Olen
United Kingdom
Joined 4536 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Latin

Message 26 of 42
27 December 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Just received this sad response from the LT crew regarding their "Coming Soon" Farsi course:

Quote:
"Hello Olen,

The project is 100% unfunded at the moment so it's going much slower than what we would like. The focus at the moment is getting Greek and Turkish out and also Spanish will be recorded as soon as we can afford some new equipment!

Many thanks for your mail and your interest!

Mihalis Eleftheríou
Language Transfer
www.languagetransfer.org"

I am passionate about the development of open source learning. I encourage everyone to lend whatever assistance they are able to offer, be it donations, technology or expertise. I would be keen to see this project come to fruition, having seen the quality of their Greek course.

Edited by Olen on 27 December 2011 at 7:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 27 of 42
01 January 2012 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure how you can consider it to be copyright infringement, it's its own unique course and apart from asking you to translate sentences into your target language, the entire course content is different. Not to mention that these courses are looking to be much more thorough than the MT/Pimsleur courses.

I would also like to see development continue, they are currently looking to buy their own recording equipment (how things are recorded now is through borrowed equipment wherever someone can lend them a quiet room). The Greek course is indeed fantastic, i haven't had the chance to go through the second part yet but the first part got me really excited about learning Greek, a language i hadn't ever even intended to study. I started the course just to test it out and couldn't stop.

They are also in the process of writing out a course designing guide following the "Thinking Method".
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 28 of 42
01 January 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'm not sure how you can consider it to be copyright infringement, it's its own unique course and ...
Since I was the one who said "copyright infringement" I guess you're referring to me here. I don't know, I said "maybe". Maybe tmp011007 wants to clarify what [s]he actually meant by "sueable" and the reference to Hodder and Stoughton.
1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5867 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 29 of 42
01 January 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Crush wrote:
I'm not sure how you can consider it to be copyright infringement, it's its own unique course and ...
Since I was the one who said "copyright infringement" I guess you're referring to me here. I don't know, I said "maybe". Maybe tmp011007 wants to clarify what [s]he actually meant by "sueable" and the reference to Hodder and Stoughton.

for me it's more than a "maybe".. their "The Thinking Method, Ingles para Hispanoparlantes 1 + 2", which I guess it was their first attempt/course, has too much in common with MTM Spanish (there are way too many "coincidences" to call them coincidences).. and yeah, maybe the Greek course it's not this "sueable".. maybe the greek one it's like you say (Crush) "its own unique course..." -I don't know, I haven't downloaded it yet- but definitely the first Spanish to English version could get them in trouble

Edited by tmp011007 on 01 January 2012 at 10:38pm

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 30 of 42
01 January 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
I didn't know there were any MT courses with a Spanish base. What are they called? Like
Crush I can confirm that their Greek course is not a copy of the one Hodder made. Why
would they copy? They're not commercial so what would be in it for them?

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 31 of 42
01 January 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Neither did i, i know there is an English course with a French base, but i'm pretty sure there aren't any MT Spanish courses. Which course are you referring to? Or are you talking about the Spanish course for English speakers?

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5867 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 32 of 42
01 January 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
I didn't know there were any MT courses with a Spanish base. What are they called? Like
Crush I can confirm that their Greek course is not a copy of the one Hodder made. Why
would they copy? They're not commercial so what would be in it for them?

there aren't any MTM courses with a Spanish base (AFAIK) but "The thinking Method, Ingles para Hispanoparlantes"

some explanations are exactly the same.. some grand rules.. same "beep and pause" instruction (and even they stopped using it altogether the same as in the original MTM course).. some language instructions are in the same order (key endings -ible, -able... "guess vocabulary" instruction.. it is possible, it is probable, it is acceptable, it is for me..).. check the first three tracks and you'll see what I mean.. I'm not a lawyer but Paul Noble wasn't this obvious...

again, I'm talking about the first released version.. maybe the second one will be more like the greek version: not "sueable" :P - in fact, at the beginning of "ingles para hispanoparlantes" (track 0) Mr. Eleftheríou says something about a new version with a different approach, something more like the greek course

Why would they copy? They're not commercial so what would be in it for them?
maybe it was a matter of trial and error, testing limits, improving methods, etc.. the bad thing is, IMO, that could be dangerous ($$$)

don't get me wrong. I do like the course. it's just I wouldn't like to see this project coming to an end just like that, for a little bad movement

Edited by tmp011007 on 01 January 2012 at 11:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version