Assimil Dictionaries

Tags: Dictionaries | Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6339 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 1 of 2
17 August 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
So, today arrived my "Assimil Dictionnaire Polonais" (Polish dictionary). Here's the link for the website: Link. I'll
give you a short intro how it looks like:
1. Paperback
2. With a PC Version included (I'll explain this at the end)
3. Users guide (as any other dictionary)
4. List of abreviations and Table of Pronunciation (with IPA, very useful)
5. Polish-French dictionary. Example of a single word (french words are always in blue, and polish in black):
książka [IPA of that word] nf (it means 'noun femenine') livre (in blue). Już czytałem tę książkę. J'ai déjà lu ce livre.
-książka kucharska livre de cuisine
-książka telefoniczna annuaire (téléphonique)
-mówić jak z książki parler comme un livre
6. French-Polish dictionary (the same but viceversa. Polish words are in blue and also have the IPA here, French words in black.
7. Table of geographical names (country names, adjectives, nouns, most important language)

The e-version: The book comes with an special code in the last page (no CD). Basicly, you go to www.lesdicosdassimil.com and there you have to
registrer your book filling up a form, you'll receive an email to activate your account, which sends you to a page where you'll see the activation
code and a download will start (.exe). You install the setup, insert the activation code, and that's all. The e-dic has the same content as the real
book, in the same format of colours, bolds, etc. and you use it as any other e-dic installed in you PC. It's very very useful.

By the way, the book has 1080 pages. Assimil also has dictionaries for Russian, Greek, Arabic (MSA), Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese (Continental) and
Turkish.

Have a nice day!
Guido

Edited by Guido on 17 August 2011 at 6:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 2
18 August 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Is there anything that makes an Assimil dictionary worth considering?

The electronic dictionary sounds useful, but in practice you've generally got the internet available if you're at your computer.

All the features of the paper version sound quite common (although the placenames list is something you don't see everywhere).
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version