Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Does your voice change with the language?

Tags: Speaking
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 49 of 53
10 November 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
I assume is the result of failed plastic surgery meant to make themselves more camera friendly.

(lol) When I was visiting South Dakota in October 2010 I kept hearing people talk through their noses and because everyone is so talkative and friendly I started doing it too. For two weeks I sounded like Francis McDormand in "Fargo". I came back to Europe and it was gone.
1 person has voted this message useful

kirocb23
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbo-Croatian, Serbian, German

Message 50 of 53
10 November 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Yes, this has happened to me. My voice gets deeper when I speak in German, for
Spanish... I can't really describe it for Spanish. And for the others, I have no idea
because I haven't had much of a chance to speak the others.

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5259 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 52 of 53
20 November 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
The phrase we're looking for here is "point of resonance." It's the spot in the oral cavity that you direct the airflow to from the vocal cords when you're speaking. With British RP, the point of resonance is closer to the front of the mouth. This changes the way the airflow goes through the mouth ever so slightly, resulting in a seemingly higher pitch and, incidentally, changing the way the mouth lines up to make a final r, which is why the final r pretty much disappears. For a language like French to have those nasal vowels, obviously, you're going to have to use your speech organs differently to pronounce it smoothly than you would, say, Russian.

A few people have intuited what's going on in posts above, and several have hit on the link between acting and foreign languages. For a preliminary explanation, here's a link to the importance of point of resonance for audiobook acting, specifically for doing a British RP accent vs. a Standard American accent:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_o3fI-b5WGAC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA 36&dq=%22point+of+resonance%22voice&source=bl&ots=eXRP_OiIzh &sig=4RUs3amzZvlASzSl2uCPQxmiRZo&hl=en&ei=_EjJTrTxDuSYiALS9v TpDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQ6 AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22point%20of%20resonance%22voice&f=false

Check out a book like Accents: A Manual for Actors if you're really interested. In learning how a British or American actor can sound more like a Frenchman or Italian, you'll find out some key features of different languages that might make your pronunciation of the actual language more authentic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 53 of 53
21 November 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Clickable version of the above:
Google Books search for "point of resonance" + voice = Acting with the voice: the art of recording books, by Robert Blumenfeld

BartoG wrote:
... you'll find out some key features of different languages that might make your pronunciation of the actual language more authentic.

Operative word: might. I distinctly remember watching The Princess Bride with some friends and one of them commented on the Spanish accent of one of the characters in the original (we were watching it dubbed). When we watched it again in English, I could tell his accent was clearly incomplete so for Spanish speakers it was obviously 'fake'. So beware of this and try to get your acting together :)

Edit: add IMDB link.

Edited by mrwarper on 21 November 2011 at 6:55am

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version