United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 1 of 3
23 August 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
I just started the Japanese 401 class at my university and this is the textbook we're using. It seems pretty extensive
and it seems that it's designed to take students up to a level where they can pass the JLPT N2 after finishing it. On
the syllabus for my class it says that students are "encouraged" to take N3 or N2 this December.

I hadn't planned to take the JLPT until I felt I could pass the N1 level, probably sometime next year, maybe while I'm
in Japan on my study abroad program. But somehow I feel encouraged. Should I sign up to take the test this
December? I did practice questions for the N5 and 4 and they were very easy.
Besides that question, have any of you used Tobira before? Did you like it? What would you say is the best way to
use the book (and accompanying website)? I also have the Kanji book for the same level (きたえよう漢字力).

When I've used it more, I will write a review on this forum for other users.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6760 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 3
23 August 2011 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I've never used Tobira, but I can comment on the JLPT.

What I've read online is that for career and academic purposes, there's no use for any of the JLPT levels N3-N5. If an employer or other organization
demands Japanese language certification, it will be for N1 or sometimes N2. Thus, the common reasons people take the lower levels are for personal reasons
such as "to assess my current level" or "to give focus and direction to my studies". However, I personally wouldn't recommend taking any level of the JLPT
for these kind of reasons because, like any standardized test, it requires a lot of training specifically for the test that doesn't necessarily translate
to real-life skill in Japanese. My own experience with the JLPT (I sat the old level 2 and N1) was that preparing for it distracted me and made Japanese a
chore as much as it gave me purpose and motivated me. After sitting each of the tests, I had mixed feelings about whether or not it was worth the months I
put into it (particularly after developing carpal tunnel-like wrist pain from cramming so much kanji each day with Anki!), but now I can say I'm glad I
took them because each of them provided me with some kind of opportunity I might not have had otherwise (I believe my level 2 was instrumental in getting
me a Japanese work visa, and my N1 for getting work as a translator). If it had been the N3, I don't think I could have confidently said it was worth the
trouble. So my advice is to go for the N2 if you're going to take it at all.

By the way, I also took the level 2 (between the current N2 and N3 in difficulty) in December of my final year of university. There were not many of us who
took it, and of the ones who did, few of us passed it, precisely because it required so much extra study outside of our regular courseload. I think 3
months to prepare is a bit tight to begin with, but it will probably be even more trying for a university student, so that's another factor to consider.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6188 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
02 April 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I recently bought this book and like it a lot. The reading passages are interesting and less student oriented than other textbooks I've seen, making it better suited to adult learners. And if one can find a used copy it's quite a good value as well, with lots of online supplemental audio-visual material available.

That said, according to the introduction the book is intended for students who have completed an introductory level text like Genki I and II, but I wonder how doable it is for a self-learner? IMO, self-learners may want to get a hold of the accompanying instructor's guide which contains English translations of the text.

Edited by sheetz on 02 April 2012 at 1:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version