Groupie
United States
Joined 4254 days ago

59 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Sign Language
Studies: French

Message 25 of 30
17 December 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
A fantastic game for anyone learning German, French or Spanish is Guild Wars 2 - if RPG
games are your style. The game has full audio dialogues for each language and can be
switched between languages in game instantly. Because you can switch the text instantly
between each language, it's like having parallel text whenever you want it. Not sure
what a word is and can't figure it out from context? Switch to English, check, make a
note of the word, switch back to French. The game is also free to play which scores big
points in my book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4570 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 26 of 30
17 December 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
nakrian keegiat wrote:
That sounds really interesting Peter, thanks. Too bad they don't have it in Thai. 4chan, huh? I'm scared of that place but I assume you've checked it out and it's safe to install?
It's free of malware, if that's what you're asking. If you meant the content, then the game treats the admittedly touchy subject matter with a great deal of respect and a distinct lack of, um, stuff that 4chan is famous for (I wouldn't recommend spending too much time on fan-forums though). Here's a good professional review of the game and the story behind its creation.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 17 December 2012 at 6:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 27 of 30
17 December 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Skyrim is available as スカイリム as well as being available in the German, French, Italian
and Spanish.
Deus Ex is available in the same European languages as well as Russian and Polish.

I've also got Metro 2033 in Japanese, but I haevn't got aroudn to playing it yet (I got
it for free.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nakrian keegiat
Diglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4705 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 28 of 30
17 December 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
nakrian keegiat wrote:
That sounds really interesting Peter, thanks. Too bad they don't have it in Thai. 4chan, huh? I'm scared of that place but I assume you've checked it out and it's safe to install?
It's free of malware, if that's what you're asking. If you meant the content, then the game treats the admittedly touchy subject matter with a great deal of respect and a distinct lack of, um, stuff that 4chan is famous for (I wouldn't recommend spending too much time on fan-forums though). Here's a good professional review of the game and the story behind its creation.

I was referring to malware. Content-wise it would take a lot to shock me, but if anyone could it would be 4chan. After watching the review I installed it. Unfortunately, it will be years before my Russian is good enough to read it.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4570 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 29 of 30
17 October 2013 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Resurrecting this thread to bring some news. I'm sure most people who pay even a modicum of attention to the news of the gaming industry have heard of the recent launch of the latest generation of Pokémon games, X & Y. For the first time in the history of the series, rather than releasing different language versions of the games in different markets, all games released worldwide come with a choice of seven languages - English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, German and Italian. Also, since at least the Black & White generation, the Japanese versions of the games are no longer kana-only - while the language selection you pick in the beginning of the game is permanent, I'm being told that in the Japanese version you can switch between kana-only and kana+kanji at any time. Now I haven't played Pokémon games since the Ruby & Sapphire generation and I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future, but I thought some people here might be interested. One of the people I follow on Twitter also hasn't played those games in about a decade, but she seems to be enjoying her Y just fine, so the previous games are no prerequisite.

An update on Katawa Shoujo - the full game is now available in French in addition to English. I'm still waiting for the Japanese translation (on August 16 the team announced that they have completed the rough draft and were now working on revising it for the final version), but I don't mind getting some French reading practice in the meantime.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 17 October 2013 at 6:54pm

leroc
United States
Joined 4109 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 30 of 30
17 October 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Baldurs Gate II has dialog and voice acting in tons of languages. The German edition is great because it feature dialects from all over Germany.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version