United States
TrentBooks.com
Joined 4635 days ago

43 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Guarani
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Japanese

Message 1 of 20
26 September 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
If you've read any of my other posts, you may have noticed that I enjoy incorporating research in my language learning efforts. I also blog about language learning and try to incorporate research and experience in my blog posts. So far I have come to really value the opinions and experiences of other members on this forum, and would like to conduct small scale research right here in this thread. My plan is to post very simple questions right here in this thread. I hope you will participate by answering the question and (if you feel inclined) including a very SHORT reason why you answered the way you did.

I would like to leave these questions "open" for a week each, and at the end of the week I'll post a summary of your responses so you can all see some basic data about the question. If you have a question you would like me to post, please PM me, so we can keep this board organized and simplified.

The first question I would like to pose is this:

What would you consider the most appropriate number of vocabulary words to learn in one day? Why?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5372 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 20
27 September 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Definitely sounds like a good idea. I'll participate.

I only try to learn 50 words a day. I'm a fan of Iverson's word list method, so I like to
make five columns of ten words each. I like to see the word in a sentence as well but I
don't write that down. After reviewing each column, I make more columns combining the
words I couldn't remember the first time around. Eventually I record the ten most
difficult words to remember on some note cards to carry around during the day. For me
anything more over fifty words becomes too difficult to review.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4864 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 3 of 20
28 September 2011 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I dunno, I don't have a specific daily allotment. Perhaps that means I learn more slowly,
but the words I try to memorize are any key words from songs I've been listening to or
articles/posts I've been reading.

If you can put in the effort, I think 50 wouldn't be a bad goal. However, I found that
when I focused on memorizing previously unseen vocabulary rather than learning from
actual native materials (i.e., from context) I found it too hard to learn the words. And
in a given day I usually wouldn't have the time to translate and memorize 50 words from
songs or texts.

Edited by Saim on 28 September 2011 at 4:51am

TrentBooks
Triglot
Groupie
United States
TrentBooks.com
Joined 4635 days ago

43 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Guarani
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Japanese

Message 4 of 20
28 September 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Saim wrote:
I dunno, I don't have a specific daily allotment. Perhaps that means I learn more slowly,
but the words I try to memorize are any key words from songs I've been listening to or
articles/posts I've been reading.

If you can put in the effort, I think 50 wouldn't be a bad goal. However, I found that
when I focused on memorizing previously unseen vocabulary rather than learning from
actual native materials (i.e., from context) I found it too hard to learn the words. And
in a given day I usually wouldn't have the time to translate and memorize 50 words from
songs or texts.

So for you, what is the "most appropriate number" of words to learn per day?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6905 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 5 of 20
28 September 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
In the beginning stages when I'm really focusing on vocab, 50 (give or take) sounds about
right to me.

At a more advanced level, maybe 3 per day. I lessen the intensity on vocabulary in favor
of grammatical nuances, and I try to nail down all the possible uses of each new word
rather than just the handiest one or two. I really despise rote learning of vocabulary,
and while I find it necessary in the beginning, I breathe a sigh of relief when I feel
that I've reached a stage where I can ease up on it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5609 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 6 of 20
28 September 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I like to do between 10-30, so I guess the average is 20. ;) Although sometimes I may "learn" 100 or more in a day
and put them all in Anki for reviewing, I then only encounter 20 new cards per day so in a way even that is still
"learning" 20 per day. I don't put much effort into remembering the word the first time around anyway, I let Anki do
the work for me.
In the past I've experimented with more and found that retention just becomes too difficult with any more than that.

Oh, I should mention that is is with regards to Japanese. I can handle up to 50 in western languages, probably
because of the higher incidence of cognates and the lack of kanji.

Edited by Luai_lashire on 28 September 2011 at 9:02pm

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5821 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 7 of 20
28 September 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Around twenty seems to be my average especially if I'm learning the correct spelling

Lexii
United States
Joined 5003 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 20
28 September 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
For me, it depends on the definition of "learn". How many new words am I exposed to in a day? Who knows, I don't keep count. Some days I guess I may be exposed to 50 or more unknown words, depending on which websites I visit or what books I look at. Other days, I may encounter only 10.

I can't say that I've "learned" any of them (as in can recall, recognize and/or write, define and/or use in a sentence), only that I've learned of their existence.

In case that makes a difference in the survey, I'm working on Japanese and I'd consider myself an upper-beginner.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version