Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5275 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 6
01 October 2011 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
For those interested in or studying Quebec/Canadian French but having trouble finding material for listening practice with transcripts, I have uploaded a collection of 612 audio files to my web server and created a small web application for playing them. Several people have asked for a copy of the collection but at almost 600 MB it is too big to email.

Unfortunately the application I created does NOT work on the Firefox web browser, only on Safari, Chrome or IE9. It has something to do with the jPlayer audio plugin failing to fallback from HTML5 audio to Flash audio. I do not have any time to investigate this problem now as I am starting an immersion program in Quebec City Monday plus I hate web development.

The audio files are all taken from news broadcasts but are not spoken by professional news broadcasters. The cool thing is that it features 21 different speakers, 11 men and 10 women, all with a different voice and rate of speech, some fast, some slow but all native Québécois. Also, as they are news stories, there is no slang or highly informal street language so you can get used to the accent with vocabulary and grammar that is familiar to you.

To use it I recommend that you turn off the text display and just listen and then show the text if there are words you do not recognize. If you have difficulty understanding, you can enable 'repeat' and let the track loop a few times and then show the text and press 'Next' to move on. You can also press 'Again' at any time to start the track form the beginning.

Sorry that I don't have time to debug any problems with this right now but if you have Safari, Chrome or IE9 feel free to give it a try and let me know if you think it is useful.

http://microsnout.com/crim

Edited by microsnout on 01 October 2011 at 3:36am

10 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5013 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
01 October 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Microsnout! - I've bookmarked it for future listening.

Best wishes with your immersion progamme; hope you'll have some time to post about it. - If so, I look forward to reading your reports.
1 person has voted this message useful

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 3 of 6
19 April 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Microsnout! Great resource! Only that the news are a bit too old.

I just went through the 1st speaker (34 recordings). Here are some minor typos I found in your transcription:

maghrébènes -> maghrébines
maintentant -> maintenant
raz-le-bol -> ras-le-bol
agro-alimentaire -> agroalimentaire

I like this speaker. He is slow and clear. Which radio channel was this?

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5275 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 

Message 4 of 6
19 April 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
These are not from a radio channel at all, it was a database of audio samples that I downloaded from the web site of
a Montreal company that does research in computer voice recognition. This was a test suite for software that
automatically generates sub-titles in realtime (I think). The speakers could be employees of the company or just
people hired to read this, either way they are not professional news readers which is good. The transcriptions came
with the files so they are not mine.

I am curious about how you managed to listen to all 34 of the first speaker since the program plays all speakers in a
random sequence.

And yes the news is a bit dated, lots of stuff about the Iraq war.

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 5 of 6
20 April 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
I see. No wonder every word is so clear!

I find randomly listening to the clips useful only if I understand what they are saying. This means I have to first listen to each clip a few times. So I had to download them. Hope you don't mind.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5275 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 

Message 6 of 6
20 April 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
No problem, you can do whatever you want with them. You can also set the repeat option to loop them
continuously until you click 'next'. I think I did listen to them one speaker at a time at first, then I loaded them all
into my ipod and used 'shuffle' to play them at random.

The original files I downloaded were video files of head an shoulder shots of each speaker but I threw out the video
to make them smaller.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version