Diglot
United States
Joined 4727 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Danish, Icelandic

Message 1 of 8
12 August 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
I have been studying Danish intensively for around 3 months, and have a very strong
interest in Icelandic. My concern is that because they are so similar, I may end up
mixing the two constantly when speaking. I took a look at some Icelandic text, and just
with my knowledge of Danish and a little bit of sentence analysis, I was able to read it
moderately well, so I wouldn't go into the language as a total beginner.

A quick phrase comparison ("What is your name?"):
Danish: Hvad hedder du?
Icelandic: Hvað heitir þú?
(Note the "ð" makes a "th" sound, just as the soft "d" in "hvad")

Can anybody advise for/against trying to study these language concurrently?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
12 August 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
They are not so similar that it will be a problem in itself. The problem will be to find time for both, and to keep an equal interest in both projects.
2 persons have voted this message useful

bradfanella
Diglot
United States
Joined 4727 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes

Message 4 of 8
13 August 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the input! I've heard many people say that it's tough to study Icelandic in
conjunction with other languages, because of its level of difficulty. Being both a
polyglot and native Danish speaker, would you agree with that?

It's certainly not a necessity to learn Icelandic (nor are any of my other studies). I
think that if I'm smart about time allocation, I should be able to pull it off. ^_^
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
14 August 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Icelandic has a morphology that has roughly the same 'size' as the German one, i.e. 4 noun/adjective/pronoun cases with quite irregular distribution, a subjunctive and a number of strong verbs where you need to know some standard vowel change categories. If you find German to be possible to learn then Icelandic is possible too - however with the big difference that there are roughly 300 times as many German speakers as Icelandic speakers, and that the amount of relevant materials will be correspondingly lower.

The Danish grammar is less morphology heavy, but the pronunciation can be a problem (as you probably have discovered by now). Contrary to some claims the Icelandic pronunciation and its relationship with the writing is NOT terribly difficult - I would put it at roughly the same level as Danish or even slightly easier (because Icelandic is spoken in a less slurred way).

Edited by Iversen on 15 August 2011 at 1:03pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Maypal
Pentaglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

32 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Icelandic, English, Danish, Faroese
Studies: Greenlandic, Scottish Gaelic

Message 6 of 8
17 August 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
bradfanella wrote:
I have been studying Danish intensively for around 3 months, and
have a very strong
interest in Icelandic.

Can anybody advise for/against trying to study these language concurrently?

I would recommend to postpone your Icelandic studies until your level of command in
Danish is stable enough. Both languages, with all differences inbetween, are still
closely cognated, have similar sets of pronouns and strong verbs, which may change in an
individual way in either language, the same words may have different meanings and belong
to grammatical classes (like gender) etc. There might happen confusions, so it's better
not to learn both languages at the same time... if you're mentally so strong to stand the
desire to learn'em all! :))))))

bradfanella
Diglot
United States
Joined 4727 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes

Message 7 of 8
17 August 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Icelandic has a morphology that has roughly the same 'size' as the
German one, i.e. 4 noun/adjective/pronoun cases with quite irregular distribution, a
subjunctive and a number of strong verbs where you need to know some standard vowel
change categories. If you find German to be possible to learn then Icelandic is
possible too - however with the big difference that there are roughly 300 times as many
German speakers as Icelandic speakers, and that the amount of relevant materials will
be correspondingly lower.

The Danish grammar is less morphology heavy, but the pronunciation can be a problem (as
you probably have discovered by now). Contrary to some claims the Icelandic
pronunciation and its relationship with the writing is NOT terribly difficult - I would
put it at roughly the same level as Danish or even slightly easier (because Icelandic
is spoken in a less slurred way).

I appreciate the explanation Iversen! I do recall hearing about Icelandic/German
grammatical similarities, so I'm glad that you could confirm that.

Also, I think that Danish pronunciation is a big obstacle for newcomers to the
language, but I believe that I have it down by now (~1 year of study). Hearing that
Icelandic corresponds even just slightly better to its written form than Danish gives
me some hope.

Maypal wrote:
I would recommend to postpone your Icelandic studies until your level of
command in
Danish is stable enough. Both languages, with all differences inbetween, are still
closely cognated, have similar sets of pronouns and strong verbs, which may change in
an
individual way in either language, the same words may have different meanings and
belong
to grammatical classes (like gender) etc. There might happen confusions, so it's better
not to learn both languages at the same time... if you're mentally so strong to stand
the
desire to learn'em all! :))))))

The desire to learn 'em all, isn't that the truth. :) Thanks, your post really
convinced me to hold off on Icelandic for a little bit. Although I would think that
pronoun similarities and cognates would be beneficial if anything.

EDIT: ...or just study Icelandic less intensively for the time being. ;)

Edited by bradfanella on 17 August 2011 at 9:24pm

britmic
United States
Joined 4589 days ago

4 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: German

Message 8 of 8
20 March 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
These posts regarding the simultaneous study of Danish and Icelandic were intensly interesting to me. I am very much a Danish beginner, still pretty much relying on what I can forage on the Internet and Pimsleur etc. But Icelandic and also Norsk have been always foremost in my interests. I have a pretty good level of German and I am a native UK English speaker. I'm finding the study of Danish,as a self-learner even with my limited resources and material equally interesting and not at all difficult. I have "sampled" Icelandic via the "Transparent Byki Icelandic material and some downloaded "Youtube" videos, it does not appear terribly difficult but with all the knowledgible posts above, I see one should approach this study carefully and be prepared for some hard intense study.All in all great stuff! Most appreciated.
However,I think for myself I'll postpone the Icelandic until I have reached a decent level in Danish!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version