johnboy
United Kingdom
worldmapper.org
Joined 5448 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 33 of 33
21 May 2009 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Hi
I'm looking at sources of data on Indonesian first-language speakers around the world (Indonesian as opposed to other forms of Malay) - Ethnologue suggests there are speakers in the Netherlands, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, USA, and Wikipedia suggests there are speakers in the Netherlands, the Philippines, Malaysia, Australia, Brunei, Singapore, Thailand, East Timor, Saudi Arabia, Suriname, New Caledonia, and the United States. But it is hard to come by estimates for the numbers of speakers in those countries (with the exception of the US and Australia, where their censuses ask the question of language spoken at home).

I wonder, where do your estimates of number of speakers come from, and do they refer to Indonesian speakers, or all forms of Malay? And I'd be interested in any other information on estimates of Indonesian speakers by country.

Thanks in anticipation of any help!

John

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version