Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Grammar or Pronounciation more important?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5834 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 28
30 October 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post.
...snip...
Personally, I think emphasis on pronunciation is neglected. All the foreign language classes I took in school had almost no emphasis on proper pronunciation. Most people were content with an English version of whatever the sound was.

It wasn't a matter of not being clear, it's a matter of not saying what you meant.

You explicitly asked which was more important in the title, rather than asking if either is neglected.

You're not the only one to do this -- in fact, one of the biggest problems in language learning is that people tend to look at what's lacking in one teaching methodology and build a new one around that, ignoring the good of current methodologies.

They all start out the way you did -- overstating the problem while understanding the problem. But they talk themselves into believing what they say, rather than just saying what they believe to start off with.

I find myself doing the same thing, but thankfully there are people round here who tend to bring me back to Earth and show me my mistakes.

So when you're criticising existing techniques and methods, be very careful to say what you mean right from the start.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5834 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 28
30 October 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
That said, if forced to, I'd chose
IronFist wrote:
Grammar and vocab: 5/10
Pronunciation: 10/10

...because pronunciation is something that gets harder and harder to improve the longer you're learning. Grammar too, actually, but vocabulary just keeps getting easier.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6260 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 11 of 28
31 October 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
That said, if forced to, I'd chose
IronFist wrote:
Grammar and vocab: 5/10
Pronunciation: 10/10

...because pronunciation is something that gets harder and harder to improve the longer you're learning. Grammar too, actually, but vocabulary just keeps getting easier.

That's something I didn't even think of.

If you are to the point of having your poor pronunciation ingrained as a bad habit, then it probably would be harder to fix the longer you keep doing it the wrong way!

Back to answering my own question, I think pronunciation is more important. If someone comes up to me and enunciates clearly: "help! Map lost. Where bathroom?" I know exactly what they mean. But if they come up to me and are like "excuse me, I've lost my map and can't seem to find the bathroom. Can you please tell me where it is?" but I cannot understand any of it, it's not really going to get anywhere.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5131 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 12 of 28
31 October 2011 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:

Back to answering my own question, I think pronunciation is more important. If someone comes up to me and enunciates clearly: "help! Map lost. Where bathroom?" I know exactly what they mean. But if they come up to me and are like "excuse me, I've lost my map and can't seem to find the bathroom. Can you please tell me where it is?" but I cannot understand any of it, it's not really going to get anywhere.

But there you're comparing
poor but comprehensible grammar
with
totally incomprehensible pronunciation.
Of course you'd prefer the former!

What if the poor but comprehensive grammar went
"Bathroom lost! help map where?"
instead?
1 person has voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6260 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 13 of 28
31 October 2011 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

What if the poor but comprehensive grammar went
"Bathroom lost! help map where?"
instead?

You lost the bathroom? I will show you where the maps are!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4879 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 14 of 28
31 October 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Grammar is more important and vocabulary is much more important than both grammar and
pronunciation. For example, you all see my grammar mistakes (no one corrects them,
however), don't you? Do you care how I pronounce those words? I spoke English when I was
in Denmark for a week. Becides that, I have never had a necessaty to speak English beyond
the classroom. And this is a very frequent situation. Although that's true that it is
difficult to correct one's pronunciation after long studying.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5131 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 15 of 28
31 October 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:

You lost the bathroom? I will show you where the maps are!

Thanks for that :)

I can't decide between grammar & pronunciation. I'll just choose good grammar + poor pronunciation because then at least I'd make sense when I write. For oral communication I really don't know.

Edited by smallwhite on 31 October 2011 at 9:34am

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 28
31 October 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I say pronunciation, because in most languages your pronunciation needs to be very good just to be consistently understood, whereas your grammar only needs to be decent. Of course "very good" and "decent" are hard to quantify, but that's my general observation.

Also, good pronunciation impresses people a lot more and gives the impression that you're a "good speaker" more than good grammar does, which, besides providing a nice ego boost, makes native speakers take you more seriously and be more willing to speak with you. At language meetups I've met quite a few people who've lived in France for a year or two and speak with a very good accent but make a lot of basic grammatical errors, and they're always considered good speakers and taken seriously. Also, the fact that these people have acquired a good accent but not good grammar says a lot about which is more important for someone in a situation where they need to use the language :)

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version