Diglot
Wales
Joined 4601 days ago

31 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Welsh

Message 1 of 6
05 October 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
After 33 years of on/off French learning, I'm finally living here ... on a boat ... and
without a job. Can I finally crack it?

Background: Studied French aged 11-16, tried to carry on 16-18 but realised I was going
to do badly - partly a poor foundation and partly a lack of study skills. Picked up
Italian from scratch at Uni and, with a year abroad, managed to occasionally pass as a
native after 3 years. I've been returning to French ever since - but only made progress
when I began self-study (no surprise there I now realise).

Strengths: Can read well (e.g. Zola not a problem with a dictionary), have a reasonable
vocab from reading (but not particularly colloquial), can *in theory* conjugate all
those verbs. I have a lot of time on my hands.

Weaknesses: LISTENING!!!!!!!! No structured interaction - e.g. no job. I'm here with my
English speaking boyfriend. And, let's face it, I have a fairly antisocial personality
:)

Plans: Complete Pimsleur - nearly there.
Keep reading but with more audiobooks.
I have the Friends box set - will mp3 it all and listen, listen, listen.
Find some French people - don't know how ...
Plan to do a month's course in the Spring leading to one of the DEFL-type exams - hope
to pass at B1 or B2 level.

Edited by PinkCordelia on 05 October 2011 at 3:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 6
23 December 2011 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the Romantics! I think you're our only team member on the ground ... maybe
we should send you ashore with language challenges! What part of France are you in?

Mepisevaerg
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 3 of 6
02 January 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi PinkCordelia! I'm also on the Romantics, and I'm studying French, Spanish, German and Mandarin this year.

PinkCordelia
Diglot
Wales
Joined 4601 days ago

31 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Welsh

Message 4 of 6
03 January 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kanewai and Mepisevaerg. Finally getting my act together after the Christmas break.
Language study is going well, it's internet access I have trouble with.

I am indeed on the ground/in the field in the linguistic motherland - not too much
pressure there then!! I think though that we also have a team member in Luxembourg and
of course some Canadians so I'm not the only live agent.

Kanewai, I'm currently in very rainy and windswept Brittany (on the most sticky out
north westerly bit if French geography's not your strong point). Though we will be
heading southwards as soon as the Spring reaches these parts. You set any language
challenges you like, though I don't guarantee to try them all ...

Mepisevaerg, I'm impressed with your long list of languages. I'm finding juggling two
(currently French and Italian) hard enough and I used to speak the latter fluently.

Am looking forward to seeing how everyone progresses - 362 days to go.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 5 of 6
03 January 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking you were on the Med coast! So I thought we'd send you ashore to the Nice
Flower Market ... I hear it's amazing ... and bring back quelque fleurs. I don't
know much about Brittany.    

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4999 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
26 January 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
PinkCordelia wrote:
After 33 years of on/off French learning, I'm finally living here ... on a boat ... and
without a job. Can I finally crack it?

Weaknesses: LISTENING!!!!!!!! No structured interaction - e.g. no job. I'm here with my
English speaking boyfriend. And, let's face it, I have a fairly antisocial personality
:)    

...Find some French people - don't know how ...

The boat (or is it a houseboat?) bit sounds truly "romantic", and I'm envious of you doing in France, to
boot!

It's been mentioned before on some of the threads, and you may already know about it and have decided that it's
not right for you, but have you tried joining Couchsurfing?
http://www.couchsurfing.org

It's a hospitality exchange website, through which people offer to host travelers (and in turn are hosted by others
when they themselves travel). There's an option for offering just "coffee and a drink" if you don't have space to
(or otherwise can't) host anyone (some members live in college dorms, for example). I've used it (both hosting
and as a guest), and specify in my profile that I particularly welcome Francophones.   You don't have to
agree to host anyone whom you're not comfortable with.   I find that, if I write my own CS profile carefully (e.g.
books I enjoy, favourite films, and the like), it increases my chances of getting prospective guests who share my
interests, and are sympatico.

A number of towns/cities also have active, locally-organized, Couchsurfing groups, where members (whether
visiting or living in town) meet for social gatherings - often at a pub, but also sometimes for other activities.
(Last autumn, one member planned an apple-picking harvest.)

Or perhaps there's a nearby weekly/fortnightly Meetup group you might be interested in...?
http://www.meetup.com/cities/fr/?all=1
If there isn't one with your area of interest (language exchange, sailing, travel, whatever...), you also have the
option of starting one. The Meetup site charges local organizers a fee, but organizers typically offset that by
asking for (and notifying attendees in advance of this) a small donation (of a couple of dollars or so) from each
attendee. Several of us in The Romantics have attended / are attending Language Meetups, and found them
useful. To a certain degree, it depends on the makeup of the individual group. But if you're by nature "antisocial"
this may of course not be suitable for you.

Perhaps post an ad for a language exchange partner? Or does your community have a "newcomers welcome
group" of some sort?   

- Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Couchsurfing. Best of luck in your French language
endeavours!

Songlines, posting from officially bilingual Canada; but living in a part sans good French bread.

Edited by songlines on 26 January 2012 at 3:01am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version