Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Best of HTLAL thread?

Tags: Hit List | HTLAL
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like a Best of HTLAL thread?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [85.29%]
5 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 23
07 November 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to see one thread that has the forums's best postings sorted by number of votes in descending order.
Don't you think it would be a wonderful read?

Honestly, I would think so but often posts are awarded votes because they made the reader laugh (and I'll laugh tears if this one gets a vote) so to get a real best of people would need to read all threads and mark them as possible candidates, and then one person would have to go through all the candidates for a certain topic and, well. If you're bored.

Edited by Bao on 07 November 2011 at 11:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 23
07 November 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone read Huff Post?

They use a badge system alongside the voting system. You can vote for as many posts as
you like but you only have a limited number of badges to give away. And everyday, you're
given one more badge to give away. They accumulate if you don't give them away. There are
various types of badges, e.g. "Witty", "Insightful", "Smart" and "Hip" so perhaps a post
which has surpassed a threshold number of "Witty" badges could be added to a "HTLAL Most
Witty Thread" and likewise for the other badges.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5779 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 23
08 November 2011 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Perhaps we could call it "Special Features" (that's really bad, actually . . . ) or something like that, instead of "Best of."

My idea is a little different from earlier proposals in this thread, although I fully support the attempt to extract quality contributions in a way that's separate from the voting system. I would not complicate the voting system as it is now - it's not perfect, but it's simple. It's a reputation system,that's all, a standard social feature for user-generated internet communities. Maybe,though, we could use some other feature to counterbalance the information it gives us.

Bear with me - these ideas are still unformed and changing! Especially since I've read many very useful comments in this thread, I've begun to think differently about my own ideas and about how we might do together this as as a forum project.

I'm not sure if or how it could be effectively done within an individual forum thread. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep track of comments/feedback for our contributions. Hmmmmm . . . more to think about. Well, let's keep brainstorming, maybe way can find a way to do this.

And, of course, no way could be perfect or absolute or guaranteed to please everyone -
accomplishing this would require patience, research, effective decision-making, and ongoing work to actually produce a work of general value.

(Yikes! What am I saying? Help! I have ideas and they are not all practical or good! Well, trying ideas out now - will think a bit more and write them up in a more coherent) form) <---oh no no no, mistaken punctuation, a sure sign that it's time for me to get offline NOW!

Edited by meramarina on 08 November 2011 at 12:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 23
08 November 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I just gave Meramarina one vote for a witty post. Which in a nutshell illustrates our dilemma.

And its being an excellent illustration of the problems under discussion is one more reason for rewarding precisely that post.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5779 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 23
08 November 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, yes I think we could do this, somehow,, but it's a dilemma to imagine how we'd turn this from promising idea(s) into genuine results. I think we could do it, but it would not be quick or easy and must involve much trial and error. Let's keep the ideas in this thread (not only mine!) as possibilities, though, even if we don't have a solution or plan just yet.

Keepin' it short!

. . . and sure, restraining myself from submitting every single thought I've had this decade for the sake of spontaneous discussion perhaps is voteworthy if it helps me to be concise and sensible, because I have a sad history of attempting to trying to describe semiformed ideas, some of which might have been, eh, book-length . . . with bibliography!. . . oh, shame. (really!)

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 22 of 23
09 November 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Because voting only began a couple of years ago, I suspect that most votes are distributed among posts
starting from 2009. Yet I find it unlikely that the quality of the posts since 2009 is unusually higher than those before then.
Thus a compilation of the best posts would be biased toward those from 2009 or later.

True

Chung wrote:
Another problem, albeit lesser is that votes can accumulate on anything that strikes a chord with readers,
including posts that express political or ideological views.

Also true.

meramarina wrote:
I've had a similar idea for a long time but have been unsure of how to put it into practice. You're right -
there is a wealth of excellent information and insight in the forum archives and gathering it and presenting it in a more
condensed, thematic form would be a fantastic resource and would really highlight the ideas and experiences of the forum
participants over the last seven years. Topics might be either instructional, or for reference and/or language related
entertainment.

Creating quality articles would, of course, require a serious investment of time and energy, but we could do it! We could start
by trying a few articles and posting them in the collective writing room, then work as each other's peer editors.

Love this idea.

Bao wrote:
I'd like to see one thread that has the forums's best postings sorted by number of votes in descending order.

So would I. While we are deciding what to do about selecting the "best of" properly, how about if I run a poll on this specific
"top 100" idea, and then pm the admin after we have proof of strong support? In my experience, he's pretty good about doing
things that a poll has shown support for. Meanwhile, we can continue to brainstorm about a better "best of" thread. Opinions?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 23
09 November 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
There is one radically different way of organizing 'best threads'. In Youtube you can make 'playlists' by picking a number of videos and so to say connecting them in a long row. I made something similar a couple of years ago: I collected a number of my own posts, arranged them tematically and organized the whole thing as af five part guide to learning languages.

But then the job was finished, and because I rarely add new materials these threads never surface on the chronological views, which means that few people read them. Besides the selection exclude threads about a specific language or specific grammatical constructions etc. - after all the guide is placed in the subforum dedicated to learning techniques and methods.

There is only a limited number of members here who have written enough to make their own complete guides, but you could also make similar collection threads with contributions from several members about specific themes - not necessarily specific learning techniques. One problem could be that many posts are difficult to extract from their original context, and I also had to add quotes in several places to avoid the problem of bleeding chunks (the picture of Shylock's "pound of flesh" flickered through my mind!), but such deliberate collection threads for single posts would probably be more interesting than complete threads - few threads keep a consistently high level the whole way through.

OK, I doubt that this proposal will be realistic - collaborative writing has not been the first thing on most people's mind...

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version