Heather McNamar
United States
Joined 4604 days ago

77 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 1 of 32
28 October 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
This has been on my mind for a while, but I was inspired to ask it by another thread in the forum. My question is, would you learn a language even if there would never be any chance you would use it? For example, suppose I wanted to learn German, but I don't know anybody who speaks German and I don't know if I ever will meet anybody who speaks it. If you learn a language, it's generally expected that you will use it in some capacity, after all. Any thoughts?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6481 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 32
28 October 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Yep. For the sake of it. Languages have a worth of their own for me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4666 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 3 of 32
28 October 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Dito. I learned Icelandic just out of curiosity what it might be like. I would love to go to Iceland and use my Icelandic one day but just now I don't have any plans of actually doing so. It's the same with my Swedish and Scottish Gaelic. I have never had the opportunity of using them two but I just had to learn them.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6404 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 32
28 October 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
I don't have much opportunity to use any language that I've studied, except for opportunities I create for myself. I
went to China to use my Mandarin; I didn't learn Mandarin because I wanted to go to China. I have never had any
use for my French or what little Spanish I know.

There is no language I can think of that would be useful to me, but I still like studying them. Knowing a language is
to me mostly a byproduct of studying it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6372 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 5 of 32
28 October 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Here's what
furyou_gaijin said about this.
I recommend to read the whole thread. It really changed my philosophy about
learning languages. Thank you furyou, wherever you are.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5156 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 32
28 October 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I cannot imagine any language which I would never get to use. I will always have some reason for learning or dabbling in a language, although my reason may sound queer to everyone else, and I will always find some use for it.

English - get to use it all the time
Spanish - useful to speak with my friends
French - practical when I go to France and Belgium, and for pronouncing the names of my beloved historic roses, which are mostly in French
German - useful in Germany and for pronouncing German roses
Arabic - great for speaking with friends or going to Arabic countries
Hebrew - useful in Israel
Italian - useful for holidays in Italy and for pronouncing wines
Dutch - would have been useful to speak with the members of a commission I am part of where the majority of the members speak Dutch or Flemish
Polish - would have been incredibly useful to communicate with all the Poles working in Norway
Swedish - practical when speaking with immigrants in Sweden who do not always understand Norwegian so well
Russian - useful for work purposes and to speak with friends
Greek - got me lots of extra smiles in Greece
Swahili - would have been useful if we had gone where we had planned this autumn instead of Mauritius
Slovak - would have done wonders for my communication with some friends who help me in the garden
Turkish - will be great for when I go to Turkey in two weeks

What could possibly be a language I would find no use for? Welsh, Native American languages, Elfish?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6731 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 32
28 October 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I don't have much opportunity to use any language that I've studied, except for opportunities I create for myself. I went to China to use my Mandarin; I didn't learn Mandarin because I wanted to go to China.

This is interesting - almost since the day I started studying Mandarin everybody has kept asking me "So, when are you going there?". I'm not in a hurry.

As soon as it's about languages, you get questioned about use, what point there is studying this and that, and so on.

The only language I have real use for is English (people from abroad tend to visit libraries, and then the local university has a number of overseas students who all speak English).

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5947 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 8 of 32
28 October 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Use Finnish? Ugh, well, I guess, I never thought about it, really.   Hmm. I suppose useful for irritating Finns in internet chatrooms with confused Finnish.   Puzzling through Finnish websites. The number of times I've actually 'used' Japanese or any other language in some useful way, maybe like just a handful. Really, I think I'm more into the learning. Maybe some kind of use will pop up in the future when I get better at this.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version