Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5957 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 8
03 October 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I stumbled across this on the British channel BBC2 at 9:00pm on Sunday. In the first episode, he managed to discuss conlangs including Klingon and Esperanto, as well as interview a UN translator. In last night's episode, he discussed minority languages visiting Ireland and the Basque region. In the Irish section he appeared in the Irish language soap, Ros na Rún. He also visited Israel to discuss the development of modern Hebrew. I haven't enjoyed a program like this in a long time. He managed to touch on so many topics we discuss here, I wonder if he knows about this forum.

Has anyone else seen this program, and what did they think ?

Edited by DaraghM on 03 October 2011 at 12:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5187 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 8
03 October 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I think you can watch it here; however, it's only available within the UK.

It's also on Youtube

Edited by Arekkusu on 03 October 2011 at 4:36pm

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5965 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 3 of 8
03 October 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm a fan of Stephen Fry. I saw bits of both episodes. The second episode seemed better than the first. I recorded the first episode though, so I must watch the whole thing.

I saw the Ros na Rún episode when it was aired. He was good in it. Shame about the programme itself! Well, I hate all soaps so I'm not the best judge.

In episode 2, the discussion of Hebrew was very interesting. He was talking to a mechanic about the names of car parts in Hebrew. Some words came from Biblical Hebrew, others were constructed and many were borrowed from English.

The "immortal" from the French Academy had some weak arguments to support the Academy's negative position on minority languages in France. Basically he said "Ooo, French is wonderful and widely spoken. Why bother with your provincial non-entities?".

The bit about North African rap music was good too. They use their own French idiom, with Arabic and Portuguese loan words. European French has absorbed some of these words because of the music.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5187 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 8
04 October 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I watched the first episode yesterday and quite enjoyed it! A little succinct at times, but still entertaining.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5534 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 8
02 November 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I noticed that it has been taken down from the channel that Arekkusu linked. But all five episodes are here.

I liked this show, but I was hoping for something that would investigate languages deeper I guess. I knew many of the things he talked about, although some facts about some languages were very interesting. I think it was great as a introduction to the subject and it is a TV show so I can't expect too much.

All in all, I'd like to see more shows like that.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6388 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 8
02 November 2011 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Here is a Language Log post about the series, called "Around the world of words, without a linguist". Do read it if you watch the series.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4787 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 7 of 8
02 November 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I enjoyed all 5 episodes and was expectantly awaiting the sixth when I found out it was only a 5 part series. You
can't treat 6,000+ languages in 5 parts!!! But it was at least of interest to me and hopefully to the non-language
learner who now feels a little curiosity...

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4694 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 8 of 8
02 November 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I've watched the first 3 episodes so far (thank you to Harry Hill's TV Burp for pointing this show out to me!) and I'm loving it! It was especially interesting to hear about swear words and insults, and how they came about in different languages and cultures.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version