Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Would it be even possible to lose cases?

Tags: Grammar
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 9 of 35
11 October 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
And why did Bulgarian preserve its tenses, while polish lost them?
1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 10 of 35
11 October 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
MarcusOdim wrote:
Would it be even possible for a modern language possessing grammatical cases to lose all
of it's cases? ex: Polish

German is currently losing its genitive case, replacing it by a construction that uses the dative. There is even a book about this called "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod".
3 persons have voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6114 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 11 of 35
11 October 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Actually, it's happening in Polish right now. The vocative case is slowly falling out of use except for emphasis and I wouldn't be surprised if it became completely forgotten within the next century. There's also the denasalization of final ę. This is a regular phonological change - i.e. it happens in all cases regardless of the grammatical situation. But there are some cases which are distinguished only by the final e or ę sound. I'm not saying that this will happen in Polish, but this is a possible path. First, phonological distinctions are lost. Once two cases are identical in all situations then they merge into one.

As for the other way around, I think it's quite possible. This Wikipedia article even suggests that it's a trend for languages to go from analytical, to agglutinative, to fusional, to analytical, and so forth.

Edited by H.Computatralis on 11 October 2011 at 10:10pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 12 of 35
11 October 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
MarcusOdim wrote:
Would it be even possible for a modern
language possessing grammatical cases to lose all
of it's cases? ex: Polish

German is currently losing its genitive case, replacing it by a construction that uses
the dative. There is even a book about this called "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein
Tod".

I've heard this, although not yet read the book.

What do you think is driving this change?

I know that as English native speakers, when we can't think "on our feet" of the
correct German genitive, then we cop out and use "von" plus dative, but I can't think
that German native speakers would think like this.

Presumably this form of the genitive will not be lost:

Karls Haus.   Marias Buch.

Or what do you think?

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 13 of 35
11 October 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
And why did Bulgarian preserve its tenses, while polish lost them?

Not only were Bulgarian tenses preserved over the centuries, but they were elaborated upon and expanded. I
would guess that part of it is the influence of neighboring languages actually adding on to the verbal system of
Bulgarian (ex. - the renarrative mood is thought to have come from Turkish influence). I'm sure that after the case
system of Bulgarian collapsed, it was much easier to reconfigure and expand on the verbal system now that the
relationship of certain cases to the use of certain verbs didn't exist anymore.

Another factor is the trend in Bulgarian towards analytical sentence structures. The simple verbs in Bulgarian are
the present, aorist, imperfect, past participle (active and passive), and present active participle tenses, with their
respective perfect and imperfect aspects as well as some other forms that don't come to mind at the
moment. All other verbal forms are made up of several verbs connected together, each with their own tense,
aspect, and whatnot. This is really a great example of analysis in Bulgarian since a phrase like "щял съм да съм ял"
in reality is four conjugated verbs and a conjunction that make up one verbal form together.

Edited by Kartof on 12 October 2011 at 4:07am

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5218 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 14 of 35
12 October 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
MarcusOdim wrote:
Would it be even possible for a modern language possessing grammatical cases to lose all
of it's cases?

Yiddish, as spoken by Hasidic Jews in America, is losing his case system. No one has really studied it thoroughly but some say it could be due to living in an English speaking area.

More on the subject in this article.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 15 of 35
12 October 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
It's written about lose of genders, not cases.

tricycle
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5473 days ago

99 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 16 of 35
12 October 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I know that as English native speakers, when we can't think "on our feet" of the
correct German genitive, then we cop out and use "von" plus dative, but I can't think
that German native speakers would think like this.

This isn't a non-native speaker thing at all: the use of "von + dative" is quite normal and widespread as a genitive replacement in the spoken language. Even prepositions that are "supposed" to take the genitive are often used with the dative ("wegen dem Wetter" being more natural in conversation than the actually correct "wegen des Wetters").

For the 's' genitive examples you gave, I'd be far more likely to use the construction "das Haus von Klaus" but perhaps a native speaker should weigh in here.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version