Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5940 days ago

95 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 17 of 17
24 August 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:

2.     The second is to make a conscious effort to control the selection of the language you think in. Turn off English or whatever
your native language automatic default system is and deliberately use a different operating system.
(...)
Could others please share what they do on their own to engage their languages in order to try to advance even further once they are
already advanced?

Instead of trying to think on my target language, I walk around with a little notebook in my pocket, and whenever I think or listen to
a word or expression that I realize I do not know in my target language ( that is, English ) I write it down and search for its
translation later on. So, even if I'm thinking in Portuguese, English is always running on the background, checking for vocabulary
gaps. Here are some examples of words I've learned this way in the past few days:

bem-te-vi        &nb sp;     Great Kiskadee
mamadeira        &nb sp;     baby bottle
dar indiretas        &nb sp; to drop a hint
dar birra         & nbsp;    to throw a tantrum

I don't like to use SRS at advanced stages of learning, so instead of creating flashcards, I search for texts or newspaper articles on
the Internet that contain these words, as it is very likely that these articles will present to me yet more new words and expressions
on my target language.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version