christian
United States
Joined 5031 days ago

111 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, German

Message 1 of 8
15 September 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
I am a freshman in the NROTC program at Miami University. In 4-5 years I'll be an officer on an aircraft carrier
which routinely make trips all over the pacific and indian ocean. I am taking German courses and already know
quite a bit, including Spanish. However, I think it would be wise for me to learn either Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, or
Japanese. I know from the past that you guys hate topics about "which language should I learn", but I need some
help because I honestly like them all about the same. Maybe take a more pragmatic approach and discuss their
usefulness in comparison with each other.

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 8
15 September 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm, the Pacific, Mandarin, Russian and Korean should be quite useful in the Pacific theater. So when you learn those languages you'll be posted to the Med! Never underestimate military logic!

Edited by Fasulye on 28 May 2012 at 10:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

HMS
England
Joined 4888 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 3 of 8
16 September 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Depends which branch of the navy you will be in. What speciality are you planning on being?

scribe
United States
Joined 4673 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 4 of 8
16 September 2011 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
If you know you'll be stationed on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific and Indian oceans,
I'd suggest Mandarin. The Chinese navy has been undergoing a great deal of buildup and
modernization in the past decade, and could very well be soon spreading its influence and
naval capabilities beyond its current sphere. Also, the U.S. Navy and the PLAN have
supposedly been exploring opportunities for joint naval exercises, so a knowledge of
Mandarin could come in handy there.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5196 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 8
16 September 2011 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
These days, pretty much any time the US Navy is mentioned in the press, it's in the context of discussion regarding the rapidly modernizing and increasingly "bold" PLA Navy, what with the Spratly Islands and all. However, this has had the curious effect of making China's maritime neighbors, such as Vietnam and the Philippines, increasingly invaluable to the US's geostrategy in the Pacific sphere. Thus, if you by any chance want to go for a road-less-traveled approach, Vietnamese may be prove to be a unique option, though of course its utility is strictly confined to one small region.

Edited by nway on 16 September 2011 at 4:36am

HMS
England
Joined 4888 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 6 of 8
16 September 2011 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Any usefulness of a foreign language in the navy will be wholly dependant on your role onboard. Unless your role is in electronic warfare / surveillance then the only real advantage, in terms of aiding your career / effectiveness would be your ability to act as a liason officer during time alongside in a country whose language you are familiar with.

Antisrcen
Canada
Joined 4389 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes

Message 7 of 8
27 May 2012 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
It'd make sense at first to go with the language that would be used most in that area,
but remember that everyone else will be thinking the same thing. So it would be smart of
you to find out what major language is being ignored most and then go from there; if
you're the only one on the ship that can speak a specific Arabic dialect, then that'd
probably make you more useful than if you knew Mandarin since there'd be so many people
studying it already. Make some calls.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4492 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 8 of 8
01 June 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
hey christian, I am a veteran of the Navy so I wanted to chime in a bit. Learn a
language you are passionate about and actually want to study. One phrase you will hear
over and over is "needs of the Navy." You can get yourself to a very high level in,
say, Arabic, but find yourself sent to a destroyer out of San Diego that never gets
within a thousand miles of an Arabic speaking country. Pursuing a language you actually
enjoy makes more sense personally and professionally. This is because you can still get
Foreign Language Proficiency Pay.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/fo reign-language-proficiency-
and-proficiency-bonus.html

That is just a short link, but if you google the name, you can find out more.

We had guys on our ship (and later in units when I was in the Middle East) that could
speak the languages we needed to be around. There are no linguist officers (there are
crypto's, but that is not the same), so you will always be first and foremost focused
on your primary duties and, especially as a junior officer, getting all your
qualifications up to par. So, your language skills would definitely go into a bit of a
hibernation mode when you first get aboard.

All in all, it is great to met someone looking to serve and I wish you the best of
luck. To reiterate, follow what interests you most as the Navy is going to get out of
you what they want to get out of you, regardless. Haha.

May you have fair winds and following seas.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version