 words, at some point you probably want to use them in sentences. Why do we understand more than we can speak in a foreign language? It's because we can recognize all those words but we can't really put them together spontaneously, accurately and idiomatically.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 100
10 August 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
I'm as interested as s_allard in learning chunks, but not because we eventually will need to speak (mostly) in complete sentences. That is also our motivation for learning single words.

Learning chunks has three purposes:

1) they are there, so if you want to speak idiomatically you must willy-nilly know them.

2) they are identified as chunks specifically because they can make your speech stick together (not all idiomatic or fixed expressions have that quality).

3) while you say them you have time to think about your next intelligent and independent remark

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 51 of 100
10 August 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
3) while you say them you have time to think about your next intelligent and independent remark

Ahhh. I'm supposed to make intelligent remarks as well ? I had better just shut up then ......

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5241 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 52 of 100
10 August 2011 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'm as interested as s_allard in learning chunks, but not because we eventually will need to speak (mostly) in complete sentences. That is also our motivation for learning single words.

Learning chunks has three purposes:

1) they are there, so if you want to speak idiomatically you must willy-nilly know them.

2) they are identified as chunks specifically because they can make your speech stick together (not all idiomatic or fixed expressions have that quality).

Although Iversen and I seem basically to agree on learning "chunks" or, as I would say, learning "by chunks", I'm afraid that I don't really understands what Iversen means by chunks. I would really like to see some examples. How do chunks differ from idiomatic or fixed expressions? And I still don't understand what using chunks has to do with having time to "think about your next intelligent and independent remark." And on a minor note, I wonder what "you must willy-nilly know them" means. Does that mean "thoroughly" or "haphazardly?"

But let me give some very simple Spanish examples of my understanding of learning by chunks. In my favourite soap opera there are a few examples of telephone conversations. The most common way of answering a personal telephone call is "Sí dígame". You can break this expression down into its component parts translated into "Yes, tell me" but you learn it as one chunk. In the same way, you learn that people often use the greeting, "Hola, buenos días" which would seem redundant in translation to our ears. You also continuously hear "de verdad" for "really". So you learn to use these chunks and you kill two birds with one stone. First, you have something real to say and, second, you learn the words and the grammar that binds them.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 100
10 August 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I think that it was a video by Splog ("FluentCzech") that convinced me of the value of the word 'chunk'.

Chunks form a subgroup of the fixed/idiomatic expressions of a language, and the thing that characterizes them is that they are used as 'glue' to making your conversation stick together. I'm slightly wary of the word 'filler' because it implies that you ONLY say something to fill out a hole (so that your conversation partners don't get the chance to take over). Actually some chunks seem to have this function, but in other cases they can be used to organize an argument into sections, to make people listen or to hint at the logical structure of your argument. Ideally they fill the same role in fluent speech as function functions in syntax. But alas, not all chunks are used for better communication...

examples:

A fixed expression that isn't a chunk: "fixed expression"
A chunk: "by the way"

At least that's how I define chunks

Edited by Iversen on 10 August 2011 at 4:31pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 54 of 100
10 August 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'm slightly wary of the word 'filler' because it implies that you ONLY say something to fill out a hole (so that your conversation partners don't get the chance to take over).

Ok, but that's pretty much the definition of "while you say them you have time to think about your next intelligent and independent remark", which you said about chunks.

I still prefer the word "filler". I would assume chunks to refer to groups of words you learn together, not fillers.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 55 of 100
10 August 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
oldearth wrote:
Here's my take now: Whether or not learning X,000 words is the fastest way to basic fluency, I know that I would like to learn at least 10k or so to achieve my desired reading level in my target language. Given that I need to
learn all these words anyway to meet my long term goal, why not front-load my study with vocabulary and reading?

I disagree. You are essentially saying, let's learn vocab first, THEN learn how to use it. Except that vocabulary is much easier to learn when you actually use it, and it is much easier to get a good grasp on how and when to use words when you actually use them, as opposed to reading it in theory, on paper. It also delays you from learning common colocations, the natural associations that exist between words. Learning that much vocab takes a long time, but it's by no means the hardest part of learning to speak a language. I think everyone would agree that speaking the language to fluency is the ultimate frontier, and that's why I think speaking should be tackled as early as possible, AS you learn vocab, not after.

Moreover, loading up on vocab first would delay the most motivating part of language acquisition, namely actual communication with native speakers, though maybe not all learners would agree with this, I suppose. It's certainly demoralizing to think you have spent years learning a language and still can't engage in an actual discussion. Not to mention that without real life experience in the language, determining which 10,000 words should be learned is a bit of a shot in the dark. Statistics would only answer part of the question.

Edited by Arekkusu on 10 August 2011 at 4:53pm

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 56 of 100
10 August 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
pitwo wrote:
I don't see what giving a definition to "word" has to do with the action of actually
learning and using words.

maydayayday doesn't lose time with mental masturbation and picks up the low-hanging
fruits by combining common words. this is what will make him fluent..

Thanks, I think !

It is the combination of (any of 500 ?) commmon words that have a particular meaning or nuance that mark the native speaker.

Perhaps my example above should have had more editing.

I admit to many a huge gaff by putting oddities together. It gets a laugh, they ask me to explain what I actually mean, I do, they correct me, we get on. I learn the way I have always learned and that is by making mistakes and being corrected.

doghouse = a structure in which houses dog(s) = kennel
but
cathouse <> somewhere to house the cats = no English equivalent that I know; cattery means something different where I come from.

At least my business contacts don't cringe now, as they used to.

Not really though,

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version