Gibraltar
Joined 6797 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 11
30 September 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
I have always been in awe of Linguaphone. When I was young the courses cost about two month's pay and were generally paid off through a repayment plan. It was THE language course you bought if you were serious about learning a language.

I remember, way back in the 80's, finding a Linguaphone advert in a magazine (can't remember which). It showed a photo of an open briefcase, lots of books and cassettes (with cassette player included) strategically placed around the entire surface of the desk. Under the photo, it had a list of all the courses offered with a little tick box where you could tick the ones you wanted and send off for them. When my Dad saw that I had ticked all thirty-plus courses and asked him to send off for them, he reminded me that our surname was not Onassis. Nevertheless, I treasured that simple advert and, in true language geek fashion, even laminated it so that it couldn't spoil whilst I was admiring it. When I was a bit older, whilst on holiday in London, I managed to convince my parents to make a slight detour and visit the Linguaphone shop which used to be opposite Harrods*. Ah, those were the days.

fanatic wrote:
I have bought several now through eBay and secondhand bookshops and I treasure them. I still prefer Assimil but I will still take a Linguaphone course any time I can.

Me too, except that I still prefer Linguaphone.

* Sadly, it's not there any more. It might have become a Starbucks now.
3 persons have voted this message useful

yuriFromRoma
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4495 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 10 of 11
11 February 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Right now I'm teaching myself Russian through the Assimil method, but I'm also considering to purchase this course
as a complementary companion. My only concern is that it may be a little outdated. Please don't get me wrong, I'm
sure once it was a 5 stars course, but what about now? What about the age of the texts ?(40+ years old!) I'd really
appreciate any thoughts on that matter. Thanks.

Yuri

Edited by yuriFromRoma on 11 February 2012 at 12:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6015 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 11
15 February 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
It has a few seldom used words like record, tape and few Soviet era terms. However it is a very good course. Still one of the best Russian courses you can find.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version