United Kingdom
Joined 3154 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 14
13 August 2015 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
I know this is an old post but I have a few points to make too. I have color grapheme synaesthesia but
onlyon numbers and vowels, although L(pinky purple) does present as a lighter colour of the letter I(dark
purple) .

I have always thought of having this as an absolutely useless skill to have. My party piece with numbers is
to be able to tell you instantly how many of a certain number are in a string of numbers. Number 1
(brightest green ever) is the easiest for some reason. It's just seems to pop out the most. When this
happens the numbers will appear in the original colour that they are intended to be for a split second and
then they get layered with what my brain wants the colour to be. It is possible to blink it away to the
original colour but then the associated colour will fade back in (if that makes sense). I always assumed
that everyone had this until I joined the forces and asked why the numbers were in different colours whilst
learning Morse code to which I was informed "they are not, what are you talking about? ".

It doesn't work on paper based materials but only on digital screens. Mobile phones, PC monitors etc. I am
not entirely sure how I can utilise this "skill" into my language learning though. Out of curiosity, are the
other syneasthetes on this forum left hand dominant or ambidextrous by any chance?
3 persons have voted this message useful

blauwevos
France
Joined 3454 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 14
14 August 2015 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Right-handed, and I only associate colors with vowels, not with consonants.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6023 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 11 of 14
06 October 2015 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm right handed and have color grapheme synaesthesia.

I always find it amusing how other people's letters are so different in color to mine.

For Japanese, my Hiragana colors are the same as their romaji equivalents. So か is the
same as "ka", そ is the same as "so", etc. My Katakana colors seem to be the same but
much weaker, maybe because the characters are too choppy/blocky and because I don't
read Katakana very much.

For Kanji/Chinese characters, there isn't much color either. A component like 口 is
black like the letter O, and straight line components tend to be white like the letter
"I". 女 is lilac colored, 糸 is red/purple/gold like multi-colored spool of thread.
But there are so many components that didn't take on a color in my head, so many kanji
don't really have a color.

2 persons have voted this message useful

ExRN
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3154 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 12 of 14
17 October 2015 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Yukamina wrote:
I'm right handed and have color grapheme synaesthesia.

I always find it amusing how other people's letters are so different in color to mine.

For Japanese, my Hiragana colors are the same as their romaji equivalents. So か is the
same as "ka", そ is the same as "so", etc. My Katakana colors seem to be the same but
much weaker, maybe because the characters are too choppy/blocky and because I don't
read Katakana very much.

For Kanji/Chinese characters, there isn't much color either. A component like 口 is
black like the letter O, and straight line components tend to be white like the letter
"I". 女 is lilac colored, 糸 is red/purple/gold like multi-colored spool of thread.
But there are so many components that didn't take on a color in my head, so many kanji
don't really have a color.

absolutely facinating!! I have read previously that we are born that way but I have also read elsewhere that
kts from association that we acquire as children. The letter A seems to be consistently red for a lot of
others too. Maybe the letter "a" was always produced in red on them flashcards that used to get hung up
whilst at nursery? Not sure. I remember as a child, each letter having a character associated with it. For
example, the letter "I" was impy ink.....could the ink have been purple? I cant remember. Possible though.I
remember the letter "A" was annie apple.....now its a 50/50 chance on what colour she was and I am
guessing that she was a red apple. Makes sense to me. The numbers though, I cannot recall anywhere in
my childhood that had numbers represented by colours. No one in their right mind would use the colours I
have in order to teach them. Lime green? Not even sure that was offered as a choice on BBC computers or
whatever ancient technology the teachers used when I was at school.

maybe coincidental but stress appears to make the colours even more powerful than they are as standard.
Closing a sale in a call centre, phone numbers would pop out, doing tests on computers with numbers,
again powerful popping.

Accents on letters dont affect it either. An I is an í which is purple, although the accented I does appear
more purple there but I think that is because it is slimmer so my brain is trying harder to tell me that it is
definitely an i.
1 person has voted this message useful

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3602 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes

Message 13 of 14
08 May 2016 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Would probably be better to colour word types rather than letters
I could see this helping with conjugations

In Spanish this could be useful

Seeing the verb endings in different colours would help them
Sink in

Rhian
France
Joined 6256 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
08 May 2016 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Www.forum.language-learners.org - Mercutio we have
pretty much all moved to the aforementioned forum!

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version