United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 27
19 August 2011 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Has anyone done at least part of this course? I'm thinking of using it for my next step in Arabic, but would like to hear from anyone who's used it first.

My big question is, How far is the FSI Written Arabic course from any Arabic actually spoken on the street ... particularly in North Africa? There are over 60 recordings that are online, so it's not all writing.

My current plan is to crank up my literacy (I know the alphabet, and can read individual words, but certainly not a whole text!), and then try to swing over to a colloquial derja afterwards. The goal of Part 1 of the FSI course is to learn to read newspapers, and so this could be fantastic.

Part 2, if I get to it, appears to introduce dialects. The vocabulary list also has items like "Phoenicia" and "Carthage" and "Scipio Africanus" in it ... so it sounds like it gets a lot more interesting than the other FSI courses!

But I don't want to invest a lot of time if it would turn out to be just an academic exercise. My ultimate goal is to be able to talk to people.

The other option is to continue on with an Eastern Dialect course (either Syrian colloquial or Pimsleur Eastern) and then switch over to a Maghrebi dialect.

edit: is there any way to move this to the proper room? The next forum down seems more appropriate. Sorry about the poor aim!

Edited by kanewai on 19 August 2011 at 8:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 27
19 August 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

My big question is, How far is the FSI Written Arabic course from any Arabic actually spoken on the street ... particularly in
North Africa?
!

Not even remotely close!

FSI MWA is a great course if you want to get better at reading or understanding (news broadcasts etc...) formal Arabic.
This, obviously will help your "Arabic" considerably .. so I would not consider it a waste of time.

But if you primarily want to speak with North Africans, you could probably find better options.

Check out "A Basic Course in Moroccan Arabic" by Richard Harrell. It is old but has a ton of recordings on a mp3 disc. No
Arabic script though which is annoying.   

DLI has a FSI style Syrian Arabic course that you can get at   
Syrian Arabic
if you decide to go that route.
5 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 3 of 27
19 August 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. I suspected that. I might plan on doing the first third of the FSI course, just to improve my literacy.

The Harrell book gets mixed reviews, but it's the only one out there, eh? Any idea how close Moroccan is to Tunisian? I know they're both called "derja" and both have a Berber base ... but can't find a definite answer online.

I do have an Assimil book on Tunisian Arabic, but it's more of an extended phrasebook than a language course - so I'd need to have a stronger base for it to bve effective. I have six months before I leave for Tunis, so I have some time to experiment!

I am a bit appalled that such a significant language has so few resources out there.   
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 27
20 August 2011 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

The Harrell book gets mixed reviews, but it's the only one out there, eh? Any idea how close Moroccan is to Tunisian? I know they're both called "derja" and
both have a Berber base ... but can't find a definite answer online.     

I think they are relatively similar but I'm not sure if they are mutually intelligible. Perhaps they are similar to, say, Spanish and Italian. I have heard that
Tunisian Arabic has a very strong French influence and is actually closer to Maltese than it is to Standard Arabic.

kanewai wrote:
I do have an Assimil book on Tunisian Arabic, but it's more of an extended phrasebook than a language course - so I'd need to have a
stronger base for it to bve effective. I have six months before I leave for Tunis, so I have some time to experiment!

You may want to use the Assimil book on Tunisian Arabic for the vocabulary and the Harrell course for more of the grammatical structure of the language.

The funny thing is, I had a friend who spent a year in Tunis to learn French!     You may be better off brushing up on your French first and learn
darija once you are there! ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 5 of 27
20 August 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
The Harrell book gets mixed reviews, but it's the only one out there, eh? Any idea how close Moroccan is to Tunisian? I know they're both called "derja" and both have a Berber base ... but can't find a definite answer online.

Well, if you decide to learn Moroccan Arabic, this book looks good. There is a sample chapter online.

An Introduction to Moroccan Arabic and Culture

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 6 of 27
19 September 2011 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes the answer is staring at you so clearly that you don't even see it ...

From the top:

-The best Arabic learning materials deal with MSA
-There are very few good resources for learning regional Arabic
-Most people recommend learning MSA first, then moving on to regional Arabic
- MSA is a written language, but not spoken on the streets

My first conclusion: I don't want to spend my time learning a language that no one speaks. I don't have the time! Where are all the *&%! resources for spoken Arabic??? What's wrong with this world? Grrrr

Forgetting all the while that ...

-It's much easier to learn to read a language than to hear it or speak it

And somewhere along the line, the pieces all fell into place: I can work my way through the FSI Modern Written Arabic course, and not worry about speaking or forming my own sentences or any of that. And that will make the course so much easier. And honestly, my reading comprehension for Arabic is really poor, so this will really benefit me.

I know that this is exactly the advice that a lot of you were giving, but I think I was hung up on the idea that studying MSA meant reading/writing/speaking/listening, and that seemed to be too much to tackle.    

Edited by kanewai on 19 September 2011 at 10:36pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 7 of 27
20 September 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
And remember, the dialects haven't diverged from MSA THAT much!

If you have a solid ground in MSA you should be able to pick up a dialect fairly quickly.

Plus, you will be able to understand what is happening on the news shows!

Emiliana
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4913 days ago

81 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 27
20 September 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
I admire everybody who can work with this FSI written arabic course. I can't. I can barely read the arabic texts because of its bad printing.
So if you like, kanewai, you might share you experiences, how you work with the course, at which pace etc.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version