Mexico
Joined 4656 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 1 of 11
17 August 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys!

I am an avid fan of metal in all its forms, and therefore, I like Vintersorg. The
Swedish language has been constantly in my mind for possible target languages in the
future, as it seems to be so close to English/German and looks really cool in written
form. With this in mind, I wanted to ask if somebody would translate this song for me,
as I like it a lot and I can't figure out its meaning by just guessing/using google.
Here it goes:

Vintersorg - Månskensmän

I gnistors regn, binds en krans
En cirkel sluten, av stjärnors glans
Från fjärranhet, från dunkel sfär
I töckenvirvlarnas atmosfär
Nu rider de, från pol till pol
Mot rymdens tinnar, mot slocknad sol
I molnens huld, blott fjärran än
De högtidsmantlade månskensmän

Med spänd båge, och blänkande dolk
Dessa luftgudar färdas över himlens lykta
I nattens klang, den oförställda tolk
Längs vintergatans bana ses de flykta

Eldkvastar, från vålnadshäst
Bringa till oss, din hedersgäst
Han som över månen styr
Och stormorkesternas uvertyr

Likt blodfärgad rubin
Är månskensmännens blickar
Med lömska solvarsgrin
Längs himlakartan de drar
De bär på nattens arv
Som smeksamt oss bestickar
I ändlöst tidevarv
Hör! Världsalltets fanfar

Från Orions bälte de drar sin banestav
Och nedstiger mot granskogsbrynen
Sen urminnes tid de vevat jordens nav
Från stjärnfirmamentet skänkt hembyggdssynen
Och ridande gladiatorer mot skyn åter lyfte
De äro förmörkade solskensandar med det högre syfte

One more question: How would you describe the vocabulary used here? is it common? is it
too poetic? I was wondering if at some point I can start learning words through these
kind of songs, but I am not sure if it would be convenient.

The link for the song if you wanna hear it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_kmLts9Es

Tack!
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
17 August 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Winter sorrow - Moonshine men

In the rain of sparks, a wreath is wrought,
A circle closed, by the radiance of stars
From far away, from (a) dark sphere
In the atmosphere of the misty whirls
They now ride, from pole to pole
Towards the summits of space, towards (an) extinguished sun
In the shelter of clouds, just far yet
the solemny robed moonshine men

With drawn bow, and blinking dagger
These aereal gods travel across the lantern of the sky
In the sound of the night, the unfeigned interpreter
Along the orbit of the Milkyway they are seen fleeing

Tufts of fire, from guardian horse,
Bring to us, your guest of honor
Him who rule the Moon
and the overture of the storm orchestras

Like a blood coloured ruby
Are the gazes of the moonshine men
With insidious 'all-over-the-face' grins***
Along the sky map they travel
They carry the heritage of the night
Which bribe us affectionately
In endless timespan
Hark! The fanfare of the Universe

from Orion's Belt they draw their deathstaff/orbitstaff
And descend towards the edge of the spruce forest
Since the earliest* times they weawed the hub of the Earth
From the stellar firmament gave**
Homestead visions
And riding gladiators towards the cloud again rise
They are eclipsed sunshine spirits with a higher goal

* 'times of olden memory'
** or 'given'
*** 'grinning like a Cheshire cat'

----

The words are not really difficult (although I do think there is a spelling error solvar[g]sgrin), but as so often in poetry they are put together in a way that isn't meant to be readily understandable. Actually this may have been sung, but I doubt that even native Swedes can grasp the meaning of such a text on the fly. As a text used pedagogically for its meaning it would be too confusing, but you might use recitation of this kind of heroic poetry to train your rhetorical skills.

Edited by Iversen on 17 August 2011 at 10:47pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 11
17 August 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
La tristeza invernale - los hombres del claro di luna

En la lluvia de chispas, se forja una corona ,
Un círculo cerrado, del resplandor de las estrellas
De lo lejos, de una esfera oscura
En la atmósfera de giras de niebla
Ahora cabalgan de polo a polo
Hacia las cumbres del espacio, a un sol extinguido
En abrigo de las nubes, aún sólos a distancia
Los hombres solemne vestidos del claro de luna

Con el arco dibujado, y la daga fulgurante
Estos dioses celestos si mueven a través de la linterna del cielo
En el sonido de la noche, el intérprete no fingida,
A lo largo de la órbita de la Vía Láctea se les veen huir

Penachos de fuego, de caballo tutelar,
Nos traen, su invitado de honor
El que decide de la Luna
y (de) la obertura de las orquestas de la tempestad

Como un rubí color de sangre
Son las miradas de los hombres claro de la luna
Con insidiosas sonrías "de oreja a oreja"
A lo largo del mapa del cielo viajan
Ellos llevan la herencia de la noche
Que soborna insinuante a nosotros
En infinito lapso de tiempo
Siente! La fanfarria del Universo

Del cinturón de Orión sacan su vara de muerte/órbita
Y descienden hacia el borde del bosque de abetos
Desde los tiempos primitivos tejieron el cubo de la Tierra
Desde el firmamento estelar dado
Visiones del suelo nativo
Y gladiadores cabalgantes hacia la nube suben de nuevo
Son eclipsados espíritus de sol con un objeto superior

--

... and I still don't know what this stuff means. But it is grandiose poetry

Edited by Iversen on 17 August 2011 at 11:26pm

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6453 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 11
18 August 2011 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
In a rain of sparkles a wreath is made. A circle is closed in star shine. From far away-ity, from a disk sphere, in the
atmosphere of the haze whirls. The are riding, form pole to pole, toward the pinnacles of space, toward a burned
out sun. In the arms of the clouds, but yet far away, they are formally dressed men of moonshine.

With drawn bow and shining dagger these gods of air are travelling over the lantern of the sky. In the tone of the
night, the undisguised interpreter, along the road of the Milky Way they can be seen fleeing.

Fire bolts from a ghost horse brings us your guest of honour. He that rules over the moon, and the overture of the
orchestra of the storm.

Like a blood colours ruby is the gazes of the men of moonshine. With dubious grins of sun wolves along the map
of the skies they go. They carry the heritage of the night, which us caress-ly bribe in an eternal turn of time.
Harken! The fanfare of the universe.

From the belt of Orion they draw their banning staff and descend to the edge of neighbouring forrest. Since the
dawn of time they have been grinding the hub of the earth. From the firmament of starts given the view of the
home district and the riding gladiators towards the sky lifted again. They are darkened spirits of sunshine with the
higher purpose.

This text is just bad and archaic wannabe grammar, archaic and uncommon and even juridical words town together
into some fantasy-ish song that’s not narrative enough to be understood at all. Above is a prose translation as
close as possible to the original Swedish as I could. I’m pretty fluent in English yet I had to use a dictionary for a lot
of the very uncommon terms used here. Bestickning is the name of a crime in Swedish and it’s not used as a verb
anymore. Uvertyr seems to mean overture — yet I have never ever heard that word being used. Don’t use this as a
source if you’re studying Swedish: you will not understand anything (I did not! and I’m a native) and you will sound
ludicrous if you try to talk anywhere here this :P

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4656 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 5 of 11
18 August 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your replies!

In fact, I should mention that I copied the text from a lyrics website, so the spelling errors might be attributed to this. I don't know if you listened to it but then that could be an easy way to check if the words in the text are wrong or not. I think I was right, I should not study with this kind of songs :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
18 August 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
I can see that Hampie and I agree on most points, but one exception is the word "solvarsgrin" (which I already had some doubts about when I translated the text). There is not much doubt about "grin": it's is almost certainly a grin or smile of some kind. Today I have tried to look "solvarg" up and one thing I found was a Swedish club for roleplay enthousiasts. At Synonymer.se I found this: "glatt leende person, muntergök, glädjespridare", and it was a similar idea that lay behind my idea about a grin from ear to ear - but wolves would fit better in this gloomy context. "Varg" actually means wolf (and Tolkien reused the word in his works), but I can't see any evidence on the internet of a sun-wolf. Maybe Hampie has heard something that hasn't penetrated into the internet yet. And "solvar" without g is apparently just the name for a chair (and a form of the verb "solva")

Edited by Iversen on 18 August 2011 at 3:01pm

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6453 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 7 of 11
18 August 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I can see that Hampie and I agree on most points, but one exception is the word "solvarsgrin"
(which I already had some doubts about when I translated the text). There is not much doubt about "grin": it's is
almost certainly a grin or smile of some kind. Today I have tried to look "solvarg" up and one thing I found was a
Swedish club for roleplay enthousiasts. At Synonymer.se I found this: "glatt leende person, muntergök,
glädjespridare", and it was a similar idea that lay behind my idea about a grin from ear to ear - but wolves would fit
better in this gloomy context. "Varg" actually means wolf (and Tolkien reused the word in his works), but I can't see
any evidence on the internet of a sun-wolf. Maybe Hampie has heard something that hasn't penetrated into the
internet yet. And "solvar" without g is apparently just the name for a chair (and a form of the verb "solva")

To be honest I had absolutely no idea what a solvarg was and I’ve never encountered the word before, so I
translated it literally. They use månskensman so solvarg did not feel so impossible next to the other weird words in
the song :P. Yet I had to use a dictionary multiple times because I rarely try to use words as töcken or besticka in
English :P.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6453 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 8 of 11
18 August 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
Thanks for your replies!

In fact, I should mention that I copied the text from a lyrics website, so the spelling errors might be attributed to
this. I don't know if you listened to it but then that could be an easy way to check if the words in the text are wrong
or not. I think I was right, I should not study with this kind of songs :)

I tried to listen to it, and it’s not my cup of to that is true, but I think you have to be quite used to metal music to
actually hear what is being sung. I could not make out more than every other word :P

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version