United States
Joined 5542 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 9 of 20
31 August 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
therumsgone wrote:
I always thought that it was that she wanted to leave after she found out that the gloves weren't made out of natural
fiber (wool) but acrylic. However, she had to kill time since her husband wasn't coming back until 5. I could be
totally wrong though.

That doesn't really make sense, though (IMO). She starts off asking about the price of a hat, and when the clerk tells her "it is not expensive, the price is very reasonable", she changes the subject and starts asking about gloves. She didn't even know where the gloves were located, so it seems unlikely she came into the store intending to buy gloves made of wool and nothing but wool. And when she asks the out-of-nowhere question about the time, the clerk says "Oh, I get it. You're waiting for your husband" and the woman agrees, saying "Yes, that's right, and its raining outside so..." She's just killing time.

1 person has voted this message useful

seldnar
United States
Joined 6943 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 10 of 20
31 August 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
She's just killing time. At first the shopkeeper might think she's someone actually
interested in buying something, but quickly cottons on that she's not going to buy
anything, she's just killing time in a dry, warm place.

Footnoted
United States
Joined 4668 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 11 of 20
31 August 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I think the cartoon threw me off too. She dashes out the door just before 5 o'clock, while the shopkeeper insists it's not 5, as if he's trying to get her to linger.    

rapp
United States
Joined 5542 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 

Message 12 of 20
31 August 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Footnoted wrote:
I think the cartoon threw me off too. She dashes out the door just before 5 o'clock, while the shopkeeper insists it's not 5, as if he's trying to get her to linger.    

The cartoons usually present a phrase from that lesson in a different context.

Given that in the audio for this lesson the shopkeeper/clerk is female, the cartoon must be depicting a different scene. I don't have the cartoon in front of me right now, but as I recall, I took it to be an employee leaving work slightly early, and a boss yelling "Il n'est pas cinq heures!" as if telling her that it is not quitting time yet. I'll have to double-check later.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 20
01 September 2011 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
I just came back to the same lesson, and I shared your confusion! I understood the text, it was easy enough, but I
kept thinking there was a little Gallic joke in there, somewhere, that I just could not find. The last sentence, "non,
madame ... il n'est pas cing heures!" just didn't seem to fit the flow of the conversation.

rapp
United States
Joined 5542 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 

Message 14 of 20
01 September 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I just came back to the same lesson, and I shared your confusion! I understood the text, it was easy enough, but I
kept thinking there was a little Gallic joke in there, somewhere, that I just could not find. The last sentence, "non,
madame ... il n'est pas cing heures!" just didn't seem to fit the flow of the conversation.

How did it not? She was answering the woman's question.

The customer had asked if it was five o'clock, but the clerk had not answered the question. Instead, realizing that the customer was just passing time until her husband arrived, the clerk said "Oh, I understand. You're waiting for your husband." The customer said "Yes, that's right. And it is raining outside, so..." but she still doesn't know at this point what time it is. Should she expect her husband to arrive now? Does she have more time to kill? The clerk finally tells her "No ma'am, it is not five o'clock."

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 15 of 20
01 September 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
The random ellipsis and exclamation mark made it look more like a punch line, and less like a simple response.
That's all.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 20
01 September 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Just because this is a topic that I've thought about before, and he's my chance to complain...from Chinese With Ease lesson 50:

A. What's the date today?

B. Today's the third.

A. Oh no! I forgot! I've got to buy a train ticket!

B. What's the hurry? You're only going on Sunday!

A. What do you mean? I'm going the day after tomorrow!

B. You're really confused! Isn't Sunday the day after tomorrow then?

A. Oh yes! I got it wrong!

Me: huh?

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version