Joined 5670 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 22
31 October 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
It can be very embarrassing when you are presented to a group of unknown people and another person gives wrong information about your language abilities. Once it happend that a friend of mine presented me to her Spanish course members and said: This is "Fasulye" and among several other languages she speaks fluent Turkish. I have some passive knowledge of Turkish but completely no speaking ability and it feels very awkward when a third person makes false claims about your language abilites. I experienced this only once and I hope it will never happen again.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 October 2011 at 8:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4996 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 22
31 October 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I don't learn languages for the sake of learning languages. I learn languages to...
COMMUNICATE. That's why I'm interested in languages in which there's a high
chance a native speaker of the language does not speak English. To this end, any time
I get an opportunity to use a target language, I seize it. To me, there's no point in
learning a language and then shying away from using it in real-life situations. It's
not the same as playing the piano or having a stamp collection, which are much more
private matters.

Of course, I wouldn't march up to a person and go: "Hi, my name is ABC. I speak XYZ
languages." However, if during a conversation, I find out that the person speaks a
language that I happen to speak as well, I would have no qualms about engaging the
person in that language. And it doesn't matter if I make mistakes. How else am I
supposed to improve?

Edited by strikingstar on 01 November 2011 at 12:29am

3 persons have voted this message useful

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4997 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 19 of 22
31 October 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
I didn't tell anyone I spoke French (or German or Spanish) until we were on the plane
over the Atlantic.

I'm not as reserved anymore. I only bring it up when it's pertinent to the conversation.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4682 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 20 of 22
31 October 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I hide the nut for several reasons. First of all, people make big eyes when I say about languages such Macedonian. And especially when I say about the number of these languages. The second one is that they can consider it as absolutely useless. It's better in big cities (luckily I live in one of them currently), but in my borntown (not really "hometown")I had a situation, when people from my class in high school saw my "Slovene for travellers" book, they have asked "why do you learn such language instead of Spanish, French?". The third thing - questions like "will it be useful in your future work?" that I ABSOLUTELY hate.
And the most irritating and demotivating thing - their doubts and question "how many of them do you ACTUALLY speak?". And it's especially demotivating for a person like me who's just starting his linguistic journey.
So, even my friends don't know about ALL of my languages. Maybe that's better...

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6838 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 22
04 November 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I hide the nut. For me it's great to be able to know what's going on around you and be able to eavesdrop on a number of conversations without other people knowing you understand, but maybe I'm just strange that way.

Leipzig
Hexaglot
Wales
Joined 4626 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC2, Lowland Scots, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Welsh, Tok Pisin, German, Italian

Message 22 of 22
05 November 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
It's unusual for me. I don't really boast about my language learning, but everyone who
knows me is aware of my linguistic studies, since teaching languages is my vocation. I
tend to be self-effacing about it, but I do leap at any opportunity to use my languages
where appropriate, even my least developed ones. After all, what is the point of
learning a language if one does not use it?

I do share the concerns of some other people here though. I have been mortified by being
introduced to native speakers as fluent in languages where I'm a beginner. On the plus
side, I've been able to help many friends take the plunge into learning languages, who
would never have approached me for advice, information and solidarity had they somehow
not known about my languages.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version