Triglot
Canada
Joined 4204 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 17 of 19
29 October 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Personally I've never tried ChinesePod before. I'll be looking into other Pods such as FrenchPod to see how they
are. Don't think someone needs to get through more than a few hundred lessons before being able to read a local
newspaper, listen to a news broadcast or watch a local TV series.

Many structured lessons tend to become boring after a while. When you get down to specific terms that may not
be used everyday you pick them off other speakers or just watching shows on TV like the names for the 4 suits on
a deck of cards I've picked it up from a Taiwanese magician. At the end of the day you want to be able to
communicate with a native speaker. You're not going to get standard greetings and replies every time you meet
somebody like "Hello, how are you? I'm fine, thank you and you?" or "Ni hao, wo hai hao, ni ne?" type of thing.

Interesting to explore different learning options available besides Pimsleur & Rosetta Stone.

Edited by shk00design on 29 October 2012 at 10:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

gio_gogo
United Kingdom
Joined 3371 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English

Message 18 of 19
25 September 2015 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
^^ HTLAL needs a report post/user button.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 19
26 September 2015 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Actually it exists, though I guess there's a minimal post count, given that you don't see it.

edit: the post in question has now been removed :)

Edited by Serpent on 27 September 2015 at 11:00am

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version