Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 17 of 36
05 September 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
sou desu ka. roomaji ga yomiyasui ga, kanji wo yomu no ni nareta n desu ka. jaa, roomaji no sonzai wa kirai ja nai desu ne. roomaji wo shoumetsu saseyou to shite iru hitobito ga iru kedo, kujichagulia-san wa dou omoimasu ka.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 18 of 36
05 September 2012 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
boku ni totte wa, roomaji wo yoku tsukaeba ii to omoimasu. kanji no yomikata wo shirabenai de hon de kotoba wo manabetari, shinbun mo yasashiku yomeru kara.

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4359 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 19 of 36
10 September 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
ima, daredemo no neko san ha onaji heya ni imasu ka? watashi to watashi no neko ha issho ni tabeiru...

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4632 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 20 of 36
10 September 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
ローマ字はとても読みにくいだ・・・
(ローマじは とてもよみにくいだ)
(roomaji ha totemo yominikui da)

Can't we just provide a string of kana instead

また、漢字が大好きです!
(また、かんじが だいすきです!)
(mata, kanji ga daisuki desu!)

I am so used to hiragana that I read it almost as fast as I read roman letters, unless
the sentence is only a string of hiragana without kanji, because kanji do make things
easier when you know them. And I read words like dai'suuu'ki and desuu when reading
romaji for some reason.)

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 

Message 21 of 36
11 September 2012 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
zerrubabbel-san
ima, neko-san to onaji heya ni imasu ka. watashi wa watashi no neko to issho ni tabete iru... to iitai desu ne.

stifa-san
eigo wa roomaji de kakarete imasu. nihongo ga roomaji de kakaretara, hiragana wo manabu hitsuyou wa nakunarimasu. chotto renshuu sureba, roomaji wo hiragana/kanji yori hayaku yomeru you ni narimasu.

English is written using letters. If Japanese was written using letters, there would be no need to learn hiragana. If you practice a little, you'll be able to read it faster than hiragana.

nannenkan nihongo wo benkyou shite kimashita ka. kanji ga daisuki to iimashita ga, baai ni yotte, kanji no yomikata wa ookiku chigaimasu yo. nihonjin mo machigatta yomikata wo shimasu. tatoeba, ioutou wa ioujima to shite machigaete yobarete kimashita. shima no kanji ga shima no namae ni areba, "shima" ka "jima" ka "tou" ka, dou yobu beki ka mayotte shimaimasu yo. nihonjin de mo mayou you na baai de atte mo, furigana wa hotondo arimasen. subete no kotoba no yomikata wo hitotsu hitotsu oboete iku shika nai n desu. benkyou wo tsudzukereba, kanji wo kirau you ni naru deshou.

How many years have you been studying Japanese? You said you like kanji, but the readings differ depending on the situation. Even Japanese people misread words. For example, Iwojima is supposed to be read as Ioutou, but Japanese people have been reading it wrong for decades (if I'm not mistaken). Whenever 島 comes at the end of an island's name, you won't know if it's supposed to be shima, jima, or tou. Even in the cases where Japanese people would be unsure of how to read a word, furigana is rarely given. You have no choice but to memorize each word's reading as you go (never guess!). As you continue your studies, you'll probably come to hate kanji, too.

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4359 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 22 of 36
13 September 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
wakarimashita! arigatou hiiro san! dono gurai benkyou shite imasu ka?

Fiveonefive
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5452 days ago

69 posts - 88 votes 
Studies: Swedish

Message 23 of 36
13 September 2012 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:

How many years have you been studying Japanese? You said you like kanji, but the readings differ depending on the situation. Even Japanese people misread words. For example, Iwojima is supposed to be read as Ioutou, but Japanese people have been reading it wrong for decades (if I'm not mistaken). Whenever 島 comes at the end of an island's name, you won't know if it's supposed to be shima, jima, or tou. Even in the cases where Japanese people would be unsure of how to read a word, furigana is rarely given. You have no choice but to memorize each word's reading as you go (never guess!). As you continue your studies, you'll probably come to hate kanji, too.

珍しい例外として、島のルールは簡単ですよ 。和語の地名には「何何+しま」、漢語と外 来語(アイヌ語も)の地名には「何何+とう 」が付く。

「いおうじま」はすごく有名の誤りです。

Mezurashī reigai toshite, shima no rūru wa kantandesu yo. Wago no chimei ni wa `nani nani + shima', kango to gairai-go (ainugo mo) no chimei ni wa `nani nani + tō' ga tsuku. `Iōji ma' wa sugoku yūmei no ayamari desu.

I hate romaji and just threw what I wrote into google translate and clicked the phonetic translation.

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 

Message 24 of 36
13 September 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Fiveonefive-san, sou desu ne. sore wa on'yomi to kun'yomi no futsuu no ruuru desu kedo, yutouyomi(湯桶読み) to juubakoyomi(重箱読み) no kotoba mo arimasu ne. ika wa koko (http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/jn/%E3%81%98%E3%81%BE/m2u/ ) kara toridashita rei desu.

本島(ほんじま)。いおうじま【伊王島】。 きかいじま【喜界島】。せんすいじま【仙酔 島】。こうじま【幸島】。だいとうじま【大 東島】。どうじま【堂島】。えっちゅうじま 【越中島】。がんりゅうじま【巌流島】 。こじま【児島】 。とうしじま【答志島】
chinami ni, korera wa "jima" de owarimasu. "naninani-shima" to "naninani-jima" ni kansuru ruuru wa yahari nai desu ne. subete no yomikata wo kakunin shinakereba machigatte shimaimasu.

ioujima to iu shima wa hoka ni arimasu yo. kagoshima-ken no 硫黄島(ioujima). nagasaki-ken no 伊王島(ioujima). sanshou:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%A1%AB%E9%BB%84%E5%B3%B6

nani ga "I hate roomaji" desu ka. doushite eigo ga sonna ni kirai? Seriously, though. English and the other european languages are written using letters. How can you hate it if you're a native speaker of English? Don't you mean the Japanese script is more beautiful, or that you're not used to using letters for Japanese?

Edited by Hiiro Yui on 13 September 2012 at 4:49am

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version