Triglot
France
Joined 4684 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 1 of 94
18 August 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I am afraid, I might get a bit lyrical here, please forgive me :)

I have seen a lot of thread here about "is this language worth learning" and I can understand that, not everyone has enough free time to learn a language for the pleasure.

But my question is, have you ever felt so much attraction for a language (and the people who speak it and their culture) that you just could not resist learning it ?

It's something that happen to me with the Russian language. I think, as far as I can remember (even as a kid) I always have had a special feeling for everything Russian. I have no rational explanations for that, no Russian blood in my veins as far as I know, but no language ever brought so much emotion in me.
Until now, I managed to resist, scared away by all I have ever heard about the difficulty of the language. But, recently I must admit I lost the battle and I started learning Russian, and I must say, I never enjoyed so much being defeated. Is it hard ? Yes, it seems so. Do I need Russian ? Probably not. Is it worth it ? Most definitively ! And, every time I wonder if I will ever manage it, I listen to Пелагея, and I know I have to.

Now I was wondering, I am weak or did this kind of adventure already happen to some members of the forum ? (not necessarily with Russian of course)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 94
18 August 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Yes - Esperanto. And I'm still resisting it with a handful of other languages.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5132 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 3 of 94
18 August 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
There will always be a special place in my heart for my firstlearnt: German.

Other than this, I find pretty much all languages irresistible.
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4821 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 94
18 August 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I think for me it is Finnish as I have fallen in love with everything about the country, its people and culture. That joy and interest helped me get through a lot of the rough spots of the language itself. It hasn't always been easy, but it's been personally worthwhile.

Unlike, JLA and Russian, though, my love of Finland wasn't something I was even aware of until I had the opportunity to be there. Then I was instantly converted.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4646 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 94
18 August 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I have it with Croatian. Cannot live without this language and... I still haven't had an opportunity to learn it (almost a jinx)

Edited by prz_ on 18 August 2011 at 7:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 94
18 August 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
The nearest such language for me is Northern Saami (beating out Finnish, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak). It's the second-most endangered language (15,000 native speakers scattered in northern Fennoscandinavia) and tied with Inari Saami as the most useless one in which I've been sufficiently interested to the point of (impending) study. However I can't stop thinking about it or reading or listening to stuff in the language these days. Who cares that I still can't pick out more than the ocassional word or phrase?

Ever since I heard it used in The Cuckoo a few years ago, I swore that not only would I visit northern Lapland (check) but that I'd also start learning the language (almost check; I bought the full course for Davvin and plan to start working on it soon). Even though it'll be a tough slog to learn based on my experience with the similar Inari Saami, I beam inwardly when thinking about Northern Saami as I reminisce about sleeping under the Midnight Sun and dodging reindeers and swarms of flies on the fells of Sápmi.

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5747 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 7 of 94
19 August 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Japanese.

Once I started learning it, I didn't stop to breathe for three years. It holds a very special place in my heart.

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4868 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 8 of 94
20 August 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
This might be just a coincidence, but when I was studying English abroad (for a very short time) I met a French guy who was also obsessed with Russia and etc. He said that if he was not French, he would like to be Russian.

The language I couldn't resist in the past was Japanese, but right now I'm not so attracted to it anymore. I used to dislike the sound of French very much, but when I met a Belgium girl and she spoke things in French to me, I was like, "omg, this is so sexy".

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version