Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 9 of 13
04 November 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Indeed, I'd say 50 hours is plenty. The exact factor depends on what languages you
already know of course, or whether you learned a foreign language before.

If you don't mind a bit of a struggle, you can even start immediately by reading a
novella in Esperanto: Claude Piron wrote "Gerda Malaperis" specifically for this purpose.
At http://en.lernu.net/kursoj/gerda_malaperis/1-1.php you can read it and
click on any unknown words to get an instant translation. It's much nicer than the old
grammar-and-a-dictionary method that Tolkien used to learn Esperanto. After you have
completed "Gerda Malaperis", I would follow that up with another easier-than-average work
or a parallel text, and then you're set to read whatever catches your interest.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 10 of 13
04 November 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I dabbled three weeks with Assimils Esperanto and read one of those easy novels of Claude Piron (La malsana kiso). After that I could tackle normal literature without problems (I believe I started with Ende's La senĉesa rakonto)

Learn to read is a piece of cake, if you already know some European languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5488 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 11 of 13
05 November 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Great, thanks Sprachprofi & Cabaire.

I'm on lernu so I'll try "Gerda Malaperis" when I get the chance. I tried some beginner courses on lernu, and got through a lot of Bildoj kaj Demandoj, but I've never found any learning material that I really liked or got excited about. I think the Assimil method spoiled me, with the recorded dialogs and all, but unfortunately Assimil Esperanto isn't in English, and I've heard it's not too good.
1 person has voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4945 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 12 of 13
06 November 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like a great idea. I don't have books in as many languages or about as many countries, nor should I be buying more books, but this thread did inspire me to take all my unread foreign language books as well as some English ones that I've been wanting to read and order each language by difficulty and interest then take three from the top of each language and put one by my bed one by the couch and one in my bag. My reading speed is too slow in all my foreign languages to get 25 or maybe even 10, but I'm going to make myself finish 5 at least! And even more next year so I can maybe buy new books at some point without feeling guilty.

Edited by hjordis on 06 November 2011 at 10:03pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5488 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 13 of 13
31 December 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Just wondering: how is your reading going?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version