United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 57 of 78
29 October 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Did you find the FSI recordings? I'm having trouble doing an internal link from my
computer, but the "FSI Modern Written Arabic" forum has direct links to the audio
downloads.

Also, it seems that al-3arabiya has moved to blogspot, so the recordings might be
there: http://al3arabiya.blogspot.com/

Meanwhile, I needed a break from FSI so figured I'd give Assimil an honest try. My
feelings are mixed - which is a great improvement over thinking the course was just a
pile of crap!   The odd-sounding recordings are ok when you are trying to follow along,
or repeat the phrases and catch the endings.

I still can't stand to just casually listen to the recordings, but I balance it out by
listening to Arabic Podcast 101 afterwards. They guys in the podcast have nice voices,
and it's nice to hear good Arabic.

I think I'll try and alternate for a bit: a week of FSI for the writing drills, and a
week of Assimil for basic conversation.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emiliana
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4908 days ago

81 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Arabic (classical)

Message 58 of 78
30 October 2011 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I wrote the last time. I catched a bad cold and couldn't study for a few days :(. Now I am better and I went to the Arabic class on friday for the first time. 4hours!!! I was a bit afraid before but then it was ok. We learned vocabulary about the weather and in the end we where able to follow original weather forecast on Arabic telvision! Wow!!! That gives motivation I can tell you!

I thought I could share some of the stuff I learned with you:

the weather   الطَّقس
cold         &n bsp;بارِد
hot         &nb sp; حارّ
rainy         & nbsp;مُمطِر
sunny         & nbsp;مُشمِس
cloudy        غائِم
warm         &n bsp; دافِئ
dry         &nb sp;  جاف
humid         & nbsp; رَطِب
degree        دَرَجَه
temperature     حَرارة

The next days I want to search for a website where you can watch Arabic weather forecasts, maybe aldjazeera.

Also we listened to a song from Fairuz (I forgot the title... I will look it up the next if you are interested) and we where able to understand the text, too!
3 persons have voted this message useful

KSAKSA
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4939 days ago

65 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Gulf)

Message 59 of 78
31 October 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Emiliana, by the subject matter and mentioning Fairuz I'd say you MUST be studying Al-Kitaab (sorry if you've mentioned it before, I haven't read the whole thread).

Al Kitaab often gets a bad rap which is unwarranted (in my opinion). It's not a bad little (big!) book to cut your teeth on at all I think.

Emiliana
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4908 days ago

81 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Arabic (classical)

Message 60 of 78
31 October 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
hi ksaksa!

thanks for your comment! in fact, my Arabic teacher uses this book for her "newer" courses and she also copied the page with the fairuz lyrics for us (the song's name is حبيتك بالصيف , by the way). She also says that al-kitaab is way better the book we are using.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6023 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 61 of 78
31 October 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Emiliana wrote:
Hi guys!
I thought I could share some of the stuff I learned with you:

the weather   الطَّقس
cold         &n bsp;بارِد
hot         &nb sp; حارّ
rainy         & nbsp;مُمطِر
sunny         & nbsp;مُشمِس
cloudy        غائِم
warm         &n bsp; دافِئ
dry         &nb sp;  جاف
humid         & nbsp; رَطِب
degree        دَرَجَه
temperature     حَرارة

Emiliana، this is so helpful!! Please try to keep this up if time allows - I'm going to look for a weather forecast now...

I will try to do this from my class as well although it won't be as "thematically" based.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6023 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 62 of 78
02 November 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
OK, So rather than pasting my whole review vocabulary here, this is the key for the deck on Anki:

key = 34ff5b3366496a3e    Copy and paste the above key to others, then tell them to go to http://ankiweb.net/account/home   -> click the More button -> then click the " Deck subscriptions (has problems) " button on the left. Enter the key.

The deck is called "LT199 Arabic" I also have an FSI Saudi Arabic deck

key = c776c333664c14b4 called, what else, "Saudi Hijazi Arabic" but I kind of abandoned this effort once I started my class.   Maybe I'll start it up again inshallah.

I have been playing on the http://thearabicstudent.blogspot.com/ website a bit this week. It is really fun and I love the fact that there are copious translations. Thanks, Andrew! What a great site!

In class this week we have been learning about my instructor's homeland of Oman.   What an amazing place!! I have GOT to get there someday. She burned traditional Omani frankincense بخور(bukhoor) on halloween. The smell was heavenly! I can still smell it on my sweatshirt 3 days later!

Unit 8 of Teach Yourself. 2 Paragraphs from 1001 Nights ألف ليلة وليلة which I can understand with some glossary help. There is no way I would have been able to read this a 2 months ago!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 63 of 78
07 November 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Taking a quick break here, but I'll be back! Studying two languages posed far more
challenges than I realized; I wasn't making much progress at all. I'm heading with
some buddies to Mexico, so wanted to brush up on my weak Spanish. And I guess I can't
do it all!

I'll start back up with French and Arabic the last week in November. I left off at:

FSI Arabic, Lesson 10 (out of 32)
Assimil Arabic, Lesson 14 (out of 77)

and FSI French, Lesson 10
Assimil French, Lesson 84 (out of 132)

I would love to finish Assimil French by the end of the year. I'll probably jam on
that, and keep up the slow pace on Arabic.

2012 I'll reverse it, and start to focus more on Arabic. You all taking classes should
be so far ahead by then!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6023 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 64 of 78
07 November 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Ah Kanewai! رجلتُ!!!
كايس شوفَك!

I tracked down the FSI recordings but a ton were missing. Anyhow I am determined to finish TY Arabic and TY
Spoken Arabic. I have a bad habit of starting something then jumping to the next book that interests me. That
being said - one I finish them I think I will continue with the Kallimni 'Arabi series for Egyptian Arabic. One of the
students in our class is Egyptian. I really like the sound of Egyptian. It is much more melodic than the other Arabic
dialects. Anyhow; أنا أراكم قريبا!

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version