birdhands
United States
Joined 4623 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 6
07 September 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone. Please forgive me if this post is too far off topic or inappropriate in some other way.

I'm interested in studying a new language with an eye toward using it to earn extra income. I'm especially
interested in Farsi, Arabic, and Vietnamese; but I'll learn whatever is lucrative.

I'm not interested in working for the military or translating pharmaceutical inserts, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love languages and learning them; but I have a family to feed and must justify the time I
spend doing things like studying faraway tongues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
07 September 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Learn something more profitable. Languages don't have a good ROI economically.
7 persons have voted this message useful

birdhands
United States
Joined 4623 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 6
07 September 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Any other suggestions? I want to learn another language and I just need some excuse.

Élan
United States
Joined 5239 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 6
07 September 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum. I'm not too sure about the way Persian, Arabic or Vietnamese would help you with jobs. Persian is very easy but I think you may have enough time to learn a more lucrative skill in the time it would take you to learn Arabic or Vietnamese.

Other suggestions? Well, employers have always recommended Spanish to me. In fact, I have lost out on some jobs because I don't speak Spanish.

Every location has languages that are especially useful. If you want to stay in your current city, I might go that route. For example, a quick Google search shows me that in Minneapolis/St. Paul (my location), the top 6 non-English languages are: Spanish, Hmong, Somali, Vietnamese, Russian and Laotian. Choosing one of those languages would be beneficial if I want to stay here (especially those in the top 3).

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5004 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
08 September 2011 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Birdhands, welcome. There's a "Search" feature for the forums, with a link in the banner at the top. You can do a Google search, a text search, and a tag search. There's a tag for "career", and if you try that, you'll find 123 threads with that tag.

Have a little browse. Some threads/posts may be more relevant to your situation than others. Meramarina included a link to a very useful university handout, "Foreign Language Career Choices", in this post.

The "General information and strategies" at the bottom of the University of Tennessee handout also offers more sound advice and things to think about.

Edited by songlines on 08 September 2011 at 4:11pm

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4876 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 6 of 6
08 September 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
If I were you, I'd teach English abroad. But you said you have a family, maybe you could learn Spanish and teach children or depending on your level, teenagers.

I had an English teacher (native speaker) and she also had a degree in Spanish, you don't need to be a native speaker to teach, as long as you are teaching lower levels and know the grammar perfectly.

You could work as a touristic guide, but you would need another course as well.
Teaching, translating, interpreting, language consultant and many others where you need the knowledge of foreign languages: international business, international relations, etc. But don't forget that for any kind of job your overall ability will make a huge difference.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version