186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 9 of 14
30 November 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
xuxakat wrote:
... Turkish vowels
are very important and very variable

For purposes of illustration, you can picture the Turkish vowels at the corners of a cube. There's a nice illustration [/url=http://idiom.ucsd.edu/~bakovic/111/LIGN111-H13-Turkish-Vowels.pdf]here[/url], which also explains hoe the vowel harmony works.

Atatürk consulted a linguist from northern Europe, so the letters ü and ö came to be used.
Quote:
(and you have quite many as compared to Arabic that
has 3 long ones that are written and three short ones..).

If Ottoman Turkish used the same conventions as Arabic,only (some of) the three long vowels were represented in normal writing, not the short ones.
1 person has voted this message useful

xuxakat
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4530 days ago

15 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, English
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 10 of 14
02 December 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I don't really get your point, Lugubert :(

Actually I understand the vowel harmony and the vowel system and I think that Ottoman
used the same conventions. i just wanted to state that in my opinion in Turkish vowels
are kind of more important and variable compared to Arabic and so the importance of
writing them might be higher than in Arabic. So the scripture of Arabic might not be the
very best one for Turkish. That's why I think that the decision to change the alphabet
was not that bad at all and using the help of linguists made it extremely easy to read
and write Turkish as it is very logic.

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6649 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 11 of 14
03 December 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Yes, kind of the point I tried to make.
xuxakat wrote:
Turkish vowels
are kind of more important and variable compared to Arabic and so the importance of
writing them might be higher than in Arabic.

Omitting eight Turkish vowels from writing must lose more information that omitting three Arabic ones.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6054 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 12 of 14
20 February 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
The language has changed so much that even speeches by Atatürk (who died in 1938) have sometimes had to have their vocabulary modernised to be properly understood today. In at least some volumes of poetry by Nazim Hikmet, extensive glosses have been added because some of his vocabulary was deemed by the editors to be incomprehensible to the modern reader, yet Hikmet is hardly ancient history - he died in 1963.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6441 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 13 of 14
03 May 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I would say that if a Turk who knew how to read Ottoman orthography also could read and understand parts of the
Qur'an, then that's suffering from severe diglossia. As I've understood it many arabisms (heck, the name of the
language is lišani Osmani, *lšn is a semitic root!) and persianisms were used in the writing system due to either
showing how educated you were, or due having to because of the lack of clarity an abjad gives a very vowel rich
language. This reminds me of Pahlavi, and abjad used to write Middle Persian, but was so unfit for the language
that entire words were written out in Aramean to be read as if they were in Persian.

ToyCar
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4370 days ago

2 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English

Message 14 of 14
03 May 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
It isn't suffering. A muslim have to read and understand Quran, so the language used helps in the goal, how can it be suffering? Many German words can be recognised by an English-speaker, is it suffering? No, conversely, it is useful. There are loanwords taken from Persian to decorate literature but most of them are common and have taken due to needs and some of them even lost the meaning came from its origin. There are Latin words which didn't exist in the language before Turks came to Anatolia and they have been being used for centuries now.

I can't claim Turkish was or is pure. Like all other languages, Turkish has/had adopted loanwords but they were used in Turkish grammatical constituent. Invented so-called Turkish words are not generally derived from Turkish suffixes but they are served as pure Turkish, so this is a suffering because Arabic and Persian words are known as what they are but if you look in the dictionary for these new ones, they'll seem Turkish.

In Turkish law, today, still Ottoman Turkish is used to express everything detailed because modern Turkish is not sufficient to bear the meanings in short.

Edited by ToyCar on 07 May 2012 at 7:50am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version