Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4829 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 10
10 September 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I don't think the crowds are that specific for Prague, I've seen similar situation in several Italian cities, in center of Paris and in Berlin as well (but that one was long ago, I admit).

As montmorency points at Prague taking place of Dublin, I guess a good exemple of something similar was Italy before Euro. For Germans, for exemple, it was considered cheap so the masses who usually seek cheaper destinations and guided crowd tourism were there (quite an oxymoron, travel agency never makes things cheaper). After Euro, it is Prague. Hopefully it will change either when Euro's value decreases a bit more or when Czech Rep. accepts Euro (I guess the first option is closer at current situation).

Btw I don't think it's only stag and hen nights. There is usually a lot of groups of seniors and people of older-middle age or on the other extreme school groups as well. Those wouldn't be that bad but it is always sad to see someone of my age in such a crowd. I may be naive but I think that people in their twenties should already know at least one foreign language and should have the courage to go somewhere at their own to explore the place and culture just the way they like instead of being spoonfed the tourist theatre. It's not that hard to buy a train/plane ticket (or gas in a car which is often cheaper) and to book a room somewhere.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5385 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 10
10 September 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
'people in their twenties should already know at least one foreign language and should have the courage to go somewhere at their own to explore the place and culture just the way they like instead of being spoonfed the tourist theatre'

I have to admit that I agree with this - it doesn't take much to get to CEFR A1-A2 and that is all one is going to need to substantially enrich a trip to a foreign city. On the otherhand, I didn't take up learning a language until I was in my 30s (when I had to learn French for business purposes and German because I married one) and so I just didn't travel anywhere and took my holidays in London (i.e. stayed at home). On reflection, I probably would have taken to learning languages earlier if I had travelled.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version