Diglot
United States
Joined 6514 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 26
02 November 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
I got into Turkish for a few weeks this year, but I had to cut it short when I got an opportunity for Spanish immersion. Other than that, I've been dabbling recently with French and Italian, and since I happened upon some resources and I made a few friends who speak it, I'm hoping to do the same with Quechua sometime before the end of the year. Of course, getting beyond dabbling with any of them is not far from my mind.

PaulLambeth wrote:
However I have a question: is Russian pronounced (fairly) phonetically? I've heard Bulgarian is, with the addition of a couple of letters, but I've not heard about Russian pronunciation. I ask this because if I'm to pronounce things written in Cyrillic, the chances are they'll be mostly Russian words, and I'd like to know if the words'd sound totally wrong.

Yes, in my experience Russian is quite phonetic. It's important to get the stress of a word right, as well as the accent, and there are a few rare irregularities, but beyond that I think you'll find that it is pronounced phonetically.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6978 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 26
02 November 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I dabbled when I spent a month working on Inari Saami. It was never in my plans but came about anyway when I made an impulse purchase of a kids' textbook this summer. My goal all along for Saamic had been to learn some Northern Saami since the resources for it are relatively abundant.

Apart from that I generally don't like to dabble since I'm ultimately dissuaded by the opportunity cost of forgoing efforts to study the languages which not only interest me strongly but are ones in which I figure I have a reasonable chance at attaining basic fluency (or in the case of Northern Saami high-intermediate competency) through independent study thus avoiding potentially expensive periods of immersion.

PaulLambeth wrote:
I WANT to dabble in the Cyrillic alphabet, as in learn to pronounce it. However I have a question: is Russian pronounced (fairly) phonetically? I've heard Bulgarian is, with the addition of a couple of letters, but I've not heard about Russian pronunciation. I ask this because if I'm to pronounce things written in Cyrillic, the chances are they'll be mostly Russian words, and I'd like to know if the words'd sound totally wrong.

As to Russian pronunciation (and phonemic and phonetic spelling) my short answer is that compared to say English, Russian is read aloud rather phonetically. Compared to say Finnish, Russian is not. This post from a thread in Word Reference says it better than I could.

palomnik (Word Reference) wrote:
It has been said that Russian spelling is phonemic, not phonetic, and that is an apt, if somewhat unclear, description.

Since the pronunciation of many Russian vowels changes depending on whether they are stressed or not, and since stress shifts are common in Russian noun and verb paradigms, it would be extremely difficult (and probably hopelessly complicated) for Russian spelling to be truly phonetic. Instead, Russian tends to spell each phoneme as it would sound if it were stressed.

Thus for the noun дело the nominative and genitive singular forms are дело and дела. The genitive ending is -a, but both forms are pronounced alike since the stress is on the first syllable; to spell both forms the same just because they're pronounced the same would cause more confusion than anything else, since the proper endings for the nominative and genitive cases are -o and -a, and the fact that they are pronounced alike here is only due to the vagaries of stress and is, in a certain sense, incidental. The nominative plural is дела, which is spelled the same as the genitive singular but the stress has moved, and the pronunciation of the -a has changed.

The problem for the learner is knowing where the stress falls. If that seems frustratingly complicated, take comfort in the fact that Russians sometimes don't get the stress right either, especially with those longish, bookish words that you rarely hear spoken out loud.

If you'd want to learn Cyrillic alphabet, why not try it from Macedonian or Belorussian? They're broadly similar to Russian Cyrillic (Belorussian Cyrillic in particular). The advantage of the former that I can see is that Macedonian spelling is a closer representation of pronunciation which has a rule that stress is fixed on the third-last syllable (or first syllable for words of two syllables). On the other hand Belorussian Cyrillic represents in a certain way Russian spelled more phonetically. Russian spells unstressed a and o as if they were stressed, but Belorussian spelling reflects this particular difference in stress. The following post from that same thread in Word Reference is by a native Russian.

Etcetera (Word Reference) wrote:
The point is that there are several dialects of Russian which differ mainly in pronounciation. For example, in Northern Russia people pronounce хорошо as [хорошо], but in Southern Russia this word will sound as [харашо]. The standard Moscow pronounciation is closer to the second.
That's why I always have difficulties when trying to read something in Belarusian. The language is quite close to Russian (closer than Polish, for example), but as its spelling is phonetic, the words look rather strange for a native of Russian. Especially when this native happened to be born in Northern or North-Western Russia.

I myself haven't studied either Belorussian or Russian seriously but based on my studies of Ukrainian, learning Cyrillic from Ukrainian may not be a bad option either. It has mobile stress like Russian but Ukrainian's lack of strong vowel reduction means that you don't get anything close to the inconsistency between spelling and pronunciation as you can see often in Russian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4710 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 11 of 26
02 November 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Sadly (in some opinions) I've not dabbled that much this year and have only really been learning Swedish.

I did have the occasional idea to dabble in Irish, Polish and Egyptian Heiroglyphs but have managed to just stick to the one language - Swedish. I have found myself slipping French thoughts into my head after someone speaking French to me in the street... I might have to jump back into French sooner than I had planned to...

I purchased some learning books from a charity shop - Slovak, Japanese and French but have yet to delve into them...

I might try and stick to just Swedish until the new year... I'd rather get further in this one language before I start any more lol - but that's just me :o) I'm not a very good multi-tasker...

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5669 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 26
02 November 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I can understand travellers that they want to dabble in the language of the countries they want to visit, because it's useful, if you already have a bit of knowledge of the country's language. When I cross the border, I'm in the Netherlands and I speak Dutch fluently, so there is nothing for me to dabble. My trip to Danmark was a great exeption, so I decided in due time to make a real language study of Danish to prepare my stay there instead of mere dabbling. I don't see any chance for future travelling, so therefore there will be no necessity to dabble in some languages.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 November 2011 at 5:47pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6731 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 26
02 November 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Does thinking "I'm totally going to learn this language!" and then giving up a few weeks later count as dabbling?

If so, I've dabbled/flirted with Dutch (I've "read" a couple of children's books without any formal experience at all other than the slightly similar German vocabulary).

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5551 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 14 of 26
02 November 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I dabbled in Esperento too for about 2 months, but decided there are other natural languages (natlangs) that I want to learn first. I kept a log, and other forum members were great at dispelling my misconceptions about Esperanto, so I'm glad I did it.

I dabbled a little in French, but decided I wanted to try German first.

I dabbled in Russian a very small amount, and don't know how to read Cyrillic, but it looks like a language I might try later.

I also dabbled a little in Italian, and for a very, very short period of time I even thought about trying 4 languages at once, but it was a very bad idea for me. Italian looks great, and I'd like to try it in the future once I learn some other languages better.

I already mentioned German, and I think I can study it regularly with Spanish, so for the moment I'm at the very least actively dabbling in German, but time has been at a premium for me lately, so I haven't studied languages this week yet.

I don't know how successful I was at other things, but it was a very good year of dabbling. Dabbling is probably one of my favorite things to do, and I've even considered keeping a wanderlust/dabble log, but decided against it.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5804 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 15 of 26
02 November 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
When I first saw this post I thought "oh no, it's all been about Japanese this year for me" and then I slowly started to remember:

I flirted with Russian much earlier in the year. I got about two thirds of the way through learning the Russian alphabet and learned a few greetings before deciding I didn't have the time.

The civil unrest in the UK over the summer temporarily reignited an interest in French as I was curious as to how the rest of the world viewed the situation. I still remember enough French from school to pick my way through a French newspaper so I spent a couple of weeks doing this.

I even played with German at one point. I got three days into Assimil before I decided, as with Russian, that I really don't have enough time.

And finally, I'm not sure if my relationship with Welsh counts as dabbling as I never really got as far as actually studying it, but I've been preoccupied by the thought of learning it throughout the year. I took some books out of the library but never really did anything with them.

With all this dabbling going on, I sometimes wonder what was different about Japanese that I decided one day to learn it and have just kept going since then.

iscem42
Diglot
United States
Joined 5072 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 16 of 26
03 November 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
I tend to think that I'm dabbling, but it always seems to develop into something more long-term. Perhaps Dutch and
Catalan are exceptions, though even there it seems that I've developed a surprisingly functional reading knowledge,
even if I don't plan on formally studying them in the near future.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version