Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 14
20 August 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I am learning Russian. I have gone through Pimsleur 1, am on my way in Pimsleur 2, about 30 lessons into Assimil, finished Russian in your car 1 and TY Russian as well as a few lessons in random Russian textbooks and grammars.

I wanted to try out Michel Thomas, but thought there would be no sense in doing the foundation course or even the advanced course, since I had covered so much ground in other books allready. I therefore went for the Michel Thomas Vocabulary course. And I like MT. Being the pronunciation geek that I am, I admittedly cringe at the pronunciation of the female student, but I need to be spoon fed grammar, and the course is pretty good at spoon feeding. I have not had any difficulties following the course, as I know most of the vocabulary, so I suppose I made the right choice.

The thing is that they refer to grammar that has been taught at the foundation and advanced courses, and I am starting to wonder whether I should get those to get the grammar, even if I might get bored since I assume that I will know most of the vocabulary there too, particularly in the foundation course.

So any recommendations or suggestions?

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 2 of 14
21 August 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
A 100 people have looked at the question, and not one has any helpful suggestions? Is the question too complicated, or is it too simple? Hey, guys, I put my faith in you! Any comments are welcome!

Neil_UK
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5073 days ago

50 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto, Welsh
Studies: Polish, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 3 of 14
21 August 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
The Michel Thomas Russian foundation and advanced courses are excellent. You quickly
learn the grammatical structure of the language, the verb conjugations, and the tenses,
as well as the Russian alphabet and a lot of useful vocab.

The course is well presented by Russian native Natasha Bershadski, she has a relaxed
but effective presentation style. So I'd definitely recommend it if you want to quickly
and easily learn the foundations of Russian grammar.

I think it'll make your Russiann sharper if you go through the MT foundation and
advanced courses.

On the downside, Russian verbs of motion aren't really covered in any great depth, but
you can learn those elsewhere.

Edited by Neil_UK on 21 August 2011 at 11:50pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 14
22 August 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin, you should be able to answer this question yourself. If you are having trouble with the grammar in
the vocabulary course, then take the other courses. If you're having trouble with the fakey MT grammar naming
convention, but still understand the grammar well, don't worry about it.

I agree that the foundation+advanced courses are pretty good, but would like to point out to any prospective users
that they don't teach a high percentage of the language's grammar. Whereas MT French probably teaches 90+
percent of the basic grammar, Russian is probably less than 50%.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 5 of 14
22 August 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Neil UK and leosmith, for your valuable opinions. I think I'll get the MT courses when I can, they seem to be exactly what I need.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6044 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 6 of 14
25 August 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I agree that the foundation+advanced courses are pretty good, but would like to point out to any prospective users
that they don't teach a high percentage of the language's grammar. Whereas MT French probably teaches 90+
percent of the basic grammar, Russian is probably less than 50%.
True. The Russian course is still teaching basic grammar in the vocabulary course. If you do all three courses you get all the basics covered of Russian grammar. If you only do foundation and advanced, you are not still missing some very important basic grammar.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 7 of 14
25 August 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
hobbitofny wrote:
If you do all three courses you get all the basics covered of Russian grammar.

I doubt this, but I'm going to take the vocab course in a few days, and will report back.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6044 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 8 of 14
25 August 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
The Vocab course covers the cases not presented in the first two courses. To me, that is the basics of the grammar. I will be interested to read your report.

Edited by hobbitofny on 25 August 2011 at 12:15pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version