Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Best of HTLAL thread?

Tags: Hit List | HTLAL
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like a Best of HTLAL thread?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [85.29%]
5 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 23
30 October 2011 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Would you like to see the forum's best posts in one thread? If so, please vote "yes"

If you cast a "yes" vote, I encourage you to give your input as to what the thread should include. If "yes" is a
clear winner, I'll pm the admin and ask him to set it up, make it sticky, etc, provided your suggestions have made
such a thing necessary.

Edited by leosmith on 30 October 2011 at 8:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 2 of 23
30 October 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
I voted "yes" so here's what I'm thinking. All the posts with over a certain number of votes would automatically
appear the the "best of" thread, with a link to their original thread.

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5237 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 23
30 October 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
There are so many important posts that honestly it would be hard to find any specific
topic (the first L-R description, for example) any faster than it now is to simply search
the forum.
I suppose though if the threads were hyperlinked-to, and organized by theme/topic/
language etc, then it could work just fine.

Although given the do-it-yourself nature of language learning as it is discussed on this
site, I sometimes think that a wiki would be the best way to organize things. This idea
is of course not directly on topic, but as long as we're asking...
4 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4834 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 23
30 October 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
What a wonderful idea. I have found the thread " Assimil vs. U.S language programs" to be invaluable. I will have a look for specific posts within that thread.

I think two of your posts should be in their too, namely "its not just about Pimsleur" where you discuss forming a learning plan, and I know you did another one about developing listening comprehension which I have found incredibly useful, although I cant remember what it was called.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5185 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 5 of 23
30 October 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
I say yes, although as dbag points out, there are entire threads which are valuable, as well as single posts about a topic. Therefore an automatic system might not work to the full advantage desired, and so I agree with a wiki from Leurre's suggestion. Wikihtlal (reminds me of Nahuatl). I think a Wiki that is editable only by Senior Members and above is a good suggestion for this.

In terms of incorporating into a thread, perhaps a Wiki could be set up with the thread just linking to it? I don't know about the forum's technical capacity to hold an internal Wiki. That sounds like mumbo jumbo science talk to me.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 6 of 23
30 October 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
I like your suggestions. Some comments.

If we start looking through the forum for what we think are the best posts, without counting votes, we are basically
saying our opinions are more important than the collective forum. I know voting is at times unhelpful, but can't
think of another way to decide that doesn't require a ton of work. This is my assumption, since I'm not a
programmer.

Regarding the wiki - do you really think it would organize the data better than the forum? Also, I wonder if the
admin would even be willing to do this, since easy sorting is one of the bennies of becoming a paying member.

And regarding sorting currently, it's pretty bad, from the standpoint of a non-paying member.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 7 of 23
30 October 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
As a side note, I'd like to have a thread with "best one-liners" or "funniest posts" or something like that. Maybe put
it under cultural experiences or something like that. This is somewhat inspired by the immortal
best of craigslist.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 23
07 November 2011 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
It's not a bad idea, and I think that starting by wading through posts with the highest number of votes is the least flawed way. There are at least a couple of problems though. Because voting only began a couple of years ago, I suspect that most votes are distributed among posts starting from 2009. Yet I find it unlikely that the quality of the posts since 2009 is unusually higher than those before then. Thus a compilation of the best posts would be biased toward those from 2009 or later.

Another problem, albeit lesser is that votes can accumulate on anything that strikes a chord with readers, including posts that express political or ideological views. Those and ones with biting comebacks should be treated separately as leosmith suggests above.

If time isn't an issue, I'm open to working slowly with several others to put together collections of "best" threads. I may as well put my Pro Membership's enhanced searching function to good use.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version