Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5570 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 33 of 42
02 January 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Well the core method is based on their development of the work of Michel Thomas, they
openly acknowledge that, so all the stuff about the pause button is no coincidence.
They do the same at the start of the Greek course. Regarding the start of the English
course, all that ible/able stuff (which is well known and used by many courses) is a
hook: it's a key feature of the method to get people excited and showing them how much
knowledge they can transfer is the easiest way to do so and they undoubtedly got this
"hook" from Michel Thomas too. But the structure of English is Germanic, not Romance,
so it will be completely impossible for them to just reverse the whole MT Spanish
course, and so I'm willing to bet they don't. It's just a case of taking bits here and
there to improve their own new material and build a new whole: this is neither plagiarism nor even blame-worthy, though it might indeed be possible to sue- but if it
is then it's frankly disgusting. I started to listen to their English course out of
curiosity when it first came out, but I stopped because I noticed what sounded to me
like mistakes in the Spanish base language, and while I guess I might be wrong (I'm not
qualified to say they definitely WERE mistakes), I didn't want to risk harming my own
Spanish, so I can't say how they broke English down, I wouldn't mind knowing!.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 34 of 42
03 January 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Just a note: the coures aren't "based" off the MT courses, they simply mention MT as being a big influence for them and thinking that MT was on the right track, but the actual methodology or system is different (and in my opinion, much more effective).

Also, I think their Spanish is actually very good. I'll listen to it again, but when i first checked it out (apart from the Argentinean accent ;)) i remember being impressed by their Spanish.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5570 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 35 of 42
03 January 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Er, I didn't say it was based on the MT courses; I said it was based on their
development
of MT's work. In other words they took what was good in his
method
and added to it.
Don't you think that's true?

You may be right about the Spanish, I acknowledged that it was just my impression. I
rather liked the Argentinian accent too :-)

Edit: just listened to the first track of English for Spanish speakers for an example
of what I'm talking about. On 36 seconds he seems to me to say, "desde Reino Unido y
Estados Unidos". For me this should be "desde el Reino Unido". I listened to
this phrase a few more times to be sure and in fact on closer listening it seems like
he says "desde e Reino Unido", so perhaps I just have trouble understanding his
accent. The native Spanish speaker doesn't seem to have any such trouble, so it's
probably me.

Edited by Random review on 03 January 2012 at 6:39pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 36 of 42
03 January 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Oh, i misunderstood what you meant, sorry! I think you're absolutely right, i just think it's important to note that it's not simply an improved MT course. I'm really interested in seeing how the courses progress. Has anyone started either of the new courses yet? I'll need to go through the first part again, as it's been several months since i've done it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6931 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 37 of 42
28 February 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
For those interested, the Language Transfer project has now added the third level of their Greek course.

http://www.languagetransfer.org/

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 38 of 42
02 July 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
There have been a few major updates recently at Language Transfer.
1. The entire (complete) Spanish course has finally been recorded. This is a new course written from scratch and i imagine the recording is much clearer than the old Spanish course. It hasn't been uploaded yet as they are still in the process of cleaning it up and whittling it down to fit into 15-20 hours. This will be the first complete course released so we can get an idea what to expect after completing an entire course.
2. The Introduction to Arabic course is scheduled to be released this fall (though i think we've long since learned to take these dates with a grain of salt ;))
3. On a similar vein, the Introduction to Turkish course is also scheduled to start recording and there are plans for a Winter '14/'15 release. Unlike the Arabic course, they've already been giving Turkish workshops so they've already tested the course out a bit.

Personally i'd like to see the Greek course finished before expanding into the others, but i guess it depends on who's available for what.

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4397 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 39 of 42
03 July 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:

Personally i'd like to see the Greek course finished before expanding into the others,
but i guess it depends on who's available for what.

I second that. It's great.

By the way, is it possible to fix the spelling of Cyprus in the title or is it too late?

Edited by embici on 03 July 2014 at 1:28am

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5570 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 40 of 42
03 July 2014 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
There have been a few major updates recently at Language Transfer.
1. The entire (complete) Spanish course has finally been recorded. This is a new course
written from scratch and i imagine the recording is much clearer than the old Spanish
course. It hasn't been uploaded yet as they are still in the process of cleaning it up
and whittling it down to fit into 15-20 hours. This will be the first complete course
released so we can get an idea what to expect after completing an entire course.
2. The Introduction to Arabic course is scheduled to be released this fall (though i
think we've long since learned to take these dates with a grain of salt ;))
3. On a similar vein, the Introduction to Turkish course is also scheduled to start
recording and there are plans for a Winter '14/'15 release. Unlike the Arabic course,
they've already been giving Turkish workshops so they've already tested the course out
a bit.

Personally i'd like to see the Greek course finished before expanding into the others,
but i guess it depends on who's available for what.

I loved their Greek course too. I think I saw something on the website or FB page about
a new Greek course "late 2014".

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version