Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5594 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 9 of 14
11 August 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
How do you make that calender, TMoneytron? I've long wanted to do that kind of thing!
1 person has voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4672 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 10 of 14
12 August 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Hey Random review!

Do you have Excel? Go to New and on the left there should be the option for "Online Templates" or something.

I just took a calendar template and made the schedule, there's plenty of free online templates that people or Microsoft have made!

I planned ahead so I wouldn't have to keep constantly remembering what I did the past day. All the dialogues are on my phone, so if I have time I can just listen to them whenever I want. I also decided to do 4 "reviews" a day to outpace the learning, so eventually they will loop around and help with reinforcement.

Hope that helps! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4672 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 11 of 14
30 August 2011 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
So here's another question:

I recently picked up the audio and hardback copy of Assimil German Without Toil. I want to do both. How different is the vocabulary? The lessons appear completely different.

Would this be redundant? Has anyone else done this? I am actually quite quite far on With Ease (currently on Lektion 54) and am beginning to consider what to do next. I have bought some readers and plan on getting some simpler books to read, you know, the usual.

KCor
Groupie
United States
Joined 4819 days ago

50 posts - 72 votes 

Message 12 of 14
03 September 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
If I may make a suggestion...

If you're on level 54 then you probably have developed an ear for German words.

What I would recommend doing would be to listen to level 55, but don't even open the
book. Transcribe the lessons as you hear them. Obviously, you will need to hear it over
and over, but it is very helpful.

I write the transcript myself without having even read what they are speaking and then go
over unfamiliar words. You'll find it is very useful for extrapolating the meaning of
words without trying.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5020 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 14
03 September 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
TMoneytron wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, what's Anki?

There are also a number of other similar programmes you may also like to investigate.   Here's a short post on them, copied from an e-mail I previously sent to someone else who was curious about the flashcards programme I was using on my iPod.

>>>

I used Quizlet for creating my flashcards: http://www.quizlet.com . Then, from the FAQ for Quizlet http://quizlet.com/faqs/, I went to the section on "Quizlet on Mobile Devices", and selected the one for iPhones (I actually have an iPod Touch, but ...) . I checked out the full list of compatible apps, and chose Flashcards++ for its features and "look and feel". I then loaded my Quizlet sets of cards to my Flashcards++ app.

You may find that something else [other than Quizlet/Flashcards++] works better for you, depending on what mobile device you use, or what features you prefer.

There are a number of other spaced repetition programmes:
Wikipedia overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
Also a chart/overview of flashcard programmes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flashcard_software

Here's a comparison (from the personal viewpoint of one individual) of three of the major Spaced Repetition programmes, Supermemo, Anki, and Mnemosyne: http://nihongoperapera.com/mnemosyne.html . A very useful and interesting multi-part article, but perhaps best read after you'd had a preliminary look at those three programmes first.

------------

Hope this helps, TMoneytron.

Edited by songlines on 03 September 2011 at 5:27pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4672 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 14 of 14
04 September 2011 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
KCor wrote:
If I may make a suggestion...

If you're on level 54 then you probably have developed an ear for German words.

What I would recommend doing would be to listen to level 55, but don't even open the
book. Transcribe the lessons as you hear them. Obviously, you will need to hear it over
and over, but it is very helpful.

I write the transcript myself without having even read what they are speaking and then go
over unfamiliar words. You'll find it is very useful for extrapolating the meaning of
words without trying.

Well what do you mean "without trying"? lol. My ear is pretty good after Pimsleur II and III and a year of college German. Sometimes my spelling not so much though. What would I do if I don't understand the construction? Simply look at the book for the explanation or perhaps look it up? I see where this could have it's advantages for listening skills.

Also KCor, do you think I could do this with Perfectionnement Allemand? I wish they would translate it. We should start something.....What, I'm not sure, but something...lol.

Edited by TMoneytron on 04 September 2011 at 5:58am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version