Diglot
United States
Joined 4779 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 1 of 7
16 August 2011 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Hello! I'm new to this forum. I just had a question that could use some good input from
all you fellow language learners. I know that the top 5 languages in the world are:
English, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, and Russian. Right now, I'm close to being
fluent in Spanish, but I'm starting to get bored with it. I've been dabbling in Italian,
but as an interpreter, there's not that high of a demand for this language. I'm a
beginner in Japanese, but I have no good technique to learn it. There are so many good
languages out there to learn, but I just can't make up my mind which one I want to learn
right now. Should I push through Spanish, choose Japanese, or learn both? What are the
most useful languages for an upcoming interpreter to know?

Edited by Fasulye on 16 August 2011 at 6:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

The Aussie
Australia
Joined 4643 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
28 August 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
In my opinion, Mandarin would be useful to learn. You could work as an Interpreter for businessmen negotiating with say, Chinese coal giants. Being an Interpreter means no Dictionaries or Glossaries are used, as you are mostly translating orally. If you reach a good deal of fluency in Spanish, you could always move to the border of Mexico and try to get a job as a Interpreter there, talking to illegal aliens, I've never been to the USA, so I'm not quite sure if there is a demand for Spanish interpreters on the border. If you learned Japanese you would most likely be dealing with more businessmen, as not as many Japanese people speak English at all, you could also pick up freelance work translating Manga comics or something.

I suggest finishing Spanish, as being fluent could be very useful, while traveling for example. If you want to learn Japanese, do it! Spanish and Japanese is like Chalk and cheese, it should be easier to learn them side by side as you are already established in Spanish, as you are unlikely to get things mixed up. I could suggest using Assimil Japanese with Ease, although i haven't used the program and i do not know how good it is.

In my opinion, you should learn both, just throttle back your studies in Spanish to maybe 15 minutes a day, and focus more on your Japanese by putting the study for that up to 40 minutes a day.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 7
28 August 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Learning any language to interpreter level is a feat very few achieve. Are you sure you can just pick a
language and stick with for years, perhaps over a decade, just to be an interpreter?

I hear Japanese-English simultaneous interpreters in Canada can make upwards of $1200 a day, but work
is not all that frequent.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dizzycloud
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6393 days ago

88 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Turkish

Message 4 of 7
28 August 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I have been considering following the interpreting career route too, and with a En/Fr/Sp combination I would also have to pick up another language. After speaking to many professionals (from the European Union, for example), it seems that if you want to be a <i>conference</i> interpreter, then it's best to aim for the <i>rarer</i> languages that English natives tend <b>not</b> to learn. Whilst you would expect these languages to be Chinese or Japanese for example, these languages are infact <b>German or Dutch</b> or some Eastern-European languages, as there is a shortage of native English speakers who speak these languages.

However, if you wish to be a public services interpreter/liaison interpreter for businesses and such, then yes, Chinese is one of the many up-and-coming languages in demand, though be aware that you need an acute knowledge of the language (it goes without saying), and Chinese is notoriously difficult to achieve fluency...therefore is it perhaps worth the effort to study this language for a decade or two before being able to use it professionally?

Ultimately you should learn whatever language you are attracted to, as without your raw passion for the language and culture in question, you'll lose motivation to persue studies in that language (and therefore use it professionally)

Good luck in whatever you choose :)

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6645 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 5 of 7
29 August 2011 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
The Aussie wrote:
If you reach a good deal of fluency in Spanish, you could always move to the border of Mexico and try to get a job as a Interpreter there, talking to illegal aliens, I've never been to the USA, so I'm not quite sure if there is a demand for Spanish interpreters on the border.

[snip]

I could suggest using Assimil Japanese with Ease, although i haven't used the program and i do not know how good it is.

So twice you recommend things and then admit you have zero knowledge on which to base your recommendations? Interesting.

Your first recommendation is way off. Everyone and their mom speaks both English and Spanish near the border. Even in Dallas, where I worked in retail management for several years, people would literally get offended and angry that I didn't speak Spanish but was in a customer service position. If you applied for an interpreter position for Spanish, you would be competing with tons of people that had been speaking both languages their entire lives. Now who do you think is going to get the job? The person who is bilingual from birth, or the person who picked up the language in adulthood in order to get a job?

Your second recommendation, however, is on the mark. Assimil's Japanese course is quite good.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5464 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 7
29 August 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I have to agree with what Arekkusu said above.
First, you would have to learn the language to near-native level and then spend various years more being trained as an interpreter. That's going to be a long time and a lot of hard work. And just learning the language, even to near-native level, is not automatically going to make you a good interpreter. It takes years of training and dedication.

I'm a professional translator and certainly know my 5 working languages very well, but I would never dream of trying to interpret, as I know that it's impossible to do without proper training. I have a lot of respect for this profession.

In the US, the fields most in demand are certainly court interpreting and medical interpreting. There are certifications for both areas, so if that's something you are interested in, you should definitely look into that. And Spanish is by far the language most in demand. Even if there are a lot of bilinguals in the US, there are very few qualified and certified legal or medical interpreters compared to the huge demand.
As for training, the number 1 institution in the US is the Monterey Institute of International Studies

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 7
29 August 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:
Even in Dallas, where I worked in retail management for several years, people would literally get offended and angry that I didn't speak Spanish but was in a customer service position. If you applied for an interpreter position for Spanish, you would be competing with tons of people that had been speaking both languages their entire lives. Now who do you think is going to get the job? The person who is bilingual from birth, or the person who picked up the language in adulthood in order to get a job?

On the other hand, there is quite a need for ES<>EN interpreters specializing in specific industries, whether it's legal, medical or oil (among others). Living on the border and speaking both languages your entire life won't be the only requirement.

R.
==

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version