Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 4
18 October 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
According to my mother the following three changes had occurred when I came home to Norway after living alone in a Spanish family for 6 months when I was 11 years old.

1) My speaking speed had increased with 30 %
2) I spoke a lot louder
3) I wan unable to speak without moving my hands.

And I was constantly scolded for all three changes...

Have you had that happen to you too, that features of your target language spill over into your native language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jordan152
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

39 posts - 35 votes
Studies: English, Finnish

Message 2 of 4
19 October 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
I know many other aspects need to be covered if you are to be successful but are verbs and conjugation the key to successful language learning? I found in Finnish, my ability to comprehend and communicate shot up when I dedicated 2-3 hours a day working on learning and manipulating verb after verb. Unfortunately I seem unable to learn and retain more than 5-10 per day-

tried to open new topic, sorry for the hijacking

Edited by Jordan152 on 19 October 2011 at 2:12am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 4
19 October 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
You wrote 'TL culture / behavior' in the title but later asked about language features being carried over, which is in general quite different. So...

Of the three changes you say you experienced, only speaking louder would be partially a language thing, if you don't mind me carrying over yet more stuff from another thread :) and the other two are purely cultural, not necessarily language related, and surely highly dependent on where / who you study with.

I mean, I've been told that even as a 'foreign' speaker I tend to speak English and German fast, that is, faster than some natives, but I certainly speak slower than a lot of others I've seen/met. I'd say I'm in the middle group regarding speech speed in my native tongue as well. I also gesture while talking sometimes, but not a lot, and it's something I don't miss the least when I speak while using my hands for something else :)

On the other hand I'd say that habits are more likely than linguistic features to rub off on you —unless we're talking in-between stuff like loudness—, or a lot of people would end up speaking 'funny'. Of course this happens too, but in my experience it happens fewer times.

I always liked the 'when in Rome' adage, but personally I've never had others spot this kind of changes in me, probably because I was already too old (read: calcified) when I started travelling abroad, and I've never been away for too long. That might change in the near future, though, so I'll report back when I go somewhere for a while, get back home, and I'm told of any acquired peculiarities. :)

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4843 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 4
21 October 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes have a tendency in dutch to ask questions in a way that's not allowed, in a more french/spanish way.

Par exemple:
Ik could ask a fellow student:
Jij ben het 6de vrij? (with a rising tone)
Instead of the correct:
Ben jij het 6de vrij?

Translated it would mean: are you free after the 6th hour (are you done with school after the 6th hour (6th hour doesn't mean at six but the 6th hour of school we have, it ends at 2:05))

Edited by ReQuest on 21 October 2011 at 8:41pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version