Learning Swedish on my Own, help!

Language Learning Forum : Skandinavisk & Nordisk Post Reply
Floki
United Kingdom
Joined 4641 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 6
18 August 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys so as you might of gotten, I am a native English speaker.

I love the Scandinavian nations. I love the cold the people and just evreything about them!!

I don't know any other language other than English haha. and I have fallen in love with the Swedish language after watching 'Let the right one in' Amazing film any way

I am learning Swedish on my own without and where to learn in from sept the Internet.

my question is, how would I get going with it? How do I remember/learn it?

Anyone have any tips on learning a new Language?

Thanks sorry if the post is a little strange written =D
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
19 August 2011 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Take a look here:
Scandinavian/Nordic Language Resources
3 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 3 of 6
19 August 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Nice to hear that you like us and our countries!
Why don't you start with an interactive forum like Livemocha.com?
That has a Swedish course. There are plenty of sites like that and some of them have a Swedish section.

Anki flashcards are a fun way to learn, especially if you add sound and pictures.

1 person has voted this message useful

Floki
United Kingdom
Joined 4641 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes

Message 4 of 6
19 August 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks guys!

I will take a look at the links =D

and I love Scandinavian countries!! =D

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4682 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 5 of 6
08 April 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't quite understand if it was just the internet you wanted to learn from or books as well. I looove the Hugo in 3 Months series and have used the Swedish one with (in my opinion) great success. I feel it gives a great basis of which to work on and build. You can usually find them cheap on Amazon and sometimes ebay too. After a couple of months I started reading a teen book called "I taket lyser stjärnorna" by Johanna Thydell and altho I couldn't understand a lot I found it quite easy to get the gist of what was going on, especially with looking up the most frequent words. I was able to get this book from the library so it might be worth a try asking them if you wanted to give it a go too...

Good luck, I love Swedish too!! My fave language so far :oD

delwin
Diglot
United States
delw.inRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4412 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Spanish

Message 6 of 6
10 April 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
There is a bunch of great Swedish music, and the older folk music is super easy to understand. I recommend
checking out Triakel. Another good Swedish band is Movits!, though that's jazz-influenced rap and a bit harder
to understand.

For listening, Barnradion and Klartext on Sveriges Radio P4 are awesome. I download them via podcast and listen
to them on my iPod while walking to class.

I really recommend the book Nya Mål if you can afford it. By far the best Swedish book around, but you'll have to
order it from bokus.se or some other Scandinavian bookstore online. I borrowed it from my university's Germanic
Studies program.

Also, get the Prisma dictionaries, or use ord.se online. Tyda.se is good for some slang and quick declinations, but
don't trust in it too much. I use ord.se most of the time.

For reading practice, if you can't get Nya Mål (which has a lot of reading), get a copy of "En komikers uppväxt."
It's one of the most famous Swedish books ever written, and there's an accompanying audiobook (Google "en
komikers uppväxt ljudbok") and movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfEkHlBB91Q).

En komikers uppväxt is written very simply, you should be able to understand the syntax within a few weeks of
study, and after that, it's a great way to learn vocab. It's a very well-regarded work of literature that happens to
be written very simply, kind of like Albert Camus's "L'Étranger." The words you'll learn for it will all be very useful.

There are also a lot of Anki paquets for Swedish. I downloaded AnkiDroid on my phone and use it to practice all
my languages daily. I'm sure there are iOS and Blackberry equivalents if you have a smartphone.

6 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version