Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 49 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
This thread started out pretty interesting but now it's just weird. I'm interested in using polyglottery as a vehicle to achieving a more global perspective on human culture, but these latest posts just look confusing and unhelpful to me.

Ari,

Good to see your post again.
What you wrote caused me to reflect upon some issues and I wrote several posts, including my response to lichtrauch, within which are elements that address your concerns.

Edited by futurianus on 10 December 2011 at 1:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 50 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
A Pause for Self-reflection:

I admit that some of my expressions and thoughts are weird and mumbo-jumbo sounding.

As for the formal and technical linguitic aspects(just in case you find it uninteresting and unhelpful), my heart is not in it, but it must also be respected and be incorporated into the whole system of panglotism. As I see it, there can be cultural or anthropological panglotters and linguistic panglotters. I belong to the former, but the world also needs professional linguistists with more academic and technical approaches and I hope that some of them will also become panglotters. It has been my motto to follow the principle of mutual respect and cooperation with the experts and authorities in other fields, all the more so in our day of explosion of knowledge and specialization.

Some of my following posts might address some of these issues further.

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 51 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
On the Individual Nature of Panglotism as Discussed Here:

Sometimes it takes much time and effort to communicate when there is a great distance in the way people think and a great gap exists between the experiences they had in life. I might have oversped with some ideas expressed here. Due to my time constraints which makes it difficult for me to spend much time to write posts here, I might have wanted to say too much without considering how the readers might think, turning my posts into my monologues rather than an effective communication.

I am expressing my own brand of translingualism and panglotism and I am taking some liberty in doing so, as it seems to me that others have not expounded on the idea of panglotism with a system and logic in the way I am doing now, and I feel that I should express even my own individual views and motivations, even as my own individuality and peculiarities are inseparably tied to the origination, motivation and main concepts of the 'panglotism' as being expounded here. Should panglotism become more widely accepted, discussed and practised, my own personal peculiarities would naturally become superfluous and peripheral and more well rounded panglotism that can embrace broader range of people would arise.

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 52 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Two Different Approaches of Translingualism:

There can be two different approaches in translingualism:
1) translingualism
2) panglotism

1) Translingualism: Even though translingualism includes panglotism, it is a much wider concept that can embrace much broader spectrum of language and culture learners. It is an approach that is actively appreciating and pursuing a more global language learning objectives.
2) Panglotism: Panglotism belongs to translingualism, but is an extreme expression of translingualism. It is specifically targetting the mastery of the most of the major and secondary global languages, with the total number of languages being 20 or above. It is also the most mature and complete form of translingualism. If minimal translingualism or globalglotism is the skeletal structure with sinews and basic organs, panglotism will further add muscles, flesh and skins over it and perfect the functions of some organs such as eyes, ears, nerve system, etc.

Many people might think that the goal of panglotism is such a titanic task that cannot be realized within their lifetime and that I am just babbling away my own crazy unrealistic wishes with some sophistication. I do believe, however, that it is a very realizable goal, only requiring an equal amount of time and effort to become a polyglot or a superpolyglot, with a proviso that one chooses right approaches and methodologies.

But then even what that 'goal' is must first be more finely defined and needs more explications.

In lieu with my last point, let me point out another aspect of panglotism, which might be misunderstood or difficult to understand: requirement for a more systematic and strategic approach to translingualism, especially in the seemingly unnatural and artificial selection of languages.

Let me mention that I have dabbled in most of the major and secondary languages of the world in real life situations with the native speakers and been exposed to their cultures first hand. I am not like what some people might imagine of a sedantic professional linguist who treat languages as if they were inanimate objects(no offense intended to linguists), but am someone who had to struggle between his globally expanded language interests via his various cross-cultural experiences and the limiting realities of life, and had tried to organize his life experiences and language encounters in a way that would maximize his effort in pursuing his expanded language interests.

Edited by futurianus on 10 December 2011 at 2:20am

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 53 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Concentrating on Panglotism:

Now, I am concentrating my posts on Panglotism, the most extreme expression of translingualism, because my heart is in it and because I am somewhat under pressure of time and do not want to spend too much time discussing the basic issues of general translingualism, in the fear that I might not be able to discuss panglotism in full for quite a long time at this pace.

Once, however, I do finish explicating my version of Panglotism, much of the concepts of translingualism would become evident as a by-product and I might also try to discuss more on general translingualism, for which topic many people who are learning or have mastered languages from other groups would find a cord that strikes them and feel more comfortable participating in the discussion.

2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 54 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Living Growth of Translingualism and Panglotism:

Even as one who has gained a working level in German would then want to tackle on Spanish or French, given right stimulation and opportunity, one who has acquired confidence in one or more language(s) from an entirely different group and has experienced first hand how it has helped one to experience and understand totally different culture in a profound and self-expanding way that could not have been possible without gaining a working ability in their language, would be more likely tackling on learning languages from some other groups, should the opportunity and stimulation be given.

This is how translingualism grows, as it is not just an abstract conception, even though it might seem and be interpreted to be so by some, but something that grows out of one's life experiences.

The depth, strength and vitality of the motivation of a bi- or tri-translingual would be different than that of someone who has not yet had intensive transcultural and translingual experiences, but was stimulted enough to learn multiple languages whether from the same group or different groups. There is quite a difference in subjective motivation that has just begun to have a life of its own and that which has already grown through a longtime living experiences and achievements in different languages.

As one grows older in age and languages, one finds oneself with a clearer sense of the limitedness of one's lifespan and a much more realistic idea of what it is to acquire languages from other groups and what it takes for one to do so. Now, if your language learning goals have become much broader and include many more languages than ever before, and you really want to pursue them, but find that you are not as free with your time as before and that life had put many heavier responsibilities upon you, you would be forced to become more systematic in choosing and studying your languages.

This is exactly what has happened with me. Through a serious struggle between my expanded motivation and hard realities of life, I had to rethink about many issues involved with learning languages and drastically restructure my choice of languages and my approach to foreign language learning.

It is just that I happen to be much more seriously interested in understanding different cultures and global civilization than languages, and in my attempt to subsume my language interests under the structure of my greater passion, which gave them birth in the first place, I had to develep my language goals in line with my overarching passion .

I spent most of my adult life dealing with the issues of globalization and rise of planetary civilization. It was only belatedly when I was finally given opportunities and stimuli of actually spending significant amount of time in quite a number of different cultural regions, that I began to appreciate the key value of learning languages for better understanding different cultures and our world in general.

Before this, I was just simply way too busy to even consider the idea of learning any foreign language at all. I could have thought that, except for those who made a living out of foreign languages, students or retired people, anybody who would spend time doing so would be someone who did not have much better things to do with life. Thus, I can understand why many people might think it strange or even misinterpret my motivation for pursuing panglottic goals.

I had moved from one extreme to another.

Panglotism is not a notion that I just had abstractedly concocted up because I had limitless time in my hand and was bored to death with life or to compete with anybody else. It is a fusion of my lifelong passion for global civilization with language learning, with much thoughts given to the practicability and actual attainability of it, even as I value my time very much and abhor using my time for impractical or useless objectives.

Edited by futurianus on 10 December 2011 at 12:31am

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 55 of 67
10 December 2011 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Ari wrote:
This thread started out pretty interesting but now it's just weird. I'm interested in using polyglottery as a vehicle to achieving a more global perspective on human culture, but these latest posts just look confusing and unhelpful to me.

Same.

The topic demands more discussion, but not in this muddled way.

Lichtrausch, it is nice to hear from you again. I thought that most people, including you and Ari, had lost interest in the topic, as there were no posts after that of Chung's on Nov. 1st. Last several posts starting from my response to Ari also contain some elements which might address your concerns too.

If some of people here do really seriously try to have sincere and intelligent discussion on the topic and not get off tangent into other trivial or negative areas, I would be more motivated to commit myself to make time to write more on the topic, even if it means I sacrifice a few nights of sleep. It seems that I must sacrifice one night for substantial posts. I did so again couple days ago, for which I had chided myself throughout the following day, and I have done it again tonight, as I felt that if I do not do so while I am at it, I may not be able to come back to it for a while.

As I have said in my posts above, I am trying to concentrate on the topic of panglotism and I wrote some posts in preparation for further discussion of it. There is a reason for doing some preparations and it will become clearer later on. They have not been connected to the yet unmaterialized posts and thus would not be seen in the wider context and might cause some confusion.

I am glad that you value this topic and that it 'demands more discussion'. Now I feel more motivated to quicken my pace here. But I may be somewhat slow to do so, as it would most likely mean sacrificing my sleep and I must be very careful with that at my age.

Though you are targeting about 10 languages from different languages and cultural groups in order to have more global understanding of our world and different people groups, what you are doing, in my opinion, will lay a foundation for much more than what you might have expected or purposed.

Discussing on the topic of panglotism will bring about a fuller and clearer picture of the hidden powerful potentialities within translingualism and might very well actuate them.

Edited by futurianus on 10 December 2011 at 1:24am

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4795 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 56 of 67
20 March 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Passing Words: Panglotism and Future of Humanity

Within growing worldwide polyglot communities, there is an emergence of a new generation of polyglots with more globalized objectives and orientations. I am somewhat hesitant to write more on the subject due to various reasons including time factor and its receptability, but I do want to analyze and evaluate polyglotism and its most extreme expression, panglotism, within the larger context of globalization and future of humanity.

There is a need to imbibe the past and present intellectual and cultural heritage of humanity, and then there is also a need to chart a new course for our future generations. The panglots and polyglots, along with other community groups, will play their part in meeting those needs and will participate in the process of planetary transformation. It is only within the larger context of this future process that the nature and role of panglotism will truly be revealed and receive its appropriate theoretical and ideological foundation.

There is a great energy of the 'future' coursing through the naissance of this constituent member of the new imperial interiority, new mindset, clarifying inner eye of future humanity and it is demanding a finely worked out theoretical vessel to incorporate it. It is part of the organizing process of the newer world, which is heightening the awareness of the polyglot community as to its role within the larger process, putting more self-consciousness into the gigantic stream of human energies channelled into foreign language learning.

I drop these words quietly in passing, acquiescing to their impulse to root themselves here, despite a concern for them becoming dirted pearls.

Edited by futurianus on 20 March 2012 at 9:21pm

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version