United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 9 of 15
24 September 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I showed his video to a friend of mine who is a native Polish speaker and also speaks fluent Japanese, Spanish, and an African language he doesn't claim to speak.

Anyway, she looked at the Polish one and said he didn't do too bad, particularly for someone who had only three months. She also said the same thing about his Japanese.

I can't speak either language so I can't validate her review either way.
1 person has voted this message useful

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4879 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 10 of 15
29 September 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
I just watched the video of him speaking Hindi and I must say that I'm
impressed. Although he makes quite a few mistakes and his pronounciation is far from
perfect, he deserves some credit for his efforts.
Even if his claim of studying the language for only 3 months is untrue, his achievement
would still be commendable.
Napoleon.

I'm far from impressed. Anyone could flip through a phrasebook and produce a 1 (1!)
minute video of themself talking in a language they don't know at all.

"Main hindi bolte hun" is a pretty basic mistake, is it not?

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4812 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 15
29 September 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
If he were speaking Urdu, "Hum Hindi bolte hain." would be perfectly acceptable.
In Hindi we say, "Main Hindi bolta hun."
He seems to have rendered a pidgin of the two.
Still, I could understand the basic premise of his sentence, he said: "I speak Hindi".
There were a few other errors in the video too, but he deserves credit for his efforts does he not?
After all, to err is human, etc.
Napoleon

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 15
29 September 2011 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Maybe he has made an effort to read up some of his old languages after the disaster with the video that was publicized on Youtube? This still doesn't mean that he would be able to have a regular conversation in all the languages he claims to speak. I have personally made videos in languages where I would have problems to have a conversation due to lack of speaking and listening practice. Making a video after thinking about what to say, looking words up, noting down things that might come in handy and finally organizing your thoughts before actually pressing the 'record' button is quite another thing than having a simple conversation with a living person. I don't say that it is more easy or more difficult - it's just a different kind of task. There are probably also people who couldn't put a video together, but who have discussions in their target languages on a daily basis. Now we know at least that Ziad Fazah can make videos, and unless he continues to call himself the greatist living polyglot my curiosity stops there.

Edited by Iversen on 29 September 2011 at 9:38am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4879 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 13 of 15
02 October 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:

There were a few other errors in the video too, but he deserves credit for his efforts does he not?

I don't think he does, because he's not actually interested in learning Hindi. He's just parroting a few paragraphs to feed his ego.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5356 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 15
02 October 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
and unless he continues to call himself the greatist living polyglot my curiosity stops there.

Ziad Fazah's English language video wrote:
I do keep being the greatest living polyglot, in the "Geens" Book, ... in Brazil... and internationally
(honestly)

Go get him, Tiger.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 02 October 2011 at 7:54pm

Venustus
Pentaglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4598 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 15
02 October 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
He can perfectly speak Portuguese, and if any Brazilian watch this video, this person
will say that he's a native speaker. It's important to add that the Brazilian Portuguese
is not easy to reach perfection, and even the people that live here for a long time can't
speak as well as a native Brazilian. He is not so laudable, though.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version