Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Panglot and Panglotism: new type of polyg

 Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
67 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Senior Member
Norway
Joined 3519 days ago

4143 posts - 8862 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

 
 Message 25 of 67
31 October 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Ok. So let me get this straight: According to your beliefs, all 30 000 learners on this forum are inferior learners, with the exception of two or three, because they have not learned languages from 5-6 different language families? And your two examples of this wonderful new breed of language learners are Wendy Wu and Cesare M? You might possibly let Mr. Arguelles qualify?

I am afraid I am too down to earth for your philosphy. I learn languages because I have some sort of use for them. But to each his own.
2 persons have voted this message useful





Iversen
Super Polyglot
Moderator
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 4888 days ago

9078 posts - 16470 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 26 of 67
31 October 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
I may also be an inferior learner according to this panglottic notion, but have chosen just to disregard it. The concept itself is relevant - actually I would also like to know languages from a wide varety of groups around the globe, but have chosen another strategy because I tend to learn languages by building on those I already know. I do think that it takes more time and effort to learn unrelated than related languages, but it also takes more time and effort to learn many languages than it takes to stick with one or two - time wich is taken from other activities you might have delved into.
3 persons have voted this message useful



futurianus
Senior Member
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 3194 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

 
 Message 27 of 67
31 October 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
So hey, is the important thing the different language groups or global languages? At first I thought this thread was about learning the big global languages and get a more global perspective on human culture, but now it seems it's more specifically about language families and getting a larger perspective on human language.



The primary thrust is on 'learning the big global languages and get a more global perspective on human culture' through a systematic approach. I took a little detour, in response to lingoleng's perceptive and relevant comments, into some subsidiary matters which are related to the theme, but are not essential to the main thrust. I will get back on the main track, once I clear up some matters, as I have not yet finished dealing with other important factors relavant to globalglotism and panglotism.



Edited by futurianus on 31 October 2011 at 3:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful



futurianus
Senior Member
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 3194 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

 
 Message 28 of 67
31 October 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Ok. So let me get this straight: According to your beliefs, all 30 000 learners on this forum are inferior learners, with the exception of two or three, because they have not learned languages from 5-6 different language families? And your two examples of this wonderful new breed of language learners are Wendy Wu and Cesare M? You might possibly let Mr. Arguelles qualify?

I am afraid I am too down to earth for your philosphy. I learn languages because I have some sort of use for them. But to each his own.



Let me clarify a thing first.

I have never writen that someone who is not learning languages from other groups to be 'an inferior learner'. If you could show me the place where I had mentioned so, I will correct it and make a formal apology here. First check to see whether it is my own word or somebody else's humorous interpretation of what I had said.

-----------
A: Hi, I want to do A in such a way(B).
B: You are saying that I am an inferior practicioner because I am doing it my way(C). How could you say so? I am upset because I feel that you have insulted me!
A. What? I think you have misunderstood me. I do respect you and I do not think you are an inferior practicioner because you are doing it your way(C).

What I am saying is that I want to do A in a way(B) because
--For me(focus is on me, and not on you),
--I want to achieve certain results(A-1: focus is on my objectives, and not your objectives, which might be different from my objectives, but I do fully respect your objectives)
--for the reasons(A-2: my own personal reasons, wich might be different from your reasons, but I do fully respect your reasons)
--using the strategy and approach which I prefer.(B: my own preferred strategy and approach, which might be different from yours, but I do fully respect your strategy and approach)
--because of these reasons below........



--First check to see whether your goal 'A'(A-X, A-Y) is same or different from my goal 'A'(A-1 objectives and A-2 reasons) to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings and arguments, as it could be that we are talking about two entirely different things even about 'A', let alone about approach(B).

Further explications:
--I have no desire to impose my approach on anybody else, even as I had already mentioned in another fashion. If you think that my approach makes sense and get some useful insights out of it, it is fine. If you disagree, it is perfectly OK and I respect your disagreement.
--I am only trying to delineate why I chose my approach(B), the task of which has not been fully completed due to distractions, but I do not want to insult anyone as an 'inferior learner' just because we have different approaches.

--If someone want to discuss and investigate whether approach(B) might be better suited to achieve certain specific results(A-1 only and not any other--more globalized language acquisition) for certain specific reasons(A-2 only and not any other--better understanding of the various cultures and peoples, which are quite different.), I am willing to discuss and debate about the effectiveness and even about the superiority and inferiority of an APPROACH(B), and even growl, bite and cross our swords if necessary to do so. I, however, have no desire to discuss the inferiority of a PERSON, which I think is out of line and a total waste of time for no profitable purpose, and I would like to politely ask you to refrain from making a personal accusation of me, that is, putting into my mouth the things which I did not say, which does not do me justice and takes the readers' attention away from the serious discussion of the more important conceptual topics at hand.

--'You might possibly let Mr. Arguelles qualify?-->??? Did I do something wrong here? Let me know which of my statements might wrong him in anyway and I will look into it, and change it if necessary, as I have no desire whatsoever to do him wrong.
futurianus wrote:
.... I searched at the beginning with much interest for people who have achieved fluency in four or five different language groups, but could not find any except an ex-forum member called ProfArguelles who seems to have much qualifications to discuss matters concerning learning languages outside of European group, but he does not seem to be around here anymore. ....
......
It would help this forum if people like ProfArguelles would more actively participate in the discussions, especially on more globalized language learning issues and strategies.




--I see that you speak French, one of the most difficult languages for me to master. Quite an enviable skill as I love French very much and wish I could be fluent in it. I have an awe and respect for anybody who has mastered French as a non-native speaker.



2 persons have voted this message useful



futurianus
Senior Member
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 3194 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

 
 Message 29 of 67
31 October 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I may also be an inferior learner according to this panglottic notion, but have chosen just to disregard it. The concept itself is relevant - actually I would also like to know languages from a wide varety of groups around the globe, but have chosen another strategy because I tend to learn languages by building on those I already know. I do think that it takes more time and effort to learn unrelated than related languages, but it also takes more time and effort to learn many languages than it takes to stick with one or two - time wich is taken from other activities you might have delved into.



Yes, Bahasa Indonesia(Bahasa Malay) is such a fascinating phenomenon, isn't it? The closest twin language to English in structures, though filled up with exotic vocaburies. I suspected that someone must have invented it and searched for its origin a number of times, but could not find any individual inventor.


I appreciate you for explaining your strategy and the reasons for adopting your strategy.

Your consideration of time factor is indeed a very important practical issue. Time factor(mainly deadlines for me) plays a crucial role in making me choose one languages each from different groups, which is very opposite of your approach. I need some time to ponder more about why you chose that path and to have a better understanding of your strategy, even as I am feeling a certain gap between you and me, which needs to be somewhat bridged over before I can respond to you in a way that is constructive. Even if our goals(objectives and reasons) are same, our approaches might still have to be differently worked out due to other factors, such as our life and work situations, background training, availability of time, deadline constraints, personality traits, problem solving stlyes, etc.







Edited by futurianus on 31 October 2011 at 4:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Ari
Heptaglot
Senior Member
Norway
Joined 4767 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

 
 Message 30 of 67
31 October 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
futurianus wrote:
The primary thrust is on 'learning the big global languages and get a more global perspective
on human culture' through a systematic approach. I took a little detour, in response to lingoleng's perceptive and
relevant comments, into some subsidiary matters which are related to the theme, but are not essential to the main
thrust. I will get back on the main track, once I clear up some matters, as I have not yet finished dealing with other
important factors relavant to globalglotism and panglotism.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on the matter. For me, my sojourns into foreign
language territory have in some ways certainly made me expand my cultural boundaries. Mandarin and Cantonese
have in particular helped me see one of the major events of this century (the rise of China) from a more nuanced
perspective. I suspect I won't be able to stop myself from learning Arabic in order to better understand one of the
other great themes of our age, namely the emergent islamic extremism. However, I have entirely failed to use my
French skills to gain a better understanding of French Africa. Do you have any thoughts on how one practically goes
about using these language skills to further one's cultural knowledge?
1 person has voted this message useful





Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Moderator
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 4032 days ago

5445 posts - 6003 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

 
 Message 31 of 67
31 October 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, but I don't have any language collecting ambition and neither do I want to impress anybody with my language hobby. Out of very different reasons I get interested in certain languages and then I decide to learn them. For me it's most adequate to learn one language after the other while maintaining the previous learned languages. For my satisfaction with the learning process it's not relevant to which language group the languages belong. Due to my life circumstances (no travel possibilities!) I feel no necessity to learn for example Asian or African languages. Turkish is a special case because there are many Turkish inhabitants in the city where I live. But it was not because of the Altaic language group that I decided to learn Turkish.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 October 2011 at 5:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Senior Member
Norway
Joined 3519 days ago

4143 posts - 8862 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

 
 Message 32 of 67
31 October 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
futurianus wrote:

I have never writen that someone who is not learning languages from other groups to be 'an inferior learner'. If you could show me the place where I had mentioned so, I will correct it and make a formal apology here. First check to see whether it is my own word or somebody else's humorous interpretation of what I had said.



I do not think I have the energy for this debate. I hate it when people attribute to me opinions I do not have, so if that is what you feel I have done to you, I will only say that I am sorry for that, and wish you luck in your endeavour. Come back and tell us about it when you succeed.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3276 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.