rivere123
United States
Joined 4590 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 20
29 September 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Myself, I might learn between 2-15 in one day. As far as simply looking at a word, I could spend an hour or two going through my French dictionary with enough free time. Sadly, this has diminished significantly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4853 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 10 of 20
29 September 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I can only learn about 5 to 10 words a day. I may look at 50 but this is too many. At 10 words a day that is having an active knowledge of about 12000 words in three years. Not to shabby, plus a passive knowledge of many more. I usually jot down a few words I'm not familiar with and review them without a specific number goal in mind. Some words just take awhile to stick also.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 20
29 September 2011 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
I love the idea of doing research questions, and look forward to future ones.

But this one leaves me stumped. I've never really considered how many words I'd learn a
day. I used to memorize vocab lists in high school Latin, and college French ... but
never afterwards. I think in the beginning my struggle is more with grammar. I think of
Pimsleur, where one can go two months with what seems like very little vocab. And in six
lessons of Arabic, which has taken me three weeks, there've been only 75 words at most,
and half of these have been place names.

TrentBooks
Triglot
Groupie
United States
TrentBooks.com
Joined 4614 days ago

43 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Guarani
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Japanese

Message 12 of 20
04 October 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
OK, some of the answers were rather vague, but here is a summary of the responses:

Quantitative Elements
- 2 responses said 50 per day is an appropriate vocab learning goal.
- 2 responses said 20 per day is an appropriate vocab learning goal.
- 2 responses averaged about 7-9 new vocab words per day as an appropriate goal (one @ 2-15, one @ 5-10).
- Total average responses indicate that approximately 26 words per day would be the most appropriate number of vocabulary words to learn in the early stages of language learning. (This, obviously, depends on your available time, energy, etc.).

Qualitative Elements
- Responses indicate that more vocabulary should be studied in the early stages of language learning than in more advanced stages.
- At least one response also indicated that the nature of the second language being studied makes a difference (i.e. An English speaker learning Japanese, with Kanji characters, has a more difficult time studying vocabulary than if that person were to study another western language. Net effect is a decline in words per day).

Thank you for your responses, everyone!

NEXT QUESTION
Of the following items, please rate and order them by importance from 1-9 (1 is most important, should be studied first):

A. Parts of speech (i.e. verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc.)
B. Verb conjugations (this is listed separately from A because of size of scope)
C. Sentence structure/order (i.e. "Subject, Verb, Object")
D. Cases/Gender/Plurality (matching principles)
E. Pronunciation
F. Vocabulary
G. Imperatives (i.e. "commands")
H. Voice (i.e. "active" vs. "passive")
I. Subjunctives
K. Other (add your own)

Although all responses are welcome, specific responses help in producing quantifiable results (e.g. avoid things like "A-D are all a 1." Also, there is certainly a qualitative aspect to this, so please feel free to add a short response to help clarify anything you feel is important.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your responses!

Edited by TrentBooks on 04 October 2011 at 4:08am

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 20
04 October 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I spend way more time focusing on verb conjugations. I know you have separated verb
conjugations further, but I would include all the tenses and moods as important aspects
of verb conjugations. If you can construct the proper verb conjugation you can at least
say 1. what action was performed 2. when it was performed 3. who performed the action
(although not applicable in all languages) and 4. who received the action (again not
always applicable). That's a lot more information than just learning the cases, etc.

I want to clarify that learning all that stuff is obviously important. But if I had to
place greater emphasis on any of them I would pick verb conjugations followed by learning
the cases.

TrentBooks
Triglot
Groupie
United States
TrentBooks.com
Joined 4614 days ago

43 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Guarani
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Japanese

Message 14 of 20
04 October 2011 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Icaria909 wrote:
I spend way more time focusing on verb conjugations. I know you have separated verb
conjugations further, but I would include all the tenses and moods as important aspects
of verb conjugations. If you can construct the proper verb conjugation you can at least
say 1. what action was performed 2. when it was performed 3. who performed the action
(although not applicable in all languages) and 4. who received the action (again not
always applicable). That's a lot more information than just learning the cases, etc.

I want to clarify that learning all that stuff is obviously important. But if I had to
place greater emphasis on any of them I would pick verb conjugations followed by learning
the cases.

I appreciate the response. Can you order them from 1-9? (I'll have to edit my last post to be more clear about that...).
1 person has voted this message useful

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 20
04 October 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged 

1. Verb conjugations (this is listed separately from A because of size of scope)
2. Cases/Gender/Plurality (matching principles)
3. Pronunciation
4. Sentence structure/order (i.e. "Subject, Verb, Object")
5. Parts of speech (i.e. verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc.)
6. Vocabulary
7. Imperatives (i.e. "commands")
8. Voice (i.e. "active" vs. "passive")
9. Subjunctives
K. Other (add your own)

Lexii
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 20
04 October 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Although I'm putting great effort into studying Japanese, I'd still consider myself a rather casual language learner. I've had exposure to other languages, but that was years ago in school when it was mandatory for graduation. This time, I'm doing it for my own enjoyment. That said, I'm probably not as intense as many of the folks here on this forum, so my answers to your questions will probably reflect that casualness. I think some of your respondents may be more scientific (and certainly more efficient) in their approach.

Anyway, here are my orderings:

1) Pronunciation
2) Sentence Structure
3) Vocabulary
4) Parts of Speech
5) Conjugations
6) Imperatives
7) Voice
8) Cases/gender/plurality (I don't think any of this applies to Japanese?)
9) Subjunctives (again, I don't think this applies to Japanese?)

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version